tying the DS without line twist ... sorry, another DS question

Old September 7th, 2006, 06:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
ndy

Default tying the DS without line twist ... sorry, another DS question

new at it obviously, really think I need to get this into my arsenal,
and have read all the other threads on this and the various related
article, so allow some slack for maybe the obvious .....

I can't figure out how to eliminate the line twist, using the palomer
knot type, that happens when you taunt up the smaller dia. lines like
6lb test. had this problem as well when I was an avid fly fishermen with
the very fine leaders but that knot is at the end and if you get a
little twist, not as big a deal, plus it seems easier to pull it out
some at the end. I wet the line with saliva and try to take it slow, all
different ideas from the years I spend with fine leaders, but I always
get a pretty good curly cue in the line around the hook which I assume
isn't the best thing to have for efficiency. or maybe I'm too picky. any
tricks???

plus, one last thing. I here many guys talk about hook size, modeling
after RichZ, he suggests #2 Gamakatsu split shot/drop shot hooks, which
is a pretty small hook, or is that actually 2/0, which seems pretty big
to me.

like I said, probably the obvious, but just a little clarification would
be much appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old September 7th, 2006, 06:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"ndy" wrote in message
[...]

I tie a trilene knot with the tag end going back down through the eye of the
hook. I don't get a curly cue. I wet the line thoroughly before pulling
down.

Still get line twist when landing fish, but most times its livable.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old September 7th, 2006, 08:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

ndy wrote:

I can't figure out how to eliminate the line twist, using the palomer
knot type, that happens when you taunt up the smaller dia. lines like
6lb test.

plus, one last thing. I here many guys talk about hook size, modeling
after RichZ, he suggests #2 Gamakatsu split shot/drop shot hooks, which
is a pretty small hook, or is that actually 2/0, which seems pretty big
to me.

like I said, probably the obvious, but just a little clarification would
be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

Here is the solution to it http://www.standouthooks.com/,, you can use
any knot you want, and any hook size

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

That little curlycue isn't really line twist. It's the same thing you
get if you pull a length of mono between your thumbnail and your index
finger.

I pull my palomar knot tight in 3 stages to avoid it. Pull both lines
until the knot it down to about a 1/4" loop or less. Then pull the main
line to "tight, but not stressed tight", wet it again, and then pull the
tag end to lock it up. That way, the curlycue will be in the tag end,
not the main line.

And yes, I mean a #2 hook. A #1 on bigger baits, and sometimes as tiny
as a #4 on really tiny baits, like a 3" Lake Police Dart or 2.5" Fin-S fish.

Note that Gamakatsu also markets a nearly identical hook for walleye
anglers, and the hook sizes are totally different.
Old September 8th, 2006, 05:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
ndy

RichZ wrote:
That little curlycue isn't really line twist. It's the same thing you
get if you pull a length of mono between your thumbnail and your index
finger.

oh yea, poor choice of words now that mention it.

I pull my palomar knot tight in 3 stages to avoid it. Pull both lines
until the knot it down to about a 1/4" loop or less. Then pull the main
line to "tight, but not stressed tight", wet it again, and then pull the
tag end to lock it up. That way, the curlycue will be in the tag end,
not the main line.

been trying to sneak up on the knot as well but with not much success.
I'll use those suggestions and keep at it. I read you guys over at
ctfishermen and know I have to learn the DS to ever expand my results on
the Champlain.

And yes, I mean a #2 hook. A #1 on bigger baits, and sometimes as tiny
as a #4 on really tiny baits, like a 3" Lake Police Dart or 2.5" Fin-S fish.

thanks