Howdy all!

Old August 20th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Stan Gula

Default Howdy all!

I hope you've all had a great summer. Mine has been less than great, less
than bad, actually. Let's just say that the march up to Death's Door last
winter was just the teaser, and this time I lit a bag of dog poo on his
porch.

Didn't fish too much this year - but I did finally get to the rumored 'pond
with the big bluegills' and caught a few hogettes back in June that put some
stress on my favorite 4 wt.. I've got a hunch that the next Massachusetts
record is in one of the 4 ponds in the general vicinity and hope to work
them all seriously next year when I get back on my feet (or rather back in
my canoe).

Haven't been fishing for trouties since Penns Creek and I am *really glad* I
went this year for so many reasons. I'm already making plans for next year.
If I'm financially solvent (iffy, but hopeful) I'll be there for 2 weeks.
Life is too short to sit in a ficking office all the time.

*OT stuff*

Spent some time looking at Internet comic strips recently and highly
recommend this one. This strip is especially for Jeffie and wayno - no
offence intended of course. Use the back and forward buttons at the bottom
of the page to see other strips. The guy is very clever.
http://www.qwantz.com/index.pl?comic=596

Also found this one which has some amazing comic art (IMHO) and interesting
story ideas.
http://www.boltcity.com/copper_001_r...ackfantasy.htm (this is the first
of the series - use the next button at the bottom to go through them in
sequence).

I'm amazed that people give this stuff away.

Tight lines everybody.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Old August 20th, 2005, 05:13 AM
JR

Stan Gula wrote:

Haven't been fishing for trouties since Penns Creek and I am *really glad* I
went this year for so many reasons. I'm already making plans for next year.

And I for one am *really* glad to hear from you here and that you're
already making preliminary plans for Penns. Subject to the same caveat
regarding financial solvency, I hope to see you there. We made plans to
have a long talk, but somehow in the confused Kaleidoscopic claveness of
it all that didn't happen. Always next year.....

Take care of yourself,

JR
(BTW, you read Babb's latest book yet, "Fly Fishing Fool"?)
Old August 20th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Stan Gula

JR wrote:
We made plans to have a long talk, but somehow in the confused
Kaleidoscopic claveness of it all that didn't happen. Always next
year.....

We *did* sort of fish together for a day though. I can't believe we went to
the only section of river without any bugs that day. Catching some fish
would have been nice too ;-)

(BTW, you read Babb's latest book yet, "Fly Fishing Fool"?)

I mostly read non-fiction, and especially avoid reading fly fishing fiction
and fly fishing magazines. I did read a Gierach book a couple of weeks ago
(it was a gift so I felt obligated - didn't like it much).

Did you like Babb's book? (had to look up a review on Amazon to find out
who he is)
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Old August 21st, 2005, 03:38 PM
Jeff Miller

Stan Gula wrote:

I hope you've all had a great summer. Mine has been less than great, less
than bad, actually. Let's just say that the march up to Death's Door last
winter was just the teaser, and this time I lit a bag of dog poo on his
porch.

from our discussion at penns, i thought the med folks finally figured it
out, you were cured, and doing better. trust the new stuff is quickly
and fully overcome and resolved. in any event, get well and be well.

Life is too short to sit in a ficking office all the time.

ahh, it appears someone has finally gotten you the proper prescription...

This strip is especially for Jeffie and wayno - no
offence intended of course.

none taken...it seemed to me the strip was actually about chiropractors
and realtors (no offense intended, of course) g.

oh...and cormac mccarthy has a new book out..."no country for old men".

jeff
Old August 21st, 2005, 06:45 PM
Stan Gula

Jeff Miller wrote:
from our discussion at penns, i thought the med folks finally figured
it out, you were cured, and doing better. trust the new stuff is
quickly and fully overcome and resolved. in any event, get well and
be well.

