Southern San Francisco Bay

Old February 25th, 2010, 08:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

Default Southern San Francisco Bay

On Feb 24, 2:26*pm, Larry L wrote:
On Feb 24, 11:57*am, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:

Sand eels for the perch or do you use a shrimp/sand crab pattern?
Frank

the latter is what I've heard about ... never tried it myself ... my
memory is that the patterns I was shown reminded me of shad flies ...
all disclaimers about my "memory" apply

FWIW, I, too, have heard stories of guys being grabbed by waves and
carried out to sea * .... careful out there, bud

Monterey Aquarium is a good visit in a nice town with other
possibilities .... not WAY far from San Jose ( although I once lived
in SJ, I haven't been there in years ... any mile may be a long one
now, with traffic and all )

http://www.zenflyfishing.com/beaches.html

knowing your affection for "zen tactics" *this caught my eye ....
can't honestly say I read most of it, it tries to load a trillion
pictures *G

I used to live in Monterey and still have the opening day key chain as
my key fob. Its a great idea. Thanks.
Frank
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

On Feb 24, 1:59*pm, rw wrote:
Bill McKee wrote:
"Frank Reid © 2008" wrote in message
On Feb 23, 7:40 pm, Larry L wrote:

On Feb 23, 5:06 pm, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:

Will be going to San Jose in a couple of weeks. Plane gets in at
about 9 a.m. and I don't have anything till the next morning. I was
thinking either fishing somewhere in the Southern bay or heading over
to the coast. Any ideas on spots or other suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Frank Reid

No

I'll ask around for you, let you know if I hear of anything

Thanks Larry
Frank

Most of the Ocean in closed except for perch. *And they actually may be a
candidate for fly fishing. *

Every year people get swept out to sea to their deaths by freak waves on
that coast. Given Frank's history, he should keep that in mind.

If you're looking for something interesting to do, Frank, think about
going to Ano Nuevo to check out the elephant seals. (You should make a
reservation.)

I'm actually very comfortable with the beach. Surfed, knee board...
Been there, done that. Saw a wave come out of nowhere and overwhelm
the beach. Luckily, it was a crap day so just a few people where
there at the time, though the surfers there did a lot of rescues.
I'm a strong swimmer (go figure) and know how to get out of a rip
tide. Thinking more on the lines of heading to the ocean vs doing the
south bay. Will see how it goes.
Frank Reid

Old February 26th, 2010, 03:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill McKee

On Feb 24, 2:26 pm, Larry L wrote:
[...]

Reply:
Sand Crabs or the spin guys use a small 1.5-2" Motor Oil color plastic grub.

Old February 26th, 2010, 01:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

On Feb 25, 9:39*pm, "Bill McKee" wrote:
"Frank Reid 2008" wrote in ...
On Feb 24, 2:26 pm, Larry L wrote:

[...]

Sand Crabs or the spin guys use a small 1.5-2" Motor Oil color plastic grub.- Hide quoted text -

Will have to devise a pattern for sand crabs. Used to catch bucket
loads when I was a kid. Essentially, a size 4 tan scud on a mustad
37160 hook.
Frank Reid
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On Feb 24, 2:26 pm, Larry L wrote:

[...]

if you can devise a decent sand crab imitation, they are the food of
choice for many of the fish cruising the breakers and sandbars...at
least here in nc. the big drum love them, as do the sea mullet and
weakfish (gray trout) and speckled trout.

jeff
Old February 26th, 2010, 04:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

On Feb 24, 2:26 pm, Larry L wrote:

[...]

jeff- Hide quoted text -

Will tie some this weekend and post pics and patterns.
Frank Reid

Old February 26th, 2010, 06:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark Bowen

On Feb 24, 2:26 pm, Larry L wrote:

[...]

Frank,
A word of caution is due! Be careful, if you use one of you famous "Fighting
Crawfish," as Killer whales are know to like gigantic clawed lobsters and
might mistake your "Fighting Crawfish" for a gigantic clawed lobster. We now
know that killer whales are very vicious and dangerous creatures that will
yank you from your pool side (beach side in this case) repose into the murky
depths to thrash you about, until drowned--who'd a thunk such timid looking
critters would be so devious? I bet if they had been name "Friendly,"
instead of "Killer" whales, their dispositions would be much more mellow!
Live and learn, I guess.

Anyway, be safe and keep your ponytail away from the crashing waves. Oh
yeah, don't frolic with baby seal pups in the shallows, Killer whales seem
to just appear out of no where and gobble them up!

HTH
Op

Old February 26th, 2010, 07:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 26, 12:49*pm, "Mark Bowen" wrote:

On Feb 24, 2:26 pm, Larry L wrote:

[...]

FREE WILLY!

g.
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On Feb 24, 2:26 pm, Larry L wrote:
[...]

god help him if one of those whales grabs his willy!!!

j.
Old February 27th, 2010, 12:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

jeff wrote:

god help him if one of those whales grabs his willy!!!

There are no Orcas on that coast. Plenty of Great White Sharks, though.