Bimini Twist in 50lb Power Pro

Old January 2nd, 2006, 02:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Bimini Twist in 50lb Power Pro

I am using 50 lb Power Pro on my son's bonefish rod (OK, it's a fly rod, cut
me a break here).

Has anyone every tried tying a loop in the Power Pro using a standard Bimini
Twist? I have tied it on the bench and it seems to work fine, but I don't
want to learn that it isn't really a good knot while "on-the-job".

Thanks from Rick

Old January 2nd, 2006, 07:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:28:26 -0500, "Richard Liebert"
sent into the ether:

I am using 50 lb Power Pro on my son's bonefish rod (OK, it's a fly rod, cut
me a break here).

Has anyone every tried tying a loop in the Power Pro using a standard Bimini
Twist? I have tied it on the bench and it seems to work fine, but I don't
want to learn that it isn't really a good knot while "on-the-job".

Thanks from Rick

What is a Bimini Twist?

I use a Palomar knot most of the time.

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!

Old January 2nd, 2006, 07:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 14:13:56 -0500, "Richard Liebert"
sent into the ether:

wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:28:26 -0500, "Richard Liebert"
sent into the ether:

I am using 50 lb Power Pro on my son's bonefish rod (OK, it's a fly
rod, cut
me a break here).

Has anyone every tried tying a loop in the Power Pro using a standard
Bimini
Twist? I have tied it on the bench and it seems to work fine, but I
don't
want to learn that it isn't really a good knot while "on-the-job".

Thanks from Rick

What is a Bimini Twist?

I use a Palomar knot most of the time.

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and
Fish!!!

Why do I need to do a search. I use a palomar knot on all my fifty
pound Power Pro. It works.

Old January 2nd, 2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

I think you ask What it was
--
Chris S
Replace net with com to e-mail

Old January 2nd, 2006, 07:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Richard Liebert" wrote in
message ...
I am using 50 lb Power Pro on my son's bonefish rod (OK, it's a fly rod,
cut
me a break here).

Has anyone every tried tying a loop in the Power Pro using a standard
Bimini
Twist? I have tied it on the bench and it seems to work fine, but I don't
want to learn that it isn't really a good knot while "on-the-job".

Thanks from Rick

Most every San Diego long range tuna boat uses the Bimini Twist for
connecting topshots of mono to spectra.

Old January 2nd, 2006, 08:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

The bimini twist has been a popular knot for years in heavy salt water
fishing applications however it is starting to become very popular with
freshwater fishermen also. Lefty Kreh has been using the knot for several
years on his light tackle.

I did tie up a bimini loop on some 50lb Power Pro during lunch today and
tried to break it in vain. I just could not break it. I think I answered my
own question.

For those of you who wondered what the knot is, it is basically a large loop
on the end of your line. What makes it special is that it is one of the few
knots that retains 100% of the line strength once tied (correctly) assuming
you are tying mono. I read that it does not retain 100% of a braided super
line strength, more like 75%. I don't know if this is true yet. Also, the
knot is pretty slim and can slide through a guide without getting hung up.
This is a nice feature if you are attaching a long leader onto a fishing
line or fly line onto backing using loops.

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Richard Liebert" wrote in
message ...

Old January 2nd, 2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Richard Liebert" wrote in
message ...
I am using 50 lb Power Pro on my son's bonefish rod (OK, it's a fly rod,
cut
me a break here).

Has anyone every tried tying a loop in the Power Pro using a standard
Bimini
Twist? I have tied it on the bench and it seems to work fine, but I don't
want to learn that it isn't really a good knot while "on-the-job".

Thanks from Rick

Looks like a fairly complex knot to tie to me. Why tie it? To be able to
change leaders more quickly by passing a leader loop through the main line
loop?

I have had very good luck tying back to back uni knots when I want a leader.
--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old January 2nd, 2006, 11:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

The application is fly line to Power Pro backing. The usual knots don't work
well. I actually am starting to think a loop will not work since the super
line will probably cut through the fly line. It looks like I'll end up
connecting the lines together with a knot called a "Fishys" Braid-to-Line
Knot (Basically a unitknot slipped up against a simple overhand knot, then
whipped with 6/0 thread.

"Richard Liebert" wrote in
message ...

Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Richard Liebert" wrote in
message ...
I am using 50 lb Power Pro on my son's bonefish rod (OK, it's a fly rod,
cut
me a break here).

Has anyone every tried tying a loop in the Power Pro using a standard
Bimini
Twist? I have tied it on the bench and it seems to work fine, but I

don't
want to learn that it isn't really a good knot while "on-the-job".

Thanks from Rick

Looks like a fairly complex knot to tie to me. Why tie it? To be able to
change leaders more quickly by passing a leader loop through the main line
loop?

I have had very good luck tying back to back uni knots when I want a

leader.

Uni-to-uni knots also work well for tying braid onto spooled mono as well.
That way we can prespool enough mono to give the superline something to
"bite into" on the reel's spool while not requiring a full length of the
braid to fill the spool. Saves me a few $$ a year by backing braid with mono
on my bassin rigs. Let's face it, PP is so much smaller in diameter than
equaivalent poundage of mono, we'd need more than a 150yd spool to "fill" a
typical baitcaster almost.

I've recently done these same connecting unis to connect leader to PP in
sal****er situations, and haven't had a failure as of yet. You just have to
be somewhat careful to get "close" to similar line diameters. If the mono is
too "big" and the braid is "too small", the braid can sometimes cut thru the
mono.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com