Speckled Trout

Old October 28th, 2004, 02:20 PM

Default Speckled Trout

More reports available at Tidal Fish
http://www.tidalfish.com

BigJim writes:
Well, I ventured out today for the oft elusive speckled trout. He
wasn't so elusive today however once I figured things out.

I began in the Elizabeth River with a high tide. I was a little late
getting started, about a half hour after dawn but the tide wasn't
running yet so I felt OK. However it never really started to run
either. It took over an hour for the first fish, a nice 19" keeper. A
move of only 100 yards however helped things along and I picked up four
more fish in the next hour. The size however convinced me that the
paper I was seeking was not going to come there so I picked up, put the
boat on the trailer and headed to Poquoson Flats. I arrived on the
flats at slack low tide. At least it seemed slack. Water was clear
enough to watch flounder and puffers chasing and sometimes ripping my
grubs. No speckles there so I kept looking. A move further around the
flats was a good move. A good school of trout were found just off a
channel in about 8-9 feet of water. Without a hard current, (it seemed
soft everywhere I fished today) the trout had backed off to a little
deeper water. At one point I caught speckles on five consecutive casts.
The slower the bait the better the hit! I finished the day catching and
releasing a double limit bringing home two nice 19-20 inch fish for an
elderly neighbor who loves them. The rest are still out there waiting
for you guys.

PS. I was surprised that I did not pick up many stripers today while
speck fishing. I only caught one and he was undersized. I also only
caught one puppy drum. Usually the by catch is much higher when speckle
fishing.