knotted leaders

Old December 29th, 2006, 09:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus

Default knotted leaders

"G. J. Z." wrote in message
I think you'd be surprised at how efficient one can become at it.

I guess, but I tie all of my leader segments with blood knots and between
length measurement and tyin' I can't imagine tyin' one in less that 4 or 5
minutes each.

Op

Old December 29th, 2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
RalphH

after all these years, that's still priceless!

--
Some of my angling snaps:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/gallery/vi...bumName=RalphH
wrote in message
ups.com...

egildone wrote:
I have been looking at making hand made leaders and wonder how many roff
members make handmade knotted leaders and are they worth the effort
that it takes to make them?

Ed

I hand whittle mine from 9 ft long sections of solid nylon bar stock.

Your pal,

Halfordian Golfer

Old December 30th, 2006, 04:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

egildone wrote:
I have been looking at making hand made leaders and wonder how many roff
members make handmade knotted leaders and are they worth the effort
that it takes to make them?

Ed

I think that learning to make custom leaders is an important knowledge
to have. Understanding how to repair a tapered leader is also
important. If the leader breaks off to high up on the leader it is nice
to be able to quickly repair it. I used to tie my custom leaders using
a blood knot. Now I use a double nail knot thanks to The Winder ( it
is a knot tying tool), other guys just use the surgeons knot to repair
or build leaders. I wrote a free ebook that is on my site for anyone
to download it has a basic custom leader chart in it, and illistrations
on how to tie the basic knots used in flyfishing www.willowreed.com

Miles.

Old December 30th, 2006, 04:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus

"G. J. Z." wrote in message
thats fast

Yes, I'd say so. Unrealistically fast, IMO. I can tie-up a leader in about
10 or so minutes, I guess. I've never actually timed myself. I measure and
cut a number of tippet lengths that I figure on tyin', and then tie. I
don't doubt a person can tie them up faster than myself. I feel that the
blood knot is the strongest and straightest tie for leaders. I don't know
this to be a fact, it's just my opinion. So, I tie each of my segment
together with a blood-knot, and he apparently ties his leaders using
blood-knots as well.

I like that a blood-knot because it keeps the segments straight, the length
of the entire leader. On the stream, I have been known to tie on another
tippet using a double-surgeons knot, but that generally because I am tyin'
to a 5X a 6X tippet and it's just expedient to do so.

I've no call to question the man's business. If he can sell his leaders for
$2.00 a piece, then I consider the buyer to be gettin' a bargain, as most
manufactured leaders sell for a dollar to two dollars more than that.

Hell, if he tied 12 foot leaders, I might be convinced to buy some myself.

Op

Old December 30th, 2006, 04:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Opus wrote:

Yes, I'd say so. Unrealistically fast, IMO. I can tie-up a leader in about
10 or so minutes, I guess. I've never actually timed myself. I measure and
cut a number of tippet lengths that I figure on tyin', and then tie. I
don't doubt a person can tie them up faster than myself. I feel that the
blood knot is the strongest and straightest tie for leaders. I don't know
this to be a fact, it's just my opinion.

FYI, the surgeon's knot tests stronger than the blood knot.

Old December 30th, 2006, 04:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

"rw" wrote in message news
FYI, the surgeon's knot tests stronger than the blood knot.

Is there a significant difference between the two in stiffness in terms of
turning over the leader?

Joe F.

Old December 30th, 2006, 05:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus

"rw" wrote in message
nk.net...
Opus wrote:

Yes, I'd say so. Unrealistically fast, IMO. I can tie-up a leader in
about 10 or so minutes, I guess. I've never actually timed myself. I
measure and cut a number of tippet lengths that I figure on tyin', and
then tie. I don't doubt a person can tie them up faster than myself. I
feel that the blood knot is the strongest and straightest tie for
leaders. I don't know this to be a fact, it's just my opinion.

FYI, the surgeon's knot tests stronger than the blood knot.

You may be correct in your assessment of the surgeon's knot, and I should
have qualified my statement to read, "I feel that the blood knot is the
strongest and straightest tie for leaders, *and my particular fishing.*"

So, for my purposes the blood-knot is a straighter knot and the strength is
sufficient to catch the itty-bitty trout I fish for. I've seen the fish you
catch out West, and they are considerably larger than the trout I catch, so
strength isn't the significant characteristic I look for when stalkin' the
trout in NC mountain streams.

I have no doubt that you and the surgeon's knot will live happily ever after
together and I and my blood-knot will do likewise.

Op

Old December 30th, 2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

rb608 wrote:
"rw" wrote in message news

FYI, the surgeon's knot tests stronger than the blood knot.

Is there a significant difference between the two in stiffness in terms of
turning over the leader?

I don't know, but I doubt it.

Blood knots are fine for the heavier parts of the leader, and even
superior if only because they're smoother and straighter. You aren't
going to break those knots unless you tie an incredibly bad one.

The surgeon's knot is the clear choice for the leader/tippet connection,
IMO. It's stronger and easier to tie.

Old December 30th, 2006, 07:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
G. J. Z.

Hell, if he tied 12 foot leaders, I might be convinced to buy some myself.

He has had them I've gotten them from him,

I was also considering asking him if he would make some custom formulas from
Trout by Ernie Schwiebert. Some awesome stuff.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7lofi/flytyer/