Barack Obama picks a fight .......

Old January 26th, 2009, 11:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Default Barack Obama picks a fight .......

Tom Littleton wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
As for "hillbilly" being an offensive slur, it's not. Not to me
anyway.

Thanks for making a salient point.

Glad to be of help.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old January 27th, 2009, 12:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:54:09 -0800 (PST), rb608 wrote:

On Jan 26, 5:18*pm, "Tom Littleton" wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
Well there's the issue, I don't consider "hillbilly" to be an
offensive racial slur nor would I consider someone uttering it
to be using racist language.

and there, Ken, is the problem. Folks in Appalachia consider the term
derogatory(I know this for a fact), at least some of them. All you seem to
REALLY care about is what offends Ken. And that is truly pathetic.

I'm sorry to keep piggy backing on your posts, because i don't mean to
necessarily direct this to you personally; but since you brought it
up...

I certainly agree (and I'm willing to bet Ken does too) that
"hillbilly" can be and often is intended or received as an insult. In
either case, I've never seen the insult intended as racial.

Er, just to clarify - what do the large number of Asian and Black folks of your
aquaint that you'd consider "hillbillies," oh, say, for example, eat or
drive...? Hmmm, wait...you're a self-proclaimed "city slicker" who insults
"hillbillies'" intelligence and sophistication (and thinks nothing wrong of it,
apparently - certainly no righteous indignation over it), so you probably don't
know any well enough to know their daily habits. So, to be fair - just name 3
Black and 3 Asian folks you'd label as "hillbillies" that you've encountered
recently. Still too hard? OK, state when and where you've seen 3 Black folks
and 3 Asian folks that you (and the intelligent, sophisticated city slickers
with whom you run) would label as "hillbillies..."

We city
slickers coined the phrase as an insult to the intelligence or
sophistication of our rural brethren, not because of their race. You
are not wrong to point out its insulting nature, but Ken is also
correct in not considering it a racial slur,

See above.

IMHO of course.

Joe F.

HTH,
Old January 27th, 2009, 12:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
I don't consider "hillbilly" to be an offensive racial slur, if
you do you should speak up. I'll ignore you, of course, and think
you're silly but that's what happens sometimes when you speak up.

you're missing(or simply avoiding) my point. While you find racial slurs
offensive(most of us would agree), you seem to have no problem with slurs in
general, which I find a wee bit hypocritical.
Tom

Old January 27th, 2009, 12:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

wrote in message
I think you're slightly off-base. I don't think it's "hate" and I don't
think
it's just "angry white guys."

sorry to disagree, but if the Republican party limits themselves to the base
that Rush or Hannity or their ilk carve out, and alienate the rest, the GOP
will (IMO) be the party of angry, fear-filled white guys. And that coalition
won't win very many elections. That was the gist of my post. And, for what
it's worth, I think I agree with Ken that they should go ahead and follow
that path, because after the party sold out(nearly completely) to the loony
right for over a decade, they deserve the fate of running Palin in 2012, and
dying a quiet death.
Tom

Old January 27th, 2009, 01:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 00:21:28 GMT, "Tom Littleton" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I think you're slightly off-base. I don't think it's "hate" and I don't
think
it's just "angry white guys."

sorry to disagree, but if the Republican party limits themselves to the base
that Rush or Hannity or their ilk carve out, and alienate the rest, the GOP
will (IMO) be the party of angry, fear-filled white guys.

Ah - _IF_ that were to happen, agreed. But you didn't qualify it that way in
the translation of "beancounter's" trollgibberish, and really, Limpdick's
listeners aren't _all_ angry white, um, hillbillies (or even, jokes aside,
"angry white guys").

And that coalition won't win very many elections.

Um - two words - "_ZELL_!! ****in' growl _MILLER_!!"

That was the gist of my post. And, for what
it's worth, I think I agree with Ken that they should go ahead and follow
that path, because after the party sold out(nearly completely) to the loony
right for over a decade, they deserve the fate of running Palin in 2012, and
dying a quiet death.

