bull trout

Old May 15th, 2005, 11:07 PM
rw

Default bull trout

on ABPF

Old May 16th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Wayne Knight

"rw" wrote in message
m...
on ABPF

Nice fish

Old May 16th, 2005, 04:17 AM
bugcaster

"rw" wrote in message
m...
on ABPF

Great composition on the photograph. How about the rest of the story?

bugcaster

Old May 16th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Mike Makela

"rw" wrote in message
m...
on ABPF

Nice...what was the location, generally?

Old May 16th, 2005, 04:54 AM
rw

bugcaster wrote:
"rw" wrote in message
m...

on ABPF

Great composition on the photograph. How about the rest of the story?

It was at Redfish Lake, not far from Stanley. This was the first of two
I caught this afternoon. The second was considerably bigger -- maybe 25"
-- but the rain was torrential when I landed it, so I don't have a
photo. (Sorry, Wolfgang.)

Both caught on a purple woolly bugger with lots of flash, which has
become my go-to fly for big, predacious char (bull trout, lake trout,
and brook trout) in our nearby lakes. Fished with a fast-sinking
shooting head and a home-built IM6 7wt rod. The reel in the photo is an
Old Florida.

Enough details? :-)

Old May 16th, 2005, 05:05 AM
bugcaster

"rw" wrote in message
m...
bugcaster wrote:
"rw" wrote in message
m...

on ABPF

Great composition on the photograph. How about the rest of the story?

It was at Redfish Lake, not far from Stanley. This was the first of two I
caught this afternoon. The second was considerably bigger -- maybe 25" --
but the rain was torrential when I landed it, so I don't have a photo.
(Sorry, Wolfgang.)

Both caught on a purple woolly bugger with lots of flash, which has become
my go-to fly for big, predacious char (bull trout, lake trout, and brook
trout) in our nearby lakes. Fished with a fast-sinking shooting head and a
home-built IM6 7wt rod. The reel in the photo is an Old Florida.

Enough details? :-)

More than enough details to make me wish I was out in Idaho, or I had the
guts to hit the halibut grounds with the weather off Newport.

Thanks for the plug for purple, I have heard guides say they think it mimics
the squid's ink. I don't think your fish have seen a squid, so who can say.

Great day for you.

Old May 16th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Larry L

How did you get the fish to sit up so straight and pretty?.

Old May 16th, 2005, 11:33 PM
rw

Larry L wrote:
How did you get the fish to sit up so straight and pretty?.

The weird thing is that I couldn't get it to lie still for a regular
fish-on-ground photo. :-)

Old May 16th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Wolfgang

"rw" wrote in message