Cullin on Boom Lake

Old August 11th, 2006, 09:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
WARREN WOLK

Default Cullin on Boom Lake

Yup, the dream might become a reality:

A longstanding state law that prohibits culling in Wisconsin might be
lifted, pending the outcome of a study by the Department of Natural
Resources. Wisconsin Bass Federation president Mike Hoffman said the outcome
will likely boil down to a battle between those who support tournament
fishing and those who are against it. Click here to read more about the
issue on BassFanArmy.com.

I, for one, am dyin to get back on Boom & do some culling lol.

WW

Old August 11th, 2006, 10:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

WARREN WOLK wrote:
Yup, the dream might become a reality:

A longstanding state law that prohibits culling in Wisconsin might be
lifted, pending the outcome of a study by the Department of Natural
Resources. Wisconsin Bass Federation president Mike Hoffman said the outcome
will likely boil down to a battle between those who support tournament
fishing and those who are against it. ...

The outcome *should* be decided by science and fact, not
by a "battle" between opposing interests.

I think tournament fishing is silly but I don't have a
problem with it so long as it doesn't adversely impact
the fishery. If it does adversely impact the fishery
then I'm all for regulating it with game laws like a
prohibition on culling. Either way the issue should be
decided by science and not by popular opinion.

Probably more than my two cents worth.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old August 12th, 2006, 01:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"WARREN WOLK" wrote in message
news46Dg.3880$hH1.95@trnddc08...
Yup, the dream might become a reality:

A longstanding state law that prohibits culling in Wisconsin might be
lifted, pending the outcome of a study by the Department of Natural
Resources. Wisconsin Bass Federation president Mike Hoffman said the
outcome will likely boil down to a battle between those who support
tournament fishing and those who are against it. Click here to read more
about the issue on BassFanArmy.com.

I, for one, am dyin to get back on Boom & do some culling lol.

Well Warren, Randy is looking for someone to split expenses coming out for
the NWC, why don't you get in touch with him and come on out?

Tournament fishing in general and culling during tournaments in particular
has become a real hot button item here in Wisconsin. There are two camps
that have become extremely divided on the entier issue. Part of the problem
lies in that the way the "Culling Regulation" is being proposed, is that you
would only be allowed to cull during a permitted tournament. The general
fishing population could still not cull.

One side is saying "It's being done all over the country without problem, so
why not here?"

The other side is saying, "I don't fish in tournaments, so why shouldn't I
be able to cull as well?"

It has become quite an emotional issue, with the anti's seeing ANY
tournament fishing as raping the resource, using "public resources" for
personal gain. The tournament supporters are arguing, "Hey, at least at the
end of the day, we're releasing the fish back into the lake, not into a deep
fryer, so we're not hurting anything."

But then you have the recent FLW disaster where 580 bass died after a
tournament, fueled with reports that "My buddy at work said that his dad's
neighbor up at Lake X knew a guy that said there were dead fish floating all
over the lake after a tournament." It doesn't take too many of these
instances, real or not to give tournament fishing a black eye.

Bass fishing is kind of in it's infancy here in Wisconsin, with a major
portion of the population fishing for walleye, panfish and other "eatin'
fish." Many don't understand how someone could fish all day, just to let
those fish go! (I have many fishing friends that still think I'm odd,
chasing "Green Carp") Those that do fish strictly for fun and are
proponents of Catch and Release tend to be muskie anglers, and EVERYONE in
the state understands wanting to catch a musky and release it.

Like I said, it's an emotion charged issue and when the dust settles, one
group or the other isn't going to be happy.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old August 12th, 2006, 03:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"WARREN WOLK" wrote in message
news46Dg.3880$hH1.95@trnddc08...
Yup, the dream might become a reality:

A longstanding state law that prohibits culling in Wisconsin might be
lifted, pending the outcome of a study by the Department of Natural
Resources. Wisconsin Bass Federation president Mike Hoffman said the
outcome will likely boil down to a battle between those who support
tournament fishing and those who are against it. Click here to read more
about the issue on BassFanArmy.com.

I, for one, am dyin to get back on Boom & do some culling lol.

WW

Does Wisconsin require a permit for tournament fishing? If it doesn't could
this new adjustment to regs lead to requiring one?

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old August 12th, 2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
.. .
"WARREN WOLK" wrote in message
news46Dg.3880$hH1.95@trnddc08...
Yup, the dream might become a reality:

A longstanding state law that prohibits culling in Wisconsin might be
lifted, pending the outcome of a study by the Department of Natural
Resources. Wisconsin Bass Federation president Mike Hoffman said the
outcome will likely boil down to a battle between those who support
tournament fishing and those who are against it. Click here to read more
about the issue on BassFanArmy.com.

