every once in a

Old November 14th, 2003, 04:23 PM
slenon

Default every once in a

teary eyed wally (note: i blacked out the major's surname, afterall,
this is the internet)

Well done! Very well done!

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm

Old November 15th, 2003, 04:59 AM
Douglas Knight

Hey Waldo,

Ya did good, you're not such an "0" ******* after all. Good to see you are
still at it.

Now if I could just get a few little brown trucks loaded with C4 to send to
the guys over there, might make odds on the playing field a little more
even. Like a mule they only understand when they get that 2x4 between the
eyes and start seeing stars.

back to lurking

Hairy Trout

"Dear Walt and all the crew at EZFlyfish,

Old November 15th, 2003, 06:35 AM

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:03:48 GMT, ezflyfisher
wrote:

It touched my heart when I received your kind note and the free cap,
thanking me for my service.

Sweet.

Our marine captain (major? I lost track even while he still worked
with us) dropped in at the office after being over there and then
several other places. We'd sent cookies and baby wipes and other
stuff that he'd shared out among the guys. He said they were all glad
to get a touch of home. I think he liked the way we all ran over and
hugged him, too, except a couple of the more staid males. We'd had
enough news to know he was fine, but seeing him in person was a
certainty. It's chancy in a military action so any bit of support
helps.

I do not support the war. Let no one think that. I do support the
warriors. A whole different thing.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old November 15th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Frank Reid

Thank you for being there, Major ******, and come home soon and safely.
And
thank you for showing us that we can count on you when the time comes that
we truly need your skills and dedication.

--riverman

BWI is a major port of call for troops returning to the US for their 2 weeks
of leave. I saw two today at the Arundel Mills Mall, just south of there.
still in their desert uniform, they were trying to get something to eat at
Subway. I offered to pay for their food, but the Subway staff evidently had
already picked up the tab.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old November 15th, 2003, 07:06 PM
rw

Frank Reid wrote:

BWI is a major port of call for troops returning to the US for their 2 weeks
of leave. I saw two today at the Arundel Mills Mall, just south of there.
still in their desert uniform, they were trying to get something to eat at
Subway. I offered to pay for their food, but the Subway staff evidently had
already picked up the tab.

It's my understanding that military personnel are merely dropped off at
BWI and are expected to pick up the tab for any additional travel they
require to get home. It's a sweet deal for soldiers who live near
Baltimore, I guess, but it sucks for anyone else.

Old November 15th, 2003, 09:08 PM
slenon

RW:
It's my understanding that military personnel are merely dropped off at
BWI and are expected to pick up the tab for any additional travel they
require to get home. It's a sweet deal for soldiers who live near
Baltimore, I guess, but it sucks for anyone else.

That's my understanding, too. I don't know if there are any travel breaks
for these troops. I hope so. When I was in, most airlines had military
standby rates that allowed us to fly at discount if we had time to gamble on
flights not being completely booked. But even those rates were not offered
on weekends.

Of course, the entire concept of R&R ( or I&I ) has been changed markedly
from what it was during the Vietnam War. We had the choice of multiple
cities and no one got back to CONUS. I guess the troops aren't being
offered flights to the closest analogs of Bangkok, Taipei, and other Asian
delights.

Old November 16th, 2003, 01:27 AM

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 19:06:05 GMT, rw
wrote:

Frank Reid wrote:

BWI is a major port of call for troops returning to the US for their 2 weeks
of leave. I saw two today at the Arundel Mills Mall, just south of there.
still in their desert uniform, they were trying to get something to eat at
Subway. I offered to pay for their food, but the Subway staff evidently had
already picked up the tab.

It's my understanding that military personnel are merely dropped off at
BWI and are expected to pick up the tab for any additional travel they
require to get home. It's a sweet deal for soldiers who live near
Baltimore, I guess, but it sucks for anyone else.

There are some groups asking for money for their transport. I don't
recall which they are because I was po'd at them not getting it from
the government or the airlines for at least very reduced prices, that
I just ranted a bit and clicked it away.

Old November 17th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Francis Reid

Frank, do you have contact information of any kind for these
people ? I have a lot of frequent flyer miles saved up.

For those interested in helping these guys and gals out, go to
http://www.heromiles.org/
It lists airlines that are participating and how to donate your miles.

Frank Reid
Old November 17th, 2003, 04:44 PM
riverman

"Francis Reid" wrote in message
Frank, do you have contact information of any kind for these
people ? I have a lot of frequent flyer miles saved up.

For those interested in helping these guys and gals out, go to
http://www.heromiles.org/
It lists airlines that are participating and how to donate your miles.

Hmmm, I'm not certain I like this. It sounds too much like all those
donations to 9-11 victims that ended up in charity organization manager's
pockets, or all those millions of gum wrappers that HS kids in the 70s
collected to buy lukemia treatment for that unknown girl.

It is no skin off the airlines' nose to donate unfilled seats to soldiers,
which is essentially what they're doing by accepting FF miles for last
minute flights. These are stand-bys, and those seats would almost definately
go unfilled anyway. This looks like some sort of way the Airlines are trying
to deplete the FF mile pool by making Joe Citizen feel patriotic by giving
up something that the airlines could give away (or are giving away) for free
just as easily.

I say: the government ought to get off its butt and release the funding to
pay for the tickets (how many TRILLION dollars was that last budget....?),
and until then, instead of sending them your FF miles, use the email
addresses and send the airlines a letter telling them to GIVE THE SOLDIERS
SEATS.

--riverman

Old November 18th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Tim J.

"Greg Pavlov" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:44:08 +0100, "riverman"
wrote:

Hmmm, I'm not certain I like this. ....

I feel your cynicism, but take a look at the site.

It looks like the federal funds should be available any day. Does anyone know if
reimbursement for travelers previous to the funds availability is in the bill?
--
TL,
Tim