I need to know (from people who fish with live worms or crickets)

Old November 5th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Rodney

Default I need to know (from people who fish with live worms or crickets)

If you don't, and your kids or grand kids don't use live worms or
crickets, this will not interest you, just move on to the post

Guys I need your help, as most of you know, I design terminal tackle for
a living. I'm very selective on what new tackle I submit to
manufacturers, first it's got to work,, and work better than anything
currently on the market, I find this out by extensive testing, or course
then it has to be manufactured for a price the consumer will accept,
finally it has to have a market, it must do something that the fishermen
want done. After I prove all of this, I take it to the manufacturers for
licensing.

Here is the input I need from y'all, does this have a market, would you
buy such a thing if it was at your local tackle shop ? I am not trying
to sell y'all anything here, and I will never offer them for sell from
my web site. I just need to know if such a product is wanted by fishermen.

The way I ask this, is I tell you what it does and how much it should
retail for.

Some of you will have no use for it what so ever, because you do not
fish this way, If you use worms or crickets, this may be of interest to you.

There are billions of worms and crickets sold each year to pan
fishermen, actually more people pan fish than any other type of fishing.

There is one problem that has never been solved using worms and cricket
for bait, that is the ease of fish removing them from the hook, kids
loose more bait than adults due to them not setting the hook before the
bait is lost. In the past, hook companies have tried to solve this
problem by adding barbs on the shaft of a hook, this has helped a little
but very little.

I started the 2005 season on a quest to solve this problem, in a cheap
but effective way, and one that fishermen could instantly understand how
it works.

To refresh your memory, pan fish, especially bream, suck the cricket or
worm off the end of the hook, they slide it down the shaft, and around
the bend. I sought a way to keep this from happening, and found a
solution, a very effective solution. Unfortunately, not one that could
be bent into the hook it's self, the bodies of crickets and worms were
to fragile for a truly effective means, using just a specialty bent
hook. This is an add on, on to the hook

I tested this on both large and small blue gills, with unheard of
results, I caught as many as 10 large blue gills on a single cricket, or
section of night crawler worm, the baits were mutilated after a few
fish, but they were still on the hook. Other fish continued to hit them
the average was 5 fish per
cricket, 8 per worm section (pinched off 1 inch sections).

I then tested it along the shore on little 3 and 4 inch blue gills, (an
over sized number 4 hook was used) I was using a float, and just wanted
to see how many times the float could go down, before they finally
"tore" the cricket off, this averaged between 10 and 20 hard bites (the
float going completely under) before they managed to bust the cricket up
so bad they refused to hit it again. This would greatly increase the
number of fish caught by kids who miss bites.

These will retail for around 10 cents a piece, or 10 for a dollar, they
add less than 3 sec's. time to baiting the hook, and so simple to use,
7 year olds that bait their own hooks, have had no problems with doing
it right, after only being shown how once. It in no way interferes with
setting the hook

Is there a market for a cricket and worm, dead bolt lock ?

Locks don't stop thieves, they only slow them down :-)
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Old November 5th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Rodney

Terry Lomax wrote:
I would be reluctant to use a device that keeps live bait on a hook
even if someone gave me the device. The main reason: I'd suspect the
fish would be turned off by the retaining device. They might not
bother to bite when they see the device, and if they do bite, they
might quickly get spooked by the unnatural feel and bad taste of the
device.

First, thanks for your thoughtful answer, and you are correct, I would
think, but this was addressed in this design, this is so small, that
throughout testing it should no reluctance of the fish to hit it, even
bass attached like normal, you would have to look very hard to notice it
with the baited hook in your hand, you would have to be looking for
something different, just a glance you would not even see it,

In an old tackle box originally belonging to my grandparents, there's a
device intended to keep minnows on a hook without being stolen. It's a
mesh container. Haven't used it, figuring the mesh would reduce the
bait's ability to twitch along with the above-mentioned visual and
tactile turnoffs. Apparently that idea was discontinued 50+ years ago.

Worst of all, I believe the bigger the fish and the more special the
species, the more likely the fish will avoid the retaining device. A 4
or 5 inch Bluegill might not mind, but a 7 inch Bluegill that would
bite a regular hooked worm might avoid a retained one, and other
species such as Catfish or Carp might avoid the worm entirely. One
reason I use worms is the chance of something huge or unusual biting.

Again in testing, many catfish were caught, no carp, but I would think
it's just there were none there. (testing was not a 1 day affair, it was
done over two months, more than 100 man hours of fishing

When I test anything , I test it side by side a control (using what is
normally used) if I end up catching less fish on a new product, it is
dropped, if I can't correct the problem. Actually I drop new products if
they are not at least twice as effective as what's normally used. It is
impossible to license something to a tackle manufacturer if its not.

Stolen bait is a fact of life.

That is something I'm trying to change, I don't accept "you just have to
live with it" on anything, things that were thought were just a fact of
life 100 years ago have been totally eliminated today. Just because we
have always done something one way , does not mean there is not a better
way that someone can invent.

Your thinking though, is one that will be thought by many fishermen, and
one that must be over come with proper marketing, thanks for being so
honest sharing it

One way I cut down on lost worms is to
use pieces instead of an entire worm.

One bait that should be protected is chicken livers because they're
incredibly easy to steal. Have hear a good protector of chicken livers
is cut pieces of stocking/hose, then enough for the scent of the livers
to seep through.

