Shrimping from a 19' boat?

Old April 19th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Steve

Default Shrimping from a 19' boat?

Any good sites that I can learn how to catch shrimp using a drag net
and my 19' center console? I'm planning on going to Calcaseau
Thanks
Old April 19th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Sarge

Steve,

The best advice should be gathered from other locals that pull a trawl with
any boat except for the big shrimp boats. I had a 18 foot flat boat with a
center console at one time and I pulled a trawl with it. I had my trawl
ropes rigged to the pipes that extended up three foot on each side of my
boat in the mid section. My pipes were placed just even with the back of my
console.

I had a three foot fan tail on the back of my boat to store my boards and
net while traveling. My picking box was in the front of the boat with a
chute for dumping by catch from either side of the boat. In the middle of
the picking box, I had another chute to push the shrimp directly into ice
chest.

I also could pull wing nets by changing out my poles on the side of the
boat. Wing nets was a clean catch with less by catch.

If you go by a local shop that sells trawls and rigging gear, they can give
you some advice. Don't attempted to get it from a place like West Marine or
other chain stores. The stores I am talking about are ones that cater to
selling nets and other gear for commercial fishing. They will also sell
gear for recreational but they have the know how on how to properly setup a
rig.

Sarge

Old April 20th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Henry Blackmoore

In article , (Steve) wrote:

Any good sites that I can learn how to catch shrimp using a drag net
and my 19' center console? I'm planning on going to Calcaseau
Thanks

Do you have a commercial fishing license?

Old April 21st, 2004, 03:31 AM
Sarge

Do you have a commercial fishing license?

No, I had a recreational license because my trawl was 16 feet. At present
you are limited to 100 lbs. of shrimp caught under the recreational
licenses. There is a bill present that wants to lower that to 50 lbs.

Sarge