FWIW, guys like Bobby Jindal are gonna make it VERY hard on Dems. And FWIW,
too, consider the past - Bush was Palin with penis and an Ivy League education -
yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, but I still think that history will be much kinder to
Bush than currently suspected by the, er, usual suspects...think Ford in 1976
vs. 2006 (so, OK, perhaps there's not enough meat on the bone to get there,
but...).

TC,
Tom

Old January 27th, 2009, 01:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Tom Littleton wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
I don't consider "hillbilly" to be an offensive racial slur, if
you do you should speak up. I'll ignore you, of course, and think
you're silly but that's what happens sometimes when you speak up.

you're missing(or simply avoiding) my point. While you find racial slurs
offensive(most of us would agree), you seem to have no problem with slurs in
general, which I find a wee bit hypocritical.

I have no problem with oxycontin being called "hillbilly heroin"
and I don't think white people in the US are as vulnerable to real
hurt from racial slurs as people of color.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old January 27th, 2009, 01:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jan 27, 1:15*am, "Tom Littleton" wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message

I don't consider "hillbilly" to be an offensive racial slur, if
you do you should speak up. I'll ignore you, of course, and think
you're silly but that's what happens sometimes when you speak up.

you're missing(or simply avoiding) my point. While you find racial slurs
offensive(most of us would agree), you seem to have no problem with slurs in
general, which I find a wee bit hypocritical.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Tom

Heh heh.............priceless!
Old January 27th, 2009, 02:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Tom Littleton wrote:

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:

I don't consider "hillbilly" to be an offensive racial slur, if
you do you should speak up. I'll ignore you, of course, and think
you're silly but that's what happens sometimes when you speak up.

you're missing(or simply avoiding) my point. While you find racial
slurs offensive(most of us would agree), you seem to have no problem
with slurs in general, which I find a wee bit hypocritical.

I have no problem with oxycontin being called "hillbilly heroin"
and I don't think white people in the US are as vulnerable to real
hurt from racial slurs as people of color.

The way I see it, if you're white you can say hillbilly or redneck or
cracker or white trash or even whigger with impunity, just like if
you're black (e.g. Chris Rock) you can say the n word or any number of
other racial slurs, such as those that rdean so enjoys using.

I don't particularly like this state of affairs, but that's the way it
is, at least in public speech. Speech between close friends of different
races is another thing altogether.

Old January 27th, 2009, 03:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

wrote:
rb608 wrote:
[...]

I'll agree that "hillbilly" is an insult, and further I'll grant
Rick's point that "hillbilly" refers to white people.

It appears that Rick is an ardent and vocal defender of the white
race against all attacks, especially those attacks from guilty white
liberals.

This being America and all I never thought the white race needed so
damn much defending.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 21:04:38 -0600, Ken Fortenberry

rb608 wrote:
[...]

Well, it would seem that's the end of it, insofar as to whether it is "racial"
and insofar as you are concerned. I'm not trying to bust your balls, but I'm
trying to get you to reali...no, not realize, because I think you do realize -
but understand (and hopefully, accept) that "words are racism" is a useless,
nonsensical concept in all but extreme cases. That said, young kids, white or
black, running around calling each other "nigga" (or white kids reveling in
being 'rednecks') is not sociality-acceptable, but it's not ****ed-up because of
the potential racism of the terms, it's because of the whole ****ed-up lifestyle
generally associated with those of any color who "keep it real." If these
little punks want to "keep it real," then keep it really real...sorta like what
mature people do...

It appears that Rick is an ardent and vocal defender of the white
race

"Defender?" Not so much, because I feel no need to "defend" a race..OTOH, I'll
defend this or that race against unfair nonsense....I mean, aren't they people,
too...?

against all attacks, especially those attacks from guilty white
liberals.

See above, but either your view or that which you wish to assert as your point
is skewed. I'll, as an exercise, defend the underdog, but at the end of the
day, no race or people is entirely powerless - oh, sure, one day you may be bug
and the next, you're the windscreen/shield - but at the end of the day and
generally speaking, folks are responsible for themselves, and they really don't
need your lily-white guilty liberal ass and your golf bag to show other folks
that they are just as good as you are...

This being America and all I never thought the white race needed so
damn much defending.

Re-read that and come on back and tell me there's no racism in it...yeah, yeah,
yeah, I know - the check's in the mail....

HTH,