This is a totally new and out-of-the-blue disease (although it's another
autoimmune disorder, which frankly is freaking me out - two in 8 months,
hoping it's not a trend). So now have type I diabetes and will be injecting
insulin for the remainder of my days. 'Juvenile' diabetes at 52 - ain't
that a kicker. This is something that's manageable though - millions of
people do it every day.
-
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps
(who will never again be able to use the phrase "At least I've got my
health")

Old August 21st, 2005, 08:58 PM
Jeff Miller

Stan Gula wrote:

'Juvenile' diabetes at 52 - ain't
that a kicker. This is something that's manageable though - millions of
people do it every day.

so then, you're getting younger, eh? it would really be the ****s if you
had "old man" diabetes.

rachel shoots up every day with forteo for her osteoporosis (she lost 5%
bone mass last year, and is trying to build new - she hasn't grown a
horn yet). frankly, i think she's "enjoying" it mainly because she knows
how much i hate needles and how sqeamish they make me. anyway, she also
has auto-immune problems...high white cell counts, frequent headaches,
chronic pain, etc...all without any identifiable cause. she's still
kickin. champs keep playing despite the pain. keep on playing stan.

jeff
Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:29 AM
Wolfgang

"Stan Gula" wrote in message
...'Juvenile' diabetes at 52 - ain't that a kicker...

Best news we've heard lately.

Wolfgang
who knows that people with juvenile onset diabetes frequently live for
another 50-60 years.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:04 AM
Cyli

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:45:19 GMT, "Stan Gula"
wrote:

Jeff Miller wrote:
from our discussion at penns, i thought the med folks finally figured
it out, you were cured, and doing better. trust the new stuff is
quickly and fully overcome and resolved. in any event, get well and
be well.

This is a totally new and out-of-the-blue disease (although it's another
autoimmune disorder, which frankly is freaking me out - two in 8 months,
hoping it's not a trend). So now have type I diabetes and will be injecting
insulin for the remainder of my days. 'Juvenile' diabetes at 52 - ain't
that a kicker. This is something that's manageable though - millions of
people do it every day.
-
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps
(who will never again be able to use the phrase "At least I've got my
health")

Good lord. You have a really over working immune system.
Do they still recommend that insulin users keep some candy on their
person in case of getting too much insulin?

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: lid (strip the .invalid to email)
Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:28 PM
Wayne Knight

Stan Gula wrote:

Did you like Babb's book? (had to look up a review on Amazon to find out
who he is)

FWIW, I liked Babb's book. Not as much as I liked his first two books
but still a good read. As he seems to have been *discovered*, there
seems to a little more *fanciness* to the trips he writes about and I
don't find those essays as enjoyable as his other self depreciating
essays but overall I found it an enjoyable read. If one is so inclined,
in the annual bird hunting edition of Gray's Sporting Journal, he wrote
what I felt was a very enjoyable essay combining Maine Brookies and
Grouse.

I agree with you on Gierach, I've not enjoyed his last few books going
back to the Cane book. Not sure why but seems he just puts a book out
every year to put one out and get some revenue. While not literate
enough to be a decent critic, it seemed in the days of "Trout Bum" or
"Sex, Death, and Fly Fishing" his stories were more entertainment, now
they seem like a contract obligation.

I know you mentioned not liking fly fishing fiction but the Traverse
Corners series is a decent read for those recuperating from chronic
health conditions or too far away from a decent trout stream. Much less
stressful than that damn book of NY Times Crosswords my daughter gave
me

Wayne

Old August 22nd, 2005, 09:57 PM
Stan Gula

Wayne Knight wrote:
I agree with you on Gierach ... snipped his stories were more

entertainment, now
they seem like a contract obligation.

Yep.

I know you mentioned not liking fly fishing fiction but the Traverse
Corners series is a decent read for those recuperating from chronic
health conditions or too far away from a decent trout stream. Much
less stressful than that damn book of NY Times Crosswords my daughter
gave me

I have no idea what "Traverse Corners" is and neither does Google, but I do
like the NY Times crosswords.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps