Oklahoma fly fishing...

Old February 20th, 2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
egildone

Default Oklahoma fly fishing...

Looks like Oklahoma Wildlife Department is developing a first rate Trout
fishery in Oklahoma.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/streamrest.htm

What do you think?

let the fulmination begin!

Ed
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

egildone wrote:

Looks like Oklahoma Wildlife Department is developing a first rate Trout
fishery in Oklahoma.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/streamrest.htm

What do you think?

I think it looks great. But with the first serious floods or
droughts, I expect it will be back to square one.

They've been trying for years to establish a year-round trout
fishery not far from here on the Guadalupe River below Canyon Dam. It's
a drawdown dam and so the water is normally cold-enough to support trout
in a stretch of river directly below the dam. This area originally was
stocked as part of the normal put-and-take trout fishing program, and
then folks started catching a few fish that seemed to be
"over-summering".

The local branch of TU negotiated with the river authority to
maintain a summertime release of at least 150 CFS to help the trout
survive the hot weather. They also stocked adult browns and rainbows
in that area.

Everything looked good until the most recent "100 year flood", when
the water came *over* the dam and turned the lake over, causing the
temps to rise too high and kill a majority of the fish (plus they figure
the flooding had an effect on fish mortality by itself). It also cut
new channels in the river and basically flushed the bottom (not a bad
thing, but imagine what an event like that would do to the artificial
environment in the OK river).

Of course, since then we've had two years of severe drought, so the
river flow has been curtailed, and folks who have a stake in this are
just hoping and praying that the holdover fish are hunkered down in a
deep hole somewhere and have survived.

And of course there was the recent instance where some of the trout
fisher guys were trying to get a tournament together to catch striped
bass below the dam because the nasty old things were eating their
precious trout.

So I've seen what can happen when they try to establish a coldwater
fishery where none existed before, and I'm not very optimistic.

Chuck Vance (well, he asked, didn't he?)
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
egildone

Conan The Librarian wrote:
egildone wrote:

[...]

Chuck,

In 2005, Jason Archie caught a 17 lb. 33 in. state record Brown Trout in
that river that they believe was from the first stocking in 1989. Of
course, we haven't had a 100 year flood since then either.

We also have another river where we have year around trout fishing, the
lower Illinois. Some fishermen catch the trout and use them for bait to
catch 30 in. plus Stripers that come up from the Arkansas river.

Ed
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

egildone wrote:

In 2005, Jason Archie caught a 17 lb. 33 in. state record Brown Trout in
that river that they believe was from the first stocking in 1989. Of
course, we haven't had a 100 year flood since then either.

It may be different there, but we've had at least a couple of "100
year floods" in the last 10 years. :-}

We also have another river where we have year around trout fishing, the
lower Illinois. Some fishermen catch the trout and use them for bait to
catch 30 in. plus Stripers that come up from the Arkansas river.

One of our part-time ROFFians refers to the stocked trout in a lake
near where he lives as "striper candy".

Chuck Vance (where is Big Dale, anyway?)
Old February 24th, 2007, 03:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:04:10 -0600, egildone
wrote:

Looks like Oklahoma Wildlife Department is developing a first rate Trout
fishery in Oklahoma.

Yeah, maybe next, they'll start a marlin fishery in Optima...little
bitty marlin that can swim in a few inches of water...

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/streamrest.htm

What do you think?

I think if God/Mother Nature had thought a "first-class trout fishery"
in Oklahoma was a good idea, he/she would have placed one there...and I
also think that every time man attempts to put fish where they don't
belong, especially for his own amusement, it winds up as ****ed up as
Hogan's goat.

Hey, you asked,

Old February 24th, 2007, 03:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:44:49 -0600, Conan The Librarian
wrote:

egildone wrote:

Looks like Oklahoma Wildlife Department is developing a first rate Trout
fishery in Oklahoma.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/streamrest.htm

What do you think?

I think it looks great. But with the first serious floods or
droughts, I expect it will be back to square one.

They've been trying for years to establish a year-round trout
fishery not far from here on the Guadalupe River below Canyon Dam. It's
a drawdown dam and so the water is normally cold-enough to support trout
in a stretch of river directly below the dam. This area originally was
stocked as part of the normal put-and-take trout fishing program, and
then folks started catching a few fish that seemed to be
"over-summering".

The local branch of TU

If it isn't now, it was once the largest TU chapter - a big bunch of
yuppie dip****s - who thought trout in the Guadalupe was a great idea.

[...]

Yeah, he did...it's a bad idea in Texas, and it's a bad idea in
Oklahoma. There's plenty of great native fishing, as well as stocking
of appropriate species, and yet, a relative few yuppie idiots who by-God
think that they know what's best have done what yuppies generally do:
put their own selfish interests ahead of what's right.

TC,
....and if you weren't aware, they've tried stocking up by PK, too - same
mess, different river and dam...
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
egildone

wrote:

egildone wrote:

[...]

It seems to have worked out OK at Lake Taneycomo near Branson, Mo..
That one was developed in 1958 before yuppies existed. Was it a bad idea
there also?

Take a look.

http://www.branson.com/lake-taneycomo.html

Old February 25th, 2007, 04:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

egildone wrote:
snip
It seems to have worked out OK at Lake Taneycomo near Branson, Mo.. That
one was developed in 1958 before yuppies existed. Was it a bad idea
there also?

Nothing there "worked out OK". That whole phoney-baloney, so-called
"trout" fishery below the Table Rock Dam is a friggin' travesty and
a goddamned shame. Have you ever been there ? It's a joke. That dam
ruined one of the best smallmouth streams in the world to create
electricity for air conditioners in Oklahoma City. There ain't one
damn thing about that stream that's "worked out OK". I've fished
there, ran from the sirens and dodged the jon boats. It's a zoo,
not a trout fishery.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:36:40 -0600, egildone
wrote:

It seems to have worked out OK at Lake Taneycomo near Branson, Mo..

No, it hasn't.

That one was developed in 1958.....before yuppies existed.

Yes, it was...no, it wasn't.

Was it a bad idea there also?

"Trout fishing in Missouri adds up in dollars and cents."

Wanna guess where that quote came from?

Take a look.

http://www.branson.com/lake-taneycomo link edited

Are you naive, stupid, or just a whore?

Fish belong where they belong,
Old February 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
egildone

wrote:

It seems to have worked out OK at Lake Taneycomo near Branson, Mo..

No, it hasn't.

That one was developed in 1958.....before yuppies existed.

Yes, it was...no, it wasn't.

I was there. There were hippies in 58, but no yuppies.

Was it a bad idea there also?

"Trout fishing in Missouri adds up in dollars and cents."

Wanna guess where that quote came from?

Take a look.

http://www.branson.com/lake-taneycomo link edited

Are you naive, stupid, or just a whore?

Fish belong where they belong,

Oppps! We had better take the stripers out of Lake Texoma and the
Walleye out of the Lakes in OK. They don't belong there. We can keep
the Sauger, though, they are native to OK. Oh no! they are only native
to the Arkansas river. We need to take them out of OK lakes.

Ed