Carp

Old October 13th, 2005, 08:44 PM
greg

Default Carp

As I understand it, all the rainbow (save steelhead) and brown trout were
brought to this country.
The main native trout were Cuts and Brooks (I know, not really a trout) and
the sea run stuff.

"James" wrote in message

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

"I.Epstein" wrote in message
That's some reading comprehension you got there.

Instead of reviling the carp, lets restore the waterways, and the native
populations.

(Yes I know bass aren't native to Arizona, but trout are.)

Nor are most trout. Only the Apache Trout is a native to Arizona.

Old October 14th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Musashi

"greg" wrote in message
As I understand it, all the rainbow (save steelhead) and brown trout were
brought to this country.
The main native trout were Cuts and Brooks (I know, not really a trout)

and
the sea run stuff.

Rainbows are native to the western United States.
Including the chars, Cutthroats, Dolly Varden, Lake, Brook trout are
all native to the United States. The Brown trout was introduced from Europe.

http://www.aps.uoguelph.ca/~aquacent...ons/TROUT.html

Old October 14th, 2005, 08:11 AM
James

"Musashi" wrote in message

"greg" wrote in message
As I understand it, all the rainbow (save steelhead) and brown trout

were
brought to this country.
The main native trout were Cuts and Brooks (I know, not really a trout)

and
the sea run stuff.

Rainbows are native to the western United States.
Including the chars, Cutthroats, Dolly Varden, Lake, Brook trout are
all native to the United States. The Brown trout was introduced from

Europe.

http://www.aps.uoguelph.ca/~aquacent...ons/TROUT.html

The Rainbow Trout was introduced in Arizona in 1898.

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/fish_rainbow_trout.shtml

Old October 14th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Musashi

"James" wrote in message

"Musashi" wrote in message

"greg" wrote in message
As I understand it, all the rainbow (save steelhead) and brown trout

were
brought to this country.
The main native trout were Cuts and Brooks (I know, not really a

trout)
and
the sea run stuff.

Rainbows are native to the western United States.
Including the chars, Cutthroats, Dolly Varden, Lake, Brook trout are
all native to the United States. The Brown trout was introduced from

Europe.

http://www.aps.uoguelph.ca/~aquacent...ons/TROUT.html

The Rainbow Trout was introduced in Arizona in 1898.

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/fish_rainbow_trout.shtml

Rainbows are native to the UNITED STATES.
Specifically the northern west coast.
The first state that received a shipment for transplant was New York State
in 1874.
Arizona got theirs in 1898.
I was addressing the incorrect statement that "As I understand it, all the

Old February 15th, 2006, 06:10 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish,rec.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing

Just a few words on Carp
1 it's a fish that kids cab catch and have a lot of fun with
2 if you do want some fun try fishing them on a light fly rod,,,,,,
couple of short tugs on the fish and they will jump
the bugle bass are not the villians
peace
"Musashi" wrote in message
.. .

Old February 15th, 2006, 03:26 PM posted to alt.fishing.catfish,rec.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing

MR Ed wrote:
Just a few words on Carp
1 it's a fish that kids cab catch and have a lot of fun with
2 if you do want some fun try fishing them on a light fly rod,,,,,,
couple of short tugs on the fish and they will jump
the bugle bass are not the villians

They are indeed the villains, they will rapidly become 80, or more
percent of the total fish weight in a body of water, never throw one
alive, back into the water, it is our only way to try to control their
numbers, if they survive only 6 months, they are too large for perdation

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:44 PM posted to alt.fishing.catfish,rec.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing

What we need is a marketing effort to make Carp Fishing more attractive.
Yea, the Brits kill me with their Carp Fishing but they have the right idea.
Also come up with away to use all that Carp. Don't tell me that we have no
hungry
people left in this country.

Old February 16th, 2006, 01:14 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish,rec.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing

Fredrick wrote:

What we need is a marketing effort to make Carp Fishing more attractive.
Yea, the Brits kill me with their Carp Fishing but they have the right idea.
Also come up with away to use all that Carp.

