Fishing question

Old November 3rd, 2005, 04:40 AM
Stinkweed

Default Fishing question

wrote in message ...
White Bass is a freshwater Striped Bass.
A Hybrid is a cross between the fresh water Striped Bass and Salt water
Striped Bass.
A shell Cracker is just another type of Bream it is a thicker and larger
in general. It has a more yellow bellie than some others. I'm not sure
why they are called that.

I think I am going to have to get a fish chart for this group or look on the
net for one. Thanks. :-)

Old November 3rd, 2005, 10:06 PM
tightwad

I have caught freshwater Drum. The world record came from below a dam
not too far away.
I'm not sure they are related to White Bass, at all.
Old November 4th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Bill McKee

White Bass are not striped bass. Hybrids are a cross between a striped bass
and a white bass. Fresh and salt water striped bass are the same bass.
Striped bass are anadromous in nature. They go to sea and spawn in fresh
water rivers. They can also stay in the rivers forever. So the striped
bass has been transplanted all over the place. Here in the San Francisco
bay area, they go up the Sacramento and San Joaquin river to spawn and the
majority go to the ocean in the summer to feed. We catch them off the
beaches north and south of the Golden Gate. As well as in the rivers. Lots
up the rivers now, so go fishing until the water cools more, and they slow
down. The were originally planted in the late 1800's and 5 years later
there was a commercial fishery for them.

Old November 4th, 2005, 02:05 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "Bill McKee"

| White Bass are not striped bass. Hybrids are a cross between a striped bass
| and a white bass. Fresh and salt water striped bass are the same bass.
| Striped bass are anadromous in nature. They go to sea and spawn in fresh
| water rivers. They can also stay in the rivers forever. So the striped
| bass has been transplanted all over the place. Here in the San Francisco
| bay area, they go up the Sacramento and San Joaquin river to spawn and the
| majority go to the ocean in the summer to feed. We catch them off the
| beaches north and south of the Golden Gate. As well as in the rivers. Lots
| up the rivers now, so go fishing until the water cools more, and they slow
| down. The were originally planted in the late 1800's and 5 years later
| there was a commercial fishery for them.

Those Striped Bass transplanted in the late 1800's in your waters were taken not too far off
my beach here in NJ.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old November 4th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Jeff

From: "Bill McKee"

--

And Striped Bass are not Striped Bass, just another name for a ROCKFISH.
Yea, I'm a Marylander, but anyone on the Bay knows they are Rockfish.

Old November 4th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Jeff

"Stinkweed" wrote in message

The Shellcracker really eats snails? Our lake is loaded with snails.

And you will never get rid of them. I just learned a snail lesson. I just
started up my first aquarium since I was a kid 35 years ago. Got a lot of
good info off of rec.aquaria.freshwater and the tank is doin great BUT, I
bought some aquatic plants at Petsmart. With them I imported a snail that I
saw at the top of the tank. One poster from the other group said "KILL IT or
youll have hundreds". I didnt get to it in time and now 4 weeks after
putting the plants in, everything is great but I have 100's of snails to try
to get rid of. Apparently 1 snail can become 50 in a very short time, like
weeks.

Old November 4th, 2005, 04:06 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "Jeff"

From: "Bill McKee"

| White Bass are not striped bass. Those Striped Bass transplanted in
| the late 1800's in your waters were taken not too far off
my beach here in NJ.

--

| And Striped Bass are not Striped Bass, just another name for a ROCKFISH.
| Yea, I'm a Marylander, but anyone on the Bay knows they are Rockfish.

A rose by any other name... :-)

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old November 4th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Stinkweed

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Stinkweed" wrote in message

The Shellcracker really eats snails? Our lake is loaded with snails.

And you will never get rid of them. I just learned a snail lesson. I just
started up my first aquarium since I was a kid 35 years ago. Got a lot of
good info off of rec.aquaria.freshwater and the tank is doin great BUT, I
bought some aquatic plants at Petsmart. With them I imported a snail that
saw at the top of the tank. One poster from the other group said "KILL IT
or
youll have hundreds". I didnt get to it in time and now 4 weeks after
putting the plants in, everything is great but I have 100's of snails to
try
to get rid of. Apparently 1 snail can become 50 in a very short time, like
weeks.

Apparantly they want the snails in the lake, I sent the email to someone who
is on the board and they said they wanted the snails there as they help keep
the lake clean. It is clean I have to admit, you can see the bottom almost
in the most deepest parts. I have never seen a lake so clean.