High Quality Hand Tied Flies

Old February 28th, 2006, 05:57 PM posted to alt.flyfishing

Default High Quality Hand Tied Flies

I have a question for all you fly fisherman out there. Where do you buy
your flies? A lot of flies stocked by some fly shops are of medium to poor
quality as are the one's available online. However they usually are cheap
in price. I've done a lot of commercial fly tying in the past but it was a
side job for me. I've since retired from my full time job and am looking to
get back into professional fly tying again. What I wanted to do was set up
a web site so the flies can be ordered online.

I use only the best materials like Hoffman (Whiting Farms) hackle, etc. I
use Hoffman Hen hackle tips for all my dry fly wings, even the small sizes
rather than duck quills or other items. They provide a much better
silhouette and minimize line twist. I would tie custom patterns to your
specifications if you wish. My flies are not your common fly shop type but
are designed to give the best presentation, durability and performance.

My question is, would this be something you think people would be interested
in or do you think most people prefer cheap (inexpensive but less quality),
over quality (cost a little more but more quality)?

Old February 28th, 2006, 10:54 PM posted to alt.flyfishing

it probably depends on what 'cost a little more' works out to.

Old March 24th, 2006, 07:18 AM posted to alt.flyfishing

"2dragons" wrote in message
[...]

What you're suggesting is a tough Racket. (believe me)
I own a fly-website. I sell my flies DANG Cheap and they are terrific
quality. (At least I think so)
The problem is Fly tying has turned into a regular means of income in Third
world countries.
I admit there is a lot of junk out there from these folks, but there are
some danged skilled tiers too. I don't make a whole lot off of each dozen
flies I sell, and still sales are slow. A trip into DICKS sporting goods and
LL Bean has pretty much affirmed to me that they are buying out of the
country and shipping in .

There are some good comercial tiers in the North Western US. but they seem
pretty expensive to me.
Folks in the US just can't make a living off selling their flies as cheap as
they can in third world countries.

I think if you do go into this business you will have to market to Elite
minded people who think they HAVE to spend $3 to $6 on each single fly. So
you might want to advertise at private golf clubs, and places that serve
caviar.

The guys that fly fish around here in Maine and the guides that I do sell to
both online and out of my shop appreciate a balance between price and
quality. And when you find the right supplier who can provide both.....

I personally have given up the idea of tying flies to sell. Once you buy the
good rumpf or mustaad hooks, and even purchasing tying supplies wholesale
for the shop, time spent tying, eye strain and boredom about the time you
have tied the third dozen siz 12 black wolly bugger.... its no fun, and
barely profitable.
I have not however, given up the satisfaction of catching a good fish on a
fly I tied myself.

Cortland wholesales flies.... starting somewhere in the $6.00 - $8.00 per
dozen range. Thier flies are probably tied here in the US. but held up to
the ones I get from outside the US... theres no difference. Even snapping
them around, off trees and rocks.... their the same.
My tiers might be the exception to the rule, and I had to risk a good bunch
of money to get set-up and find them...... but it has paid off.

Perhaps you could look into tying fly novelties. Like framed salmon flies /
shadow boxes? I'm working on some now... fisherman just eat that stuff up..
you'll sell a lot at Fathers day.
_______________________________
www.fly-fishing-flies.com
Flies from $5.60 per DOZEN and more!
_______________________________

Old July 27th, 2006, 03:41 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Gerard Zazzera

I'm just about given up too after production tying for 12 years. I'm lucky
to find my niche I get materials and hooks , the shop I tie for is looking
for the quality flies I tie.but It's hardly profitable like said. I'm
considered very good, I'm looking into shadow boxes myself. It always seems
too much work for little money. If I was getting $ 2.00 a fly then I could
make a go.
the shop owners have the reputation and the market place. a lot of places
are resorts too. Its convenience you know. walk out of your room and go
fishing close, stop in the shop and you have to have what the fish is on.
shop owners have shared with me that 75 % of their business or more is from
fly sales. I believe it.
I guess the American tier coulden't or diden't want to keep up with the
demand. flies are outsourced like everything else these days.

Old July 31st, 2006, 04:29 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
[email protected]

"Sprattoo" wrote in message
"2dragons" wrote in message
[...]

For me flytying is integral to the sport. Only when I tried to do it
commercially (1986-1987) did I find it a burden.

Your pal,

TBone
A cash flow runs through it.