A better, faster, and easier way is to just take 10 inches of sewing
thread and wrap the liver with it after it's on the hook, no knot is
needed, you would not think it would work , but it does

Old November 5th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Terry Lomax

[...]

Stolen bait is a fact of life. One way I cut down on lost worms is to

Old November 5th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Stinkweed

"Rodney" wrote in message
[...]

Most likely I would buy it as I think worms are the best bait to fish with
and as much as I hate to admit this, I will be honest here. I am afraid to
put worms on the hook so I use shrimp as my husband doesn't like me
pestering him every 10 minues for another worm. If he could put a worm on
for me that would last for a long time he wouldn't mind doing it. So for
sure I would try it.

Old November 6th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Bob La Londe

"Stinkweed" wrote in message

Most likely I would buy it as I think worms are the best bait to fish with
and as much as I hate to admit this, I will be honest here. I am afraid
to put worms on the hook so I use shrimp as my husband doesn't like me
pestering him every 10 minues for another worm. If he could put a worm on
for me that would last for a long time he wouldn't mind doing it. So for
sure I would try it.

LOL. You have gone a long way towards furthering the sterotypes of women.
My wife is squeamish about butchering game, but then most men are too until
they have done it a few times. She doesn't have any problems putting a worm
on a hook though. Its just a part of fishing. Some folks like helping
others all the time when fishing, and some would like to be able to show you
how and then go back to their own fishing. Sounds like your husband is
kinda in between on this.

I don't have an opinion on Rodney's bait keeper. When he has it a little
further developed I'll ask him for one to try, but then I am still waiting
on the bungee drop shot rigs he said he would send me to try. LOL.

I'm not sure how this is designed, but there are a number of retainers for
plastics on the market that do work. Most lead head jigs are molded with a
barbed collar, and Terminator jigs come with a stiff wire that is almost
unnnoticable until you study the jig carefully. The bait slides under the
wire and then the end of the wire digs in to hold the bait in place.
Terminators are one of the best bass jigs I have used, so a "bait" retainer
may not be a bad idea for crawlers depending on how it works.

For minnows, a weedless bait holder is very popular for trolling large
shiners. It acts as a bait retainer, and of course helps to shed some weed
growth.

As to crickets there isn't much better for keep them on the hook than the
neck of a water balloon. Similarly with crawdads a small rubber band is
pretty much unbeatable.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old November 6th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Bob La Londe

P.S. Rodney. Give people more of a chance to offer their objections,
opinions, and reservations before jumping in to "defend." A quick counter
makes people a little hesitant to offer their opinions. You asked for
feedback. Take what people say and step back and think about what each
thing they say means in terms of what you are trying to achieve. If
necessray start a research or records table where you list every suggestions
and reservation people bring up. Go through everything that you get in the
way of feedback and make the appropriate changes to both your product and
your presentation. Then if necessary reintroduce the NEW version of the
product with the new presentation that covers the issues in a positve light.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old November 6th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Stinkweed

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

"Stinkweed" wrote in message

[...]

I know I am terrible to love fishing so much and not be able to hook a worm.
Laugh some more, my husband got me an automatic worm hooker once where you
put the worm in this long thing and it was suppose to make the hook go right
in him, but it didn't work very good, he scrunched right up and wiggled and
I couldn't do it. I used to be able to do it when I was a kid, but one day
I just went fishing and the worm wiggled and I couldn't do it. I guess I
grew up. But the shrimp works pretty good, I catch Bass, Perch, Bluegill,
and have caught a Walleye with it. But they can steal it off the hook
pretty easy and shrimp isn't cheap.
Thanks for all your advise.

Old November 7th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Cyli

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 14:16:36 -0600, "Stinkweed"
wrote:

(snipped)

I know I am terrible to love fishing so much and not be able to hook a worm.
Laugh some more, my husband got me an automatic worm hooker once where you
put the worm in this long thing and it was suppose to make the hook go right
in him, but it didn't work very good, he scrunched right up and wiggled and
I couldn't do it. I used to be able to do it when I was a kid, but one day
I just went fishing and the worm wiggled and I couldn't do it. I guess I
grew up. But the shrimp works pretty good, I catch Bass, Perch, Bluegill,
and have caught a Walleye with it. But they can steal it off the hook
pretty easy and shrimp isn't cheap.
Thanks for all your advise.

I refuse to use live bait for various reasons. But there's no reason
you can't use artificial worms, is there? Try various kinds and see
how they work for you?

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: lid (strip the .invalid to email)
Old November 7th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Rodney

Bob La Londe wrote:

I don't have an opinion on Rodney's bait keeper. When he has it a little
further developed I'll ask him for one to try, but then I am still waiting
on the bungee drop shot rigs he said he would send me to try. LOL.

Sorry about that Bob,, I plume forgot, I will get them out this week, I
would say tomorrow but they are going after a kidney stone in the
morning, if they can't get it, it gets busted up Tuesday

Old November 7th, 2005, 02:25 AM
Stinkweed

"Cyli" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 14:16:36 -0600, "Stinkweed"
wrote:

(snipped)

[...]

I do have several artificial worms and I have used them, when I say I use
shrimp I use the shrimp in the grocery store. The kind that is in a package
in the cooler that has been cleaned and that you can eat. The fish love it,
I get the small ones.