newbe questions

Old February 14th, 2007, 01:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

Default newbe questions

On Feb 14, 11:26 am, "asadi" wrote:
You want the type of fisining shop (it need not be exclusively a fly shop)
that has a coffee pot and a buliten board...

Amen. Without such a place to get great, first-hand advice and steep
myself in the intangibles of the sport, I doubt all of the technical
and practical advice would have been enough to instill in me the level
of interest that takes flyfishing beyond a mere leisure activity to a
pleasure and passion.

I was lucky enough to have stumbled into a small place with a
wonderfully friendly and helpful proprietor, a cigar-smoking old-
timer, a rod builder, and a great variety of assorted customers in
various combinations depending on the day. The coffee was fresh, the
advice was good, and the camraderie was priceless. Find one. Go
there. Meet real people. Tell lies. Pretend to believe theirs.
There's nothing like it. :-)

(And one more "thanks" to Joe, Harold, & Hank at the now departed
"Fisherman's Edge".)

Joe F.

Old February 14th, 2007, 02:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

rb608 wrote:
"asadi" wrote:
[...]

That's good advice, but someone in southern Illinois has to travel
quite a ways to find a shop like that. John's list of Illinois
fly shops included only two in southern Illinois, one in Marion
and one in Carbondale and neither has much to do with fly fishing.
I recommend a trip to St. Louis, Feather Craft and T. Hargrove are
both good shops, but a lot of folks, me included, caught the
fly fishing virus just fine without any help from Ye Olde Fly Shoppe.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid

(And one more "thanks" to Joe, Harold, & Hank at the now departed
"Fisherman's Edge".)

And now we shall bow our heads and sing "Gather at the River." Really
miss that place. Then again, the coffee was pretty strong at the end
of the day. Use it to clean the cement out front.
Frank Reid

Old February 14th, 2007, 03:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

Old February 14th, 2007, 03:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

On Feb 14, 9:57 am, "Frank Reid" wrote:
And now we shall bow our heads and sing "Gather at the River." Really
miss that place. Then again, the coffee was pretty strong at the end
of the day. Use it to clean the cement out front.

I believe they used it to set perms at the hair salon next door. :-)

Joe F.

p.s. I hate this google posting ****. Sorry about the two empties.

Old February 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

On Feb 14, 9:02 am, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
That's good advice, but someone in southern Illinois has to travel
quite a ways to find a shop like that.

The Edge was about an hour from my house, too far for a casual visit,
but I was lucky in that it was only 20 min. from my office. I could
run over there & back in a lunch hour, though that hour often became
two once the stories & jokes got started.

a lot of folks, me included, caught the
fly fishing virus just fine without any help from Ye Olde Fly Shoppe.

And we're glad you did. g Yeah, YOFS is great if you have one, but
not essential. There are still a few very good shops in the area; but
nothing like the atmosphere of my favorite YOFS.

Joe F.

Old February 14th, 2007, 04:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters 1729 N. Clybourn Chicago IL
312.944.3474
Coren's Rod & Reel Service 6001 N. Nina Avenue Chicago IL 773.631.5202
Dan's Tackle Service 2237 W. McLean Ave. Chicago IL 773.276.5562
Dunn's Sporting Goods 1904 Rendleman Marion IL 618.997.3626
Ed Shirley & Sons 5404 La Grange Rd. Countryside IL 708.352.5712
Ed Shirley & Sons Sports 5802 W. Dempster Morton Grove IL 708.966.5900
Fly & Field Inc. 560 Crescent Blvd Glen Ellyn IL 708.858.7844
Fly Fishers Outfit 300 W. Allen Springfield IL 217.544.7218
GR Young Outfitters 221 W. Waukegan Rd. Lake Bluff IL 847.615.5400
Northlander 209 E. Lincoln Way De Kalb IL 800.555.1212
On The Fly 3628 Sage Dr. Rockford IL 815.877.0090
One More Cast 1416 W. 55th Countryside IL 708.482.4990
Orvis Chicago 142 E. Ontario Chicago IL 312.440.0622
Orvis Deerfield 775 Waukegan Rd. Deerfield IL 847.945.3500
Riverside Sports 26 N. Bennet St. Geneva IL 630.232.7047
Roaring Fork Outfitters 2577 Waukegan Rd. Bannockburn IL 847.940.8580
The Wildlife Refuge 1130 E. Main Carbondale IL 618.529.2524
Trout & Grouse Inc. 300 Happ Rd. Northfield IL 847.501.3111

You want the type of fisining shop (it need not be exclusively a fly shop)
that has a coffee pot and a buliten board...you might find a local club that
has classes for beginners or that sponsors outings locally...

Don't forget your local library ofr books and videos....

don't forget to search google...

john

"Mike" wrote in message
. net...
I plan on learing to fly fish this spring and I don't know anyone in this
area that does fly fishes. I ordered some videos and have been buying
magazines. I picked up a 7ft. 4w fly rod at Walmart and plan on learning
fishing for bluegills and I don't know anywhere close that even stock
trout. I (I'm in southern ILL) What kind of flies etc would you recomend???
From what I've read WF line would be easier to learn to cast. Any tips &
suggestions would be greatly appreceated.
Thanks, Mike

--

JESUS IS LORD!

Old February 14th, 2007, 05:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

Ethan wrote:

Mr Dean has some good points, .....

Well, *there's* somethin' you don't see every day on roff.

Old February 14th, 2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"JR" wrote in message
Ethan wrote:

Mr Dean has some good points, .....

Well, *there's* somethin' you don't see every day on roff.

yeah, wassup with calling him Mr.?
Tom

Old February 14th, 2007, 08:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
egildone

Tom Littleton wrote:
"JR" wrote in message
Ethan wrote:

Mr Dean has some good points, .....

Well, *there's* somethin' you don't see every day on roff.

yeah, wassup with calling him Mr.?
Tom

He must have gotten back on his meds....

Ed