Catfish Bait?

Old March 27th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Steve Jensen

You mean the frozen corn in a bag from a grocery store? Do you use a
hair rig?

I just read of a big catfish caught on a piece of beef jerky. Ever
tried that?

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:39:37 -0500, "Pepperoni"
wrote:

Don't knock hot dogs as bait until you try it. My "picnic baits" (hot dogs
and frozen corn) accounted for about 40 fish last year over 8 pounds. Carp
have a sweet tooth and cats love meat; both feed by smell.

Old March 27th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Pepperoni

I indeed use the bagged frozen corn. (on a small bronze hook) Nothing
fancy, I merely slide on 8-9 kernels (enough to cover the hook). Beef jerky
is too expensive for bait. Carp will sometimes take the hot dog bait, but
corn is more effective. Cats love meat/ carp love sweet. Both are very
sensitive to smell. (unbelievably so)

Pepperoni

Old March 29th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Rose

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:39:37 -0500, whilst I was lookin "Pepperoni"
wrote:

Don't knock hot dogs as bait until you try it. My "picnic baits" (hot dogs
and frozen corn) accounted for about 40 fish last year over 8 pounds. Carp
have a sweet tooth and cats love meat; both feed by smell.

Pepperoni
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/flathead.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/earlymorncarp.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/gonefishin02.htm

"Deepwater" wrote in message
Are the hot dogs for you or the fish?? (chuckle)

I like using plain old hot dogs cut about 1/4 inch thick. Others

locally
like to use panfish fillets rolled with the meat outside, to good

result.

Actually it doesn't sound like a bad idea - would love to try it
myself!

Rose
http://members.aol.com/Roseb44170/home.html
"How in the heck did I ever get talked into this?"
Old March 30th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Dr. D

I use corn meal for carp and beef fat, night crawlers, dried meat on triple
hooks with leaders for cats. Richard G.

Old April 11th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Michael

I use stink bait alot. Stuff works well for me. works better in the summer
months then spring and fall. I have had good luck with Catfish Charlies
cheese. CatTracker dip bait works the best, the shrimp or sewer bait. I
have caught flatheads, blues and channels on that stuff over 10lbs. Alot of
people say you will just catch little ones and flatheads will never go for
it. Whole raw shimp works well and bream heads are good for big blues and
channels. Or use live ones for flatheads. But shrimp and stink bait catch me
alot of fish.

www.cattracker.com

"RogerN" wrote in message
nk.net...
Are the catfish stink baits any good? I have tried them a time or two and
have never caught anything on any that I have tried. Or perhaps I should
ask what are the best catfish baits?

Thanks!

Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
keviinpiter keviinpiter is offline
Junior Member

I hope we have a larger river. Huron only run 4-5 feet deep near the place where the most. Many big cats have been on the big river. We have catwalk, too, but they do not seem to travel far upstream. I made this year, so I may be able to get some pictures of channel cats this year. They ran to the river every night, back to the vicinity of large deep lake.
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:23 PM
pigychopes pigychopes is offline
Junior Member

I alone accumulate a hardly baggy line, so I can see the take when the band twitches. The big bodies don't hesitate, a brace twitches of the baggy line, and I set the hook. Getting them affective off the basal is the problem, I charge to get them affective so I can get them after 20 yards where I can acreage them by hand.