Beginner casting question..

Old May 4th, 2007, 03:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Default Beginner casting question..

Wayne Knight wrote:
wrote:
living in the Cleveland ,Ohio area.

There's a librarian at CWU named Bill you need to look up. Let him cast your
rod once and a while and he's happy.

*SPLORK VANG MU* !!

--
Ken Fortenberry - wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot pole ;-)
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

BGhouse wrote:
"Opus--Mark H. Bowen" sed:

"BGhouse" wrote in message

sed:

On May 2, 2:41 pm, rw wrote:

wrote:

I'm new to fly fishing and have been practicing my overhead
casting out on the lawn. After about 15-20 minutes my forearm is
really sore.

It's difficult to tell without watching you cast, but you may be
using your arm too much instead of loading the rod. They used to
teach beginners to cast while holding a bible (King James Version)
between their elbow and body. That's not the modern style, but it
does force you to load the rod so you might try it. I recommend
using Sam Harris' End of Faith or Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion
instead of a bible. :-)

I'm with you on the Dawkins book...indubitably

I'm gonna try a printout Wolfgang's posting of "THE SPECKLED BROOK
TROUT"

Don't do it! It'll be the most boring read that you never actually
read. I know, rw told me so.

Who said anything about reading it?

Don't, unless you're trying to go to sleep.

It would be fine to kindle a fire, though.

Old May 4th, 2007, 06:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

"BGhouse" Yer playin' air-guitar with your pole whilst duck-walking across
the
stream?

--
BG

I sit typless...

john

Old May 4th, 2007, 12:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BGhouse

rw sed:

BGhouse wrote:
"Opus--Mark H. Bowen" sed:

"BGhouse" wrote in message

sed:

On May 2, 2:41 pm, rw wrote:

wrote:

[...]

or to hold between one's elbow and body whilst learning to cast ...

--
BG
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I'm new to fly fishing and have been practicing my overhead casting
out on the lawn. After about 15-20 minutes my forearm is really sore.
Is this a sign of someone trying to hard? ha! I've studied casting
videos and it looks so effortless, I'm assuming that's how if feels. I
think It might be my back cast I get to concerned with getting the
line flying behind me fast enough and stopping hard . I'm casting a
9ft 5/6wt. I guess what I'm saying is that I lack the "grace" that is
apparent in good casters. But my arms is killing me trying to acheive
it! Just looking for some tips and advice. Any appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian
http://riffleskiffles.blogspot.com

This may offer some help also:

http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/howhurt.shtml

JT

Old May 4th, 2007, 10:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Geo

egildone wrote:
wrote:
Hello,
I'm new to fly fishing and have been practicing my overhead casting
out on the lawn. After about 15-20 minutes my forearm is really sore.
Is this a sign of someone trying to hard? ha! I've studied casting
videos and it looks so effortless, I'm assuming that's how if feels. I
think It might be my back cast I get to concerned with getting the
line flying behind me fast enough and stopping hard . I'm casting a
9ft 5/6wt. I guess what I'm saying is that I lack the "grace" that is
apparent in good casters. But my arms is killing me trying to acheive
it! Just looking for some tips and advice. Any appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian
http://riffleskiffles.blogspot.com

Brian,

Just don't watch those on the cable program "Fly Fishing America" Those
guys break every rule that I was taught about casting.

Ed

Try this. A video camera don't lie. Use one to see for yourself what
you need to do. Set it up so you can see your arm and wrist movement,
Then set it up to see your timing. I offer this advise to all, new or
veterans to improve their own style. Geo.
Old May 6th, 2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
W. D. Grey

In article , Tom Nakashima
writes

Thanks I will give it a try. It might be from years of spin fishing
and heaving stuff out there...and not paying attention to my arc.
I'm with you on the Dawkins book...indubitably

"asadi"
Well, ideally there would be no arc. john

Actually there is a casting rod arc.
One of the things that was brought when casting, is learning to match
the casting arc to the amount of line you are carrying to the amount of
force you are applying.
You can read about it here #2 and view the mpg in the tailing loops section:
http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/tailingloops.shtml
-tom

There is far too much written about casting - get out there and /feel/
what the line is doing in the air. Too many people cast badly with
lousy technique because they really don't know what the principle of fly
casting really implies. They have to be as one with their rod and line
when casting, and not wonder what chapter three or four in their casting
instructions said.
--
Bill Grey

Old May 7th, 2007, 01:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"W. D. Grey" wrote in message

There is far too much written about casting - get out there and /feel/
what the line is doing in the air. Too many people cast badly with lousy
technique because they really don't know what the principle of fly casting
really implies. They have to be as one with their rod and line when
casting, and not wonder what chapter three or four in their casting
instructions said.

Perhaps the best advice on casting I've ever read. Would that it had been
available 20 odd years ago.

Um.....but then, I guess I'd have been busy reading it rather than doing
what it says.

Wolfgang
who knows that learning as a by-product of doing is often much more
efficient than learning first.....and then starting over from scratch in the
doing, while unlearning all the crap.