Fishing in North Carolina

Old March 10th, 2004, 03:04 AM
luv2bafield

Default Fishing in North Carolina

I am a Florida bass fisherman who is going to Beech Mountain next week and
would like to take in a little trout fishing with some spinning gear.

I have read some of the regs and, no offense to my NC friends, but I am
totally confused...so many different types of water and so many different
rules, seasons, bait types, etc.

Can anybody just tell me of a few good places to go where I can fish from
the bank with natural or artificial bait near Beech Mtn? Thanks. I may
have a child or two tagging along also. My kids are not total novices, so
we really aren't interested in a commercial fish pond. I'd like to toss an
inline spinner or some other small artificial in a stream, if possible.
Corn niblets would be another possibility.

BTW, are corn niblets artificial or natural under the regulations?

Thanks.

Keith

Old March 10th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Tim J.

"luv2bafield" wrote...
I am a Florida bass fisherman who is going to Beech Mountain next week and
would like to take in a little trout fishing with some spinning gear.

I have read some of the regs and, no offense to my NC friends, but I am
totally confused...so many different types of water and so many different
rules, seasons, bait types, etc.

Can anybody just tell me of a few good places to go where I can fish from
the bank with natural or artificial bait near Beech Mtn? Thanks. I may
have a child or two tagging along also. My kids are not total novices, so
we really aren't interested in a commercial fish pond. I'd like to toss an
inline spinner or some other small artificial in a stream, if possible.
Corn niblets would be another possibility.

BTW, are corn niblets artificial or natural under the regulations?

I usually toss in the whole ear and let the fish pick the nibblet for
themselves.
--
TL,
Tim

Old March 10th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Wayne Knight

"Tim J." wrote in message

(I know, I know; it's "be nice to the newbies" week, but ya gots ta love

someone
posting this on a fly fishing group. He's either totally lost or

trolling.)

Or someone who knows that if you want trout information for a specific area,
maybe it's best to go to the fly fishing newsgroup? It isn't like he's
putting on a front, I appreciate his honesty and wish I could help him.

Old March 10th, 2004, 04:47 AM

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 03:04:33 GMT, "luv2bafield"
wrote:

I am a Florida bass fisherman who is going to Beech Mountain next week and
would like to take in a little trout fishing with some spinning gear.

I have read some of the regs and, no offense to my NC friends, but I am
totally confused...so many different types of water and so many different
rules, seasons, bait types, etc.

Can anybody just tell me of a few good places to go where I can fish from
the bank with natural or artificial bait near Beech Mtn?

(remainder snipped)

When you get to Beech Mountain, find a tackle or bait shop and stop in
and ask the manger or owner (or anyone else who'll talk to you.). Buy
a couple of things first, though, just for good manners. Take along a
DeLorme map or very good other map and have them mark spots for you,
making notes on what lures and baits you can use in each spot.

Enjoy yourself.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old March 10th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Jeff Miller

beech mountain has a few streams on or around it... one is beech creek.
but, as you'll discover, most nc streams are not easily fished from
the bank. usually, one hikes and fishes up the stream or down the
stream. to my knowledge, fishing with a single hook artificial...in-line
spinners qualify...is allowed in all but the fly-fishing only waters,
and i doubt you'll stumble into them on your trip. i've never fished for
trout with natural bait, so i haven't paid attention to those regs. my
recommendation would be the watauga river delayed-harvest areas in valle
crucis and between boone and foscoe, especially if you will have kids
along. it's c&r until june, so you can't keep the fish, but you should
be able to catch plenty. there is also a stretch of the linville river
just off the parkway. stop by walt winter's shop, wilson creek
outfitters, in morganton, or the copeland's shop, appalachian anglers,
on hwy 105 between boone and foscoe. they'll point you in the right
direction. btw, areas of the watauga near beech have good smallmouth
fishing, as does the new river over by todd, nc.

jeff

Old March 10th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Tim J.

"Wayne Knight" wrote...
"Tim J." wrote...

(I know, I know; it's "be nice to the newbies" week, but ya gots ta love

someone
posting this on a fly fishing group. He's either totally lost or

trolling.)

Or someone who knows that if you want trout information for a specific area,
maybe it's best to go to the fly fishing newsgroup? It isn't like he's
putting on a front, I appreciate his honesty and wish I could help him.

Maybe I'm just getting more cynical as I age. My bad; carry on.
--
TL,
Tim

Old March 10th, 2004, 06:29 PM
luv2bafield

"Wayne Knight" wrote in message ...
"Tim J." wrote in message

(I know, I know; it's "be nice to the newbies" week, but ya gots ta love

someone
posting this on a fly fishing group. He's either totally lost or

trolling.)

Or someone who knows that if you want trout information for a specific area,
maybe it's best to go to the fly fishing newsgroup? It isn't like he's
putting on a front, I appreciate his honesty and wish I could help him.

Exactly. Thank you for the defense. And thank you to anybody else who
has some helpful information.

Thanks again.

Keith
Old March 10th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Tim J.

"luv2bafield" wrote...
"Wayne Knight" wrote...
"Tim J." wrote...

(I know, I know; it's "be nice to the newbies" week, but ya gots ta love

someone
posting this on a fly fishing group. He's either totally lost or

trolling.)

Or someone who knows that if you want trout information for a specific area,
maybe it's best to go to the fly fishing newsgroup? It isn't like he's
putting on a front, I appreciate his honesty and wish I could help him.

Exactly. Thank you for the defense.

Hey, I already conceded the point. You want blood?

And thank you to anybody else who
has some helpful information.

No problem. ;-) Save the cob for pipe making, and have fun with your kids. I
often wish mine were young again.
--
TL,
Tim

Old March 10th, 2004, 10:06 PM
JohnR

Keith,

Hatchery supported waters other than delayed harvest are closed until April
3rd. Thus if you want to fish for trout, you'll need to fish a single hook
artificial (and corn isn't considered artificial) on either wild trout or
delayed harvest waters.

Go to www.ncwildlife.org and look up what streams are open on the NC
Wildlife Resources Comm. website.

Hope this helps.

-John

PS: There are some really good fly shops in the Boone/Beech Mtn. area. Two
that come to mind are Foscoe Anglers and Appalachian Anglers.
ink.net...