Very bad news.

Old June 14th, 2011, 02:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DavePA

Default Very bad news.

On Jun 13, 7:23*pm, jeff wrote:
Dave - *Are there funeral or other arrangements? *addresses for cards,
flowers, etc.?

jeff

On 6/13/2011 1:07 PM, DavePA wrote:

On Jun 13, 5:03 am, *wrote:
Wolf; any updates?

Joel had a DNR order. *He stopped breathing this morning and has
expired.

Jeff,

Joel's family members and friends are each finding their own way to
deal with and accept the loss of such a beautiful spouse, parent, and
friend. Nothing is officially organized at this time.

Joel's wishes were to donate his body to science. It was also his
desire to have his remains scattered over a flowing stream.

Old June 14th, 2011, 02:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Jun 14, 1:07*am, DavePA wrote:
On Jun 13, 5:03*am, riverman wrote:

Wolf; any updates?

Joel had a DNR order. *He stopped breathing this morning and has
expired.

Salute.

Myron
Old June 14th, 2011, 02:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike

Very sad news cancer is a terrible disease.......I remember sharing
the Mike and Mike hole at Three Streamer Stans with him on many an
occasion......A great fishermen and all around very nice
person.........Condolences to his children and extended
family...........
Old June 14th, 2011, 04:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Ken Fortenberry typed:
Tim J. wrote:
Ken Fortenberry typed:
He always signed his posts *DFD* but he would never reveal why.

You never asked him. ...

I should have said, Joel would never tell *me* what *DFD* meant,
because I did ask, in person.

I should have said "You never asked him. . . nicely." ;-) I think the
reveal came while I was working with him on the fly line conversion chart
from the old style designation to AFTMA numbers (
http://css.sbcma.com/timj/flyline_chart.htm ) and I seem to recall having to
ask more than once. Joel has always shared his information (besides the
*DFD* secret) freely and contributed much to my enjoyment of fly fishing and
ROFF.
--
TL,
Tim

Old June 14th, 2011, 04:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

DavePA typed:
On Jun 13, 5:03 am, riverman wrote:
Wolf; any updates?

Joel had a DNR order. He stopped breathing this morning and has
expired.

Rest in peace, Joel. Forever one of the "good ones" here on ROFF.
--
TL,
Tim

Old June 20th, 2011, 07:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
William Claspy[_2_]

On Jun 13, 1:07*pm, DavePA wrote:
On Jun 13, 5:03*am, riverman wrote:

Wolf; any updates?

Joel had a DNR order. *He stopped breathing this morning and has
expired.

So a guy stops checking in on old friends, comes back after along
absence, and finds THIS.

Joel was the first face I saw at the first Penns I attended. Can any
of you who knew him imagine a better person as an introduction to that
fine river, or to the company of, well, the rest of you?

It was mid-afternoon and the rest of all y'all were out working the
water, so Joel jumped in the passenger seat of my car and took me down
to... well, you know where he took me. And that was that. What a
fine man.

To those of you who knew him better than I did, my condolences. You
don't need me to tell you what a great guy he was. To those who never
met him, may you have your own Joels in your life, or even better, BE
a Joel to some young man who might feel awkward at being at an event,
that you might make him feel welcome.

Tight lines, Joel.

Bill
Old June 20th, 2011, 08:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
s g

On Jun 10, 11:08*pm, Mike wrote:
Damn that is bad news A very pleasant man he is..........I think I
will make a plaque depicting The Axelrad Stretch on Penns
Creek.......I will always remember him as I have a sweet 8'2" 5wt that
was made and sign by Mr. Alexrad......Please my condolences to his
family........Joel you will be missed my friend...........

* * * * * Mike Shaw
* * * * * The Handy One

I for one will always call that piece of Penns Creek the Axelrad
Stretch in memory of fishing there with Joel. Sad news. I hope to
fish that section again with some of you all.

--Stan Gula

Old June 21st, 2011, 06:22 PM
johnnobama johnnobama is offline
Junior Member

Just talked to Wolfy. Joel had gone down to Penns to adhere with DavePA. Didn't feel able-bodied and Dave took him to the hospital. He's been there anytime since. Doesn't attending like he's traveling to accomplish it out. That's all we know.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:50 PM
Tzuriel Kastel Tzuriel Kastel is offline
Junior Member

I was Joel's nephew. My Mom was his sister. I found your forum when my Mom told me some of these comments were read at the memorial last week in his honor.

I am touched by all the comments about my Uncle. You are all correct. He was a terrific person and a really fun uncle. Knowing that he made your lives better is consoling.

Thank you for all your words of comfort during this difficult time.

Best of luck,

Tzuriel
Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jun 22, 3:50*pm, Tzuriel Kastel Tzuriel.Kastel.
wrote:
I was Joel's nephew. *My Mom was his sister. *I found your forum when my
Mom told me some of these comments were read at the memorial last week
in his honor.

I am touched by all the comments about my Uncle. *You are all correct.
He was a terrific person and a really fun uncle. *Knowing that he made
your lives better is consoling.

Thank you for all your words of comfort during this difficult time.

Best of luck,

Tzuriel

--
Tzuriel Kastel

Tzuriel,
Many of us here have fished with Joel. As you may have guessed,
there is an area of Penns Creek in PA that we have all grown to know
as the "Axelrad Stretch." If we all went to the 4 winds and got
skunked, you could always find Joel at the Axelrad Stretch catching
fish right near the campground. He epitomized Mark Twain's saying:
"There is no use in your walking five miles to fish when you can
depend on being just as unsuccessful near home."
We all remember Joel as the guy with the Deke Slayton smile and the
never empty martini glass. A friend, fisherman, rod builder... but
most importantly, a friend. His is and ever will be missed.
Frank Reid