Fly Fishing History 1A

Old November 13th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Tim J.

Default Fly Fishing History 1A

"slenon" wrote in message
If I had friends like Bill has....and George had....I'd hope that one of
them would have the decency to shoot me.....but I'd hope in vain.
Wolfgang

Simply make out and sign the appropriate documents stating end of life
decisions and appoint your primary and secondary health care surrogates.
I would imagine that you should have no trouble finding the necessary people
to carry out your self-destructive desires.

PICK ME! PICK ME!

On further reflection, the travel costs would be prohibitive.
--
TL,
Tim

Old November 13th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Ernie

Talk about a Tempest in a Teapot. In the first place the problem with the
points breaking off of Mustad hooks wasn't that bad. I did two things to
resolve it. First I bent the barbs down before I tied the fly. Second I
just bent the tip of the barb instead of trying to smash the whole barb
down. I see no reason to change manufacturers or get my shorts all in a
bunch over it. If it's not broke don't fix it.
Ernie

"Bill Kiene"
Hi Willi,
I can't believe that most all the people that come into my fly shop can

feel
so different about hooks than the majority of the guys here on ROFF?
Bill Kiene

Old November 13th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Wolfgang

"slenon" wrote in message
If I had friends like Bill has....and George had....I'd hope that

one of
them would have the decency to shoot me.....but I'd hope in vain.
Wolfgang

Simply make out and sign the appropriate documents stating end of

life
decisions and appoint your primary and secondary health care

surrogates.
I would imagine that you should have no trouble finding the

necessary people
to carry out your self-destructive desires. Local regulations will

apply
and you may need to specify some methodology other than firearms.

Wouldn't
want your surrogates to be arrested for discharging a firearm in

public.

The origins of stupid notions that people hold dear is one of the more
fascinating aspects of a study of human character. We are indeed
fortunate to have the mother lode at our disposal here in ROFF. If
you have a clue and don't mind sharing, I'd like to know where you got
the bizarre idea that I've got "self-destructive desires".

Wolfgang

Old November 13th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Ernie

"Bill Kiene" wrote
Also, abuse is the only attention I get. In some small ways I think I am
trying to keep the memory of old George alive here.
Bill Kiene

Bill,
There is no need for any effort to keep George alive. He did that all by
himself.
Ernie

Old November 13th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Wolfgang

"Tim J." wrote in message

"slenon" wrote in message
If I had friends like Bill has....and George had....I'd hope that

one of
them would have the decency to shoot me.....but I'd hope in vain.
Wolfgang

Simply make out and sign the appropriate documents stating end of

life
decisions and appoint your primary and secondary health care

surrogates.
I would imagine that you should have no trouble finding the

necessary people
to carry out your self-destructive desires.

PICK ME! PICK ME!

On further reflection, the travel costs would be prohibitive.

Oh heck, it ain't all that expensive and, as Mr. Miller will testify,
we've got a few pretty good cricks in the neighborhood.

Um......come to think of it, you might want to enlist Jeffie as a
ghillie, as I have a nagging suspicion I may be indisposed.

Wolfgang
on the other hand, i would be a GOOD guide!

Old November 13th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Willi

Wayne Harrison wrote:

Maybe when you realize that you don't/didn't know either of the men.

Willi

my bet is that i knew george as well as most on this board. i spoke
with him for hours on the phone, and the conversations covered a very broad
range of subjects, both personal and legal.

Wow! "hours" on the phone! Bet you sure got to know the man well.

all i know of kiene is what i have seen on roff, and i must admit that
kind of "knowing" ain't much.

Guess that's my point.

I think it's reasonable to judge a person's behavior on ROFF, but
another to extrapolate that behavior into any kind of accurate judgment
of their character in "real" life.

Willi

Old November 13th, 2003, 04:08 PM
JR

Ernie wrote:

"Bill Kiene" wrote

Also, abuse is the only attention I get. In some small ways I think I am
trying to keep the memory of old George alive here.

There is no need for any effort to keep George alive. He did that all by
himself.

When I went on home leave earlier this month, I was snowed in a lot, so
I spent a good deal of time rummaging through my gear, and I came across
a couple of boxes of ROFF swap flies. Included in these were the flies
from a small one-fly (PT) swap we did a while ago. Everybody in the
swap tied a single PT for each of the other guys. Except, of course,
George. He tied TWO flies, and NEITHER of them was a PT! They are
really nicely tied flies, though, and I'm glad to have them, especially
as illustrations of just what made George George. Child was cookin' on
his very own planet.

JR
Old November 13th, 2003, 04:13 PM
riverman

"JR" wrote in message
Ernie wrote:

[...]

I seem to remember some discussion about that on ROFF, where the flies were
described as 'looking like something that was laying around gathering dust,
and not freshly tied for the swap'.... Was that the one?

He certainly was doing his own thing. I wondered if some of that was an
artifact of his age and years of not working for anyone else. Nothing will
teach you how to get along with folks better than having to toe someone
else's line, or go hungry.

--riverman

Old November 13th, 2003, 04:16 PM
slenon

The origins of stupid notions that people hold dear is one of the more
fascinating aspects of a study of human character. We are indeed
fortunate to have the mother lode at our disposal here in ROFF. If
you have a clue and don't mind sharing, I'd like to know where you got
the bizarre idea that I've got "self-destructive desires".
Wolfgang

See previous post in this thread expressing desire to have friends shoot
you.
Then, quit sniffing those tissue fixatives. They've damaged your sense of
humor.

Now that we've formalinized this bit of bombast, feel free return to your
normally scheduled, paid activities.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69

Walk my slack? I don't think so.

Old November 13th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Scott Seidman

Willi wrote in news:3fb3ab3a$0$193$75868355
@news.frii.net:

I think it's reasonable to judge a person's behavior on ROFF, but
another to extrapolate that behavior into any kind of accurate judgment
of their character in "real" life.

Willi

Willi--

I hear this a lot, and I just don't buy it. A man is responsible for his
appearance, demeanor, and behavior in whatever medium he chooses for his
discourse. Abraham Lincoln pointed out that first opinions are a valid way
to judge character, because a man is responsible for how he comes across
from the moment you meet him. Often, you can judge a book by its cover.

Scott