UK fishing help

Old October 14th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Simon Adams

Default UK fishing help

Guys,

I am currently in the process of writing and launching a UK based
website that will, among other things, help people find new friends to
persue their hobbies. Fishing is one activity that we are concentrating
strongly on. I, however, have not fished in a while, and so was
wondering if you guys could spare 2 minutes to help me.

What I need to know, basically, is what the differences between course
and game fishing are. Also it would be very helpful if I can generate a
list of fish that people commonly go after in the UK.

Many many thanks,

Si
Old October 14th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Phil L

Simon Adams wrote:
:: Guys,
::
:: I am currently in the process of writing and launching a UK based
:: website that will, among other things, help people find new
:: friends to persue their hobbies. Fishing is one activity that we
:: are concentrating strongly on. I, however, have not fished in a
:: while, and so was wondering if you guys could spare 2 minutes to
:: help me.
::
:: What I need to know, basically, is what the differences between
:: course and game fishing are. Also it would be very helpful if I
:: can generate a list of fish that people commonly go after in the
:: UK.

This site gives the records for coarse fish in the UK but it hasn't been
updated for a while:
http://www.nfsa.org.uk/ntcg/brfc/rec...oarse_fish.htm
All the fish listed there are fished for regularly in this country although
the skelly is now a protected spiecies (I think).
Carp fishing has become an industry by itself and many isheries have sprung
up which contain little else but carp.
Match fishing lakes tend to contain roach, perch, rudd, tench, bream and
maybe barbel and carp but they're all fairly small.
I don't fish rivers myself but if you do you can expect to catch barbel,
grayling, chub and just about anything else on that list.
The main difference between coarse and game fishing is that game fishing is
catching edible fish and in coarse fishing the fish are put back alive...the
methods of catching different spiecies differ greatly too, you are unlikely
to catch gudgeon while fishing for barbel, although if you are trying to
catch pike, you could end up catching a zander!

Old October 15th, 2004, 02:00 AM
Simon Adams

Phil L wrote:
Simon Adams wrote:
:: Guys,
::
[...]

OK. From what I have read here and on the internet, I have leart the
following. Does it sound OK to you?

Fishing can be split into 3 types. Game, coarse and sea.

Sea fishing is self explanatory.
Game fishing invovles catching fish that are eaten
Coarse fishing involves fishing in fresh water. Because there are few
fresh water fish good to eat, they are usually put back?

Old October 15th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Derek.Moody

In article , Simon Adams
wrote:

Fishing can be split into 3 types. Game, coarse and sea.

Sea fishing is self explanatory.

You sure?

Eels, even at sea, remain classified as coarse within 12 miles of the
shore. Trout and salmon remain game likewise.

Game fishing invovles catching fish that are eaten

They don't have to be.

Coarse fishing involves fishing in fresh water. Because there are few
fresh water fish good to eat, they are usually put back?

Hmmm. Even that's an oversimplification.

Where will you classify grayling? What about mullet, bass, flounders and
shad in rivers?

Better not mention sticklebacks.

Cheerio,

Old October 15th, 2004, 06:37 AM
simon

also...
Traditionally game fishing meant pursuit of any species of fish with an
adipose fin.
The adipose fin is a small fleshy fin located behind the dorsal fin and in
front of the caudal fin.
The grey area always used to be Grayling which many game (as in trout and
salmon) fishermen regard as a coarse fish.

if you treat Game fishing as fishing for Trout (all variants), Salmon and
Charr then you won't be far wrong in the
eyes of most...

Old October 15th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Richard

"Simon Adams" wrote in message
Phil L wrote:
Simon Adams wrote:
:: Guys,
::
[...]

Snip

No ........ full of flaws ...... Richard