I, for one, am dyin to get back on Boom & do some culling lol.

WW

Does Wisconsin require a permit for tournament fishing? If it doesn't
could this new adjustment to regs lead to requiring one?

Wisconsin does require tournament permits once they are above a certain
size. This number is determined by number participants and the value of the
prizes awarded. Most smaller tournaments such as the Northwoods Classic
don't require a permit.

Old August 12th, 2006, 04:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

[...]

That sounds reasonable... I would sure be interested in seeing the new regs
if I was affected to see how it applies. For instance would the culling
allowed reg only apply to permittted tournaments, or could two guys decide
to go fishing and claim they are having a tournament.

Old August 12th, 2006, 05:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message SNIP

Does Wisconsin require a permit for tournament fishing? If it doesn't
could this new adjustment to regs lead to requiring one?

Wisconsin does require tournament permits once they are above a certain
size. This number is determined by number participants and the value of
the prizes awarded. Most smaller tournaments such as the Northwoods
Classic don't require a permit.

That sounds reasonable... I would sure be interested in seeing the new
regs if I was affected to see how it applies. For instance would the
culling allowed reg only apply to permittted tournaments, or could two
guys decide to go fishing and claim they are having a tournament.

From what I've read in the preliminary regulations, culling would only be
allowed in permitted tournaments. So, your scenario would still be a
violation of the state's "No Culling" regulations.

If the new ruling does go into effect, then participants in the Northwoods
Classic would be able to cull, providing I as tournament director, applied
for and received a permit.

Old August 12th, 2006, 07:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:
Tournament fishing in general and culling during tournaments in particular
has become a real hot button item here in Wisconsin. There are two camps
that have become extremely divided on the entier issue. Part of the problem
lies in that the way the "Culling Regulation" is being proposed, is that you
would only be allowed to cull during a permitted tournament. The general
fishing population could still not cull. ...

That's just flat out wrong. Preferential treatment for tournaments ?
That's outrageous. If anything tournaments should have *more*
restrictive regulations than recreational fishing if only because
tournament fishermen catch more fish per capita than recreational
fishermen.

If I lived in Wisconsin I'd be livid. And vocal in my opposition
to this wrongheaded nonsense.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old August 12th, 2006, 08:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joe Haubenreich

Default Culling on Boom Lake

Administrators in the state fish and wildlife agencies do what they think is
best when they write and enforce regulations that will help them achieve
their mission objectives. That includes strategies like closed areas,
fishing seasons, minimum and maximum sizes, slot limits, creel limits, and,
apparently, cull/no-cull rules.

If a situation arises where granting an exception to the usual strategy
better enables the agency to achieve the mission, there are usually
provisions in law that they can follow to authorize the exception.

In some states, for instance, tournaments are perceived as beneficial to the
agenda of the wildlife resource agencies. They encourage tournament tours to
compete on their lakes. The license fees and permits paid for by
participants, and the residual increase in license purchases by additional
folks attracted to the sport by the tournaments, help fund the agencies'
habitat protection and improvement programs. Therefore, they weigh the pros
and cons of sticking with the regulation, granting a temporary exemption, or
writing the exception into the code.

For example, didn't we receive an exemptions for our Southern Classic
tournament on Okeechobee? I understood that lake normally has slot limits,
but tournaments may apply for a exception. I recall we carried a permission
slip with us as we fished.

Was that fair to anglers who had to release slot fish immediately? I think
so. "Fair" and "identical" are not synonymous. One can treat situations and
people differently and still be fair. Parents with more than one kid do it
all the time. In Wisconsin, if this rule is passed, the non-tournament
angler who wishes to cull could do so by fishing an authorized tournament.

IMHO, the issue of allowing tournaments to cull fish on lakes where other
anglers cannot isn't a matter of right and wrong. No ones rights are being
trampled. It is simply a strategy that the agency might consider as they
seek ways to best achieve their mission, i.e., to sustain an abundant,
healthy resource for the benefit of the people of the state.

Joe

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
om...
snip:

Old August 12th, 2006, 09:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Joe Haubenreich wrote:
[...]

Your argument, as I read it, boils down to tournaments may be
cash cows for Wisconsin DNR and so tournaments are deserving
of preferential regs because the cash they generate helps fund
all DNR programs.

If that's your argument, I couldn't disagree more. Fishing regs
should be implemented to protect our fisheries. Period. Cash cows
shouldn't enter into the equation.

--
Ken Fortenberry