The Brits have no native large fish left, you want a fight,, all you
have is the imported carp, as they dominated all their water ways, since
their introduction,, no we should not accept carp,, we should spend to
time to generate a means of eradicating them, if they become a popular
game fish then they won't,, then in another hundred years, the only big
fish we will have will be carp, personally I like big cat fish and strip
much better than carp.

Have you ever ate carp ? I have,, sorry, but I put it at the bottom of
the list according to taste,, so do most americans,, it's nearly unheard
of in stores down south,, maybe up north they sell them, but down here
they are harvested for cat food, and the price is less than a dollar a
pound, (if you can find someone to buy them) hardly worth fishing for
commercially

They do have a few carp "shooting" contest up on the Tennessee river,
these guys take bows, and shoot them, it now takes a bow shooter two
flat bottom boats completely full, and almost sinking, to get even in
the running (they tow another boat behind the shooting boat and fill
them both up), I've heard some of these one day turnies kill a couple
hundred tons of carp, and don't even dent the population in Gunterville
lake. I think that now carp are over 50% of that lake's total fish weight

Old February 16th, 2006, 04:02 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish,rec.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing

Rodney Long wrote:

They do have a few carp "shooting" contest up on the Tennessee river,
these guys take bows, and shoot them, it now takes a bow shooter two
flat bottom boats completely full, and almost sinking, to get even in
the running (they tow another boat behind the shooting boat and fill
them both up), I've heard some of these one day turnies kill a couple
hundred tons of carp, and don't even dent the population in Gunterville
lake. I think that now carp are over 50% of that lake's total fish weight

I just found out that they have changed the rules of those tournaments,,
they got where they could not unload the tons of carp (cats must have
got smart),, now they shoot all they can, but only bring in 5 fish to be
weighed, (the rest fertilizes the lake I guess), and the top weight of
the five fish is judged

Old February 19th, 2006, 01:08 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish,rec.outdoors.fishing

Rodney Long wrote:
MR Ed wrote:
Just a few words on Carp
1 it's a fish that kids cab catch and have a lot of fun with
2 if you do want some fun try fishing them on a light fly rod,,,,,,
couple of short tugs on the fish and they will jump
the bugle bass are not the villians

They are indeed the villains, they will rapidly become 80, or more
percent of the total fish weight in a body of water, never throw one
alive, back into the water, it is our only way to try to control their
numbers, if they survive only 6 months, they are too large for perdation

Ideally you don't condone wanton waste. Would guess you won't get any
business in Europe where Carp are appreciated.

If you're going to kill Carp, utilize them completely. Your cooking
skills not good enough to eat them? Find someone who can utilize them
(any Asians in your community?)

The reason Carp flourish in the reservoirs is humans who dammed the
reservoirs.

If you want to see the true villain species, just look in the mirror.

It's good to have no limits on non-native Eurasian minnows (Carp, Grass
Carp, Bighead Carp, Silver Carp, Black Carp, and any similar species I
may have forgotten in this list), but in the very least, use them as
fertilizer.

With all the poverty and the bad US economy, there are bound to be
people who would gladly eat Carp rather than starve.

Scoring, pickling, adding lots of spice.

I once caught a large Carp and took it to an Asian family. The husband
and I cleaned the Carp, the wife cooked it and showed me some pointers
on preparation, and it didn't taste bad.

The main problem I have with consuming Carp around where I live is the
Carp might have industrial pollutants from eating the gunk on the
bottom of polluted rivers. Once again, homo sapiens is to blame for my
not harvesting more Carp.

Bighead Carp seem to be the biggest danger to the environment where I
live, so I try not to release any I catch. Unlike Carp, who tend to
eat abundant stuff many native fish wouldn't consume in the first
place, Bighead Carp eat the plankton that are needed by baby fish and
by Paddlefish, thus Bighead Carp (and their close relative the Silver
Carp) destroy the entire food chain.