Fly Rod

Old September 22nd, 2007, 03:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Fly Rod

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 00:32:22 GMT, LabRat
wrote:

I'm not really concerned about their monetary value, just wondering. I
like using them every once in a while when I feel like being a bit
traditional.

IMO, the highest and best use of good old fishable cane is, well,
fishing with it. It is good to determine the monetary value for purely
practical reasons; for example, if one unknowingly had a really rare
Gillum, it would be good to know for insurance purposes and so that one
could make an informed choice whether to keep it, sell it, donate to a
museum, etc. However, IMO, unless a rod is in such a class, it deserves
to be fished, enjoyed, and cared for and about.

Just like my grandpa's old fiberglass fly rod that I refurbished back in
'83 or so. He got me hooked on fishing when I was three so I try to get
him a trout every year.

And so, its value is well beyond the monetary, and I also have some
family gear. For me, I'd rather get the one trout a year on such a rod
than 1000 on this year's ridiculously over-priced "NEW AND IMPROVED!!!"
graphite sucker rod...actually, I'd rather just go fishing, regardless
of the catching, with such a rod, aware of its place in and meaning to
my life.

TC,

Later......

LabRat...... |:^{)

Old September 24th, 2007, 02:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hopefully I won't get flamed for this post........It should be on
topic but lately even on topic post get certain people into a ****ing
contest but I have broad shoulders and can take it......A gentleman
that I do work for was cleaning out his attic and came acrost a
Monteague(sp) Bamboo rod two tips hardly used he said his uncle gave
it to him as a boy but he had forgotten about it he remembers using it
a couple time but it was his uncles before that.........The rod is
beautiful the cork has a little use stain on it has been in a rod tube
for the last 30 or so years.......... he thinks his uncle bought the
rod in the 40's any idea the worth of this rod.......All info kept
confidential and you will not be held to the price you quote

Mike,
I believe the correct spelling is Montague, and there were a few models that
I know of: Manitou, Redwing, Rapidan to name a few. The price is usually
depended on the condition of the rod, tubes, labels, even the original
cloth.
I could try to help, I do have a few books and ref that I can use.
I'll need more info about the rod, length, number of pc. weight of the rod.
Pics would also be a lot of help.
-tom

Old September 25th, 2007, 05:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike

I just looked at it quickly and noted the sticker and
condition.........I didn't have alot of time to go over it closely as
I was looking over some work he wanted done........He will be back the
middle of next week I'll get the rod and look it over more closely and
report accordingly.........I would like to thank all who replied the
info was very informative it's just hard to believe that some bamboo
fly rods and worth thousands of dollars....................Again
Thanks All