What glue or adhesive will bond fishing line (nylon?) ?

Old October 23rd, 2005, 03:59 PM
Fishing Guy

Default What glue or adhesive will bond fishing line (nylon?) ?

What type of glue or adhesive will bond monofilament fishing line?

By bond, I mean form a real chemical bond from one strand of fishing
line to another, and not simply form a hard shell around the strands
where they can still be pulled through after the adhesive cures.

I understand that most fishing line is basically nylon, and if so I
guess I'm looking for an adhesive specifically for nylon (yes?). I'm
trying to bond short pieces of fishing line across (or perpendicular
to) a longer length of line. So the glue would be applied at the node
where they cross.

Heating the strands to bond them together doesn't seem to work in a
predicatable way because the strands are too small (we're talking
about 10 to 15 lb fishing line).

Any ideas?
Old October 23rd, 2005, 07:58 PM
Rodney

Fishing Guy wrote:
What type of glue or adhesive will bond monofilament fishing line?

By bond, I mean form a real chemical bond from one strand of fishing
line to another, and not simply form a hard shell around the strands
where they can still be pulled through after the adhesive cures.

I understand that most fishing line is basically nylon, and if so I
guess I'm looking for an adhesive specifically for nylon (yes?). I'm
trying to bond short pieces of fishing line across (or perpendicular
to) a longer length of line. So the glue would be applied at the node
where they cross.

Heating the strands to bond them together doesn't seem to work in a
predicatable way because the strands are too small (we're talking
about 10 to 15 lb fishing line).

Any ideas?

Yes, learn how to tie knots that don't need any glue, because what your
seeking does not exist.

If you need a small knot, that will go through rod eyes smoothly I
suggest a double nail knot, a double Uni is also good but about 1/3
larger in Dia.

see http://ezknot.com/line2line.htm, any nail knot tool will work, you
don't have to buy mine
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Old October 23rd, 2005, 11:33 PM
Bill McKee

"Rodney" wrote in message
Fishing Guy wrote:
[...]

He is not doing fishing, he is making some kind of net.

Old October 24th, 2005, 01:02 AM
David H. Lipman

From: "Bill McKee"

| He is not doing fishing, he is making some kind of net.

Knots are still the way to go at the crossing nodes.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old November 17th, 2005, 02:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing,alt.fishing

I use plain "super glue" it works fine for me for my fly fishing.
Mike

Fishing Guy wrote:

What type of glue or adhesive will bond monofilament fishing line?

By bond, I mean form a real chemical bond from one strand of fishing
line to another, and not simply form a hard shell around the strands
where they can still be pulled through after the adhesive cures.

I understand that most fishing line is basically nylon, and if so I
guess I'm looking for an adhesive specifically for nylon (yes?). I'm
trying to bond short pieces of fishing line across (or perpendicular
to) a longer length of line. So the glue would be applied at the node
where they cross.

Heating the strands to bond them together doesn't seem to work in a
predicatable way because the strands are too small (we're talking
about 10 to 15 lb fishing line).

Any ideas?

--
"The best and the most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or
even touched. They must be felt in the heart." -- Helen Keller
Old November 17th, 2005, 03:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing,alt.fishing

The best glue for bonding over 56 different lines tested is PRO's
Soft~Bait Fishing Glue. Inclusive lines tested are all mono,
flurocarbons, nylon polymers, braids (dacrons) and dacron blends and
many other varibables. This is not a commercial but merely the truth
after using PSBglue for salt water fishing for over 5 years on mostly
monofiliments and flurocarbons in the 30 - 60 test line class lines,
never had one break off and we do a lot of trolling all day long at
times. It actually bonds with the lline your applying it too instead
of eating at it like other CA's (cyanoacrylates) do because of our
unitque' formula. If you think this is like other CA's, please don't
because, like your favorite fishing line, there are others you don't
care for right because your works best. Try to mend any Yamamoto brand
of bait or any brand you want to keep on your hook like a magnet and
our product works as designed. One drop is all it takes and it stays
flexible and will not break away from where it's bonded.

Oh, and the reason other glues keep the knot secure and weaken lines
is, they contain acid.

Best Wishes!

Mike Rice
www.prosoftbaitglue.com