multipliers

Old August 15th, 2004, 09:32 AM
malcolm

Default multipliers

"H. Neary." wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 05:42:02 +0100, "Alex"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:28:12 +0100, "Alex"
wrote:
The reel would be one for a right handed person. generally speaking,
for right handed persons the fixed spool is wound with the left hand
and the *multiplier with the left* Why, who knows, it just seems to
"feel" right.

Should that have read *multiplier with the right*
Reading the replies and thinking about it, if it did not have a level

wind I
would find it more natural to feed the line back on with my left
hand,winding with my right.
I have bought it anyway, unused, display model without its box for £45.
Next question. how do I prevent a birdsnest? LOL

Thanks.

No problem, just don't put line on it :-)

My particular Abu reccommends loading to within a 1/4" of the spool
end top. Then screwing the brake in until the casting weight only just
pulls the line off the spool when the release is operated.

If daylight fishing, I generally release the brake and control
the decent with my thumb. This is almost foolproof, and can give hours
of pleasure untangeling line when you get your timing wrong.

HN

that bit of ABU advice in the leaflet;
about screwing the caps in, only applies to Lure fishing,
do that with a 3-5oz weight on it and you will destroy (crush) your
bearings.
the spool should have a slight end to end movement not much tho.
prob half a millimeter or so, enough that you can feel it.
regards malcolm

Old August 15th, 2004, 09:36 AM
malcolm

wrote:
The reel would be one for a right handed person. generally speaking,
for right handed persons the fixed spool is wound with the left hand
and the *multiplier with the left* Why, who knows, it just seems to
"feel" right.

Should that have read *multiplier with the right*
Reading the replies and thinking about it, if it did not have a level wind

would find it more natural to feed the line back on with my left
hand,winding with my right.
I have bought it anyway, unused, display model without its box for £45.
Next question. how do I prevent a birdsnest? LOL

Thanks.

balance the line on the reel, so that it doesnt vibrate as you cast,
rotate it fast taped on, you can do this without it on a rod.
make sure you use heavier oil in the bearings to start with.
and slow casts and use your thumb to slow and brake the weight.
try a tennis ball or somthing similar for practice casts.
daytime practice is better than struggling in the dark on the beach.
regards malcolm

Old August 15th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Alex

"malcolm" wrote in message

try a tennis ball.
daytime practice is better than struggling in the dark on the beach.
regards malcolm

Good idea thanks!
Where I am going In September, has a large overspill field. I can practice
my casting in it. Empty in September, no caravans or tents, however
sometimes people walking through. casting a lump of lead around is
dangerous!.

Old August 20th, 2004, 01:50 PM
malcolm

"Alex" wrote in message

"malcolm" wrote in message

try a tennis ball.
daytime practice is better than struggling in the dark on the beach.
regards malcolm

Good idea thanks!
Where I am going In September, has a large overspill field. I can practice
my casting in it. Empty in September, no caravans or tents, however
sometimes people walking through. casting a lump of lead around is
dangerous!.

me and a mate, decided to do some prasctice casting in an empty carpark many
years ago,
the 5oz weight cracked off and it vanished out of the carpark,
off towards houses! that was a sobering moment.
regards malcolm

Old August 20th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Alex

"Alex" wrote in message
I am thinking of buying from e-bay a abu 5000 baitcaster reel.

I have bought the reel. Amassadour "0ne" 5000 it does not have "ball"
bearings in the spool.
It is unused brand new, supposedly a display model, however I am aware that
the later models all have ball bearings.
Mind you it seems to me odd that they fit ball bearings to reduce friction
and increase the speed of the spool and then fit magnetic brakes to slow it
down. LOL
Does anyone have any imfo on this model? Bushed bearings are in the spool.
Could I get a replacment spool with ball bearings?