Cabela's

Old December 30th, 2008, 01:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

Default Cabela's

A friend and I drove up to Scarborough, Maine today to visit the
Cabelas that opened this year. First time in a Cabelas, and I was
impressed with the prices. They have got to be chomping on LL Bean's
profit margin. I was looking for a good dry bag to take on an
upcoming trip, but couldn't find one I liked.

We spent about an hour looking at shotguns and pistols. I've been
looking at buying a S&W 9mm, but I was suprised to find the price a
bit high, or at least a little higher than I can get for the same
weapon here in Taxachusetts.

Mike left with a gun cleaning pad and pistol bag to carry his "****"
in when he goes to the local club to shoot, and I bought four big
Wooly Buggers. I also checked out a couple of Loomis fly rods.

We ate lunch at the Portland Pie Co. If you ever get a chance to
visit this franchise, order the Deer Island - stacked honey ham with
tom and let, sweet peppers, honey mustard, and melted cheese on top.
Best damn sandwhich I've ever had. Washed down with a Shipyard Ale.

Old December 30th, 2008, 04:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Dec 29, 6:27*pm, Dave LaCourse wrote:
[...]

Dave

I stopped in, for the first time in a Cabelas, at the new store in St.
Louis 2 weeks ago while on the road. Talked with Dave, a very
knowledgeable fly fisher. Prices seemed lower than Bass Pro for tying
material. I will visit the Cabelas north of Fort Worth in a couple of
weeks. Although I purchase alot at Bass Pro, most of my tying stuff is
from Barlows Tackle in Richarson, TX just a couple of miles from home
with a giant selection of quality stuff. No wing burners though.

Take a look at the Taurus 9mm. A pretty good mid price range pistol.
But check the S&W 45 out if you decide on a S&W...a nice piece of
equipment. Maybe my next.

No Portland Pie Co.'s in TX.

Guy
Old December 30th, 2008, 01:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

I have the benefit of having both a Cabelas and a Bass Pro within 25
miles of my home. The guys that work in the fly shops are in my
club. That being said, I prefer Cabelas even though the guy at Bass
Pro is more knowledgeable. Its like the difference between Walmart
and Target. The stuff in Cabelas is just a bit better in quality and
better organized. Granted, you can find some of the better stuff in
Bass Pro, but on the whole, the stuff in Cabelas is a higher grade.
'Sides, I just love the bargain cave. Being a cheap GI, I love the
prices I can get in the Cave and they're willing to dicker a bit. Got
a Scott 1308 spey and a Teton Tioga #10 for less than 300 bucks
total.
Frank Reid
flytyer37.blogspot.com

Old December 30th, 2008, 05:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

On Dec 30, 7:47*am, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:
That being said, I prefer Cabelas even though the guy at Bass
Pro is more knowledgeable. *Its like the difference between Walmart
and Target.

My subjective feeling is sorta the same. The BPS here is a nice store
and has lots of cool stuff; but I just can't get past the bass
fisherman impression. I just won't buy or wear anything from there
with BPS on it to avoid being thought a devotee of that "pro" sport,
and the bubbas on barstools stereotype that goes with it. I can get
the same stuff elsewhere anyhow.

My intro to Cabelas OTOH was through their catalog as a teenager, and
though I'm not outdoorsman enough to utilize most of their stuff, I've
always enjoyed the browsing. I guess it comes down to first
impressions.

The only other similar "outdoors" store around here is Gander Mountain
outside York, PA. Last time I was there, they had a terriffic fly
tying inventory; but I caught a sale so good it made me wonder if it
wasn't a clearance sale on that department.

Joe F.
Old December 30th, 2008, 05:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

Interesting, I see a post from our Maryland fire juggler below mine on
Google Groups in the message tree but it isn't there in the messages.
Frank Reid

Old December 30th, 2008, 06:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

On Dec 30, 11:44*am, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:
Interesting, I see a post from our Maryland fire juggler below mine on
Google Groups in the message tree but it isn't there in the messages.
Frank Reid

It'll probably show up eventually. I've seen that happen a lot
lately. Methinks Google groups just isn't too quick about whatever
the process is these days.
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

On Dec 30, 11:54*am, rb608 wrote:
On Dec 30, 11:44*am, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:

Interesting, I see a post from our Maryland fire juggler below mine on
Google Groups in the message tree but it isn't there in the messages.
Frank Reid

It'll probably show up eventually. *I've seen that happen a lot
lately. *Methinks Google groups just isn't too quick about whatever
the process is these days.

Done showed up so I guess you're not a fignewton of my imagination.
Frank Reid
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

rb608 typed:
snip
I just won't buy or wear anything from there
with BPS on it to avoid being thought a devotee of that "pro" sport,
and the bubbas on barstools stereotype that goes with it.

Geez, Joe. I feel the same about engineers, but I don't go broadcasting my
prejudices all over the Internet!

Oops.
--
TL,
Tim

Old December 30th, 2008, 10:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Dec 30, 8:07*am, rb608 wrote:
[...]

Bubbas on barstool is bad, but supporting an organization that
blantely supported the soon to be gone kleptocracy is unforgivable.
The hypocritical *******s make their fortunes from the outdoors yet
they support the regiem that had done more harm to the environmet that
any in history. If I am going to buy **** from China I'll buy it from
BP, Dicks, Fishermans MArine Supply or any other outfit that keeps
their politics to themselves. Screw Cabelas, Cheney and the whole
f___ing bunch. I was catching fish and haveing a good time long
before I ever heard of them, I can continue to do so.
Old December 31st, 2008, 01:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:57:22 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I was catching fish and haveing a good time long
before I ever heard of them, I can continue to do so.

Then why don't you keep your asshole shut?