Fishtales..

Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:01 PM
Christopher P. Cericola

Default Fishtales..

The other day I was on the lake and had a guy trying ot pull a fish tale on
me.. This guy tries to tell me using 4# test with a small hook(sunny sized,
I mean TINY) with a piece of corn he landed a 5# bass. To add further
complicatons to this - he's using a light action rod that the top two eye
holes are gone(and the rod as well) and midway down his pole he has
duct-tape holding the rod together.

Now, I'm not saying it's impossible but I'd find it VERY hard to believe a
guy could land a fish that large on that set of gear. Maybe if his pole
wasn't broken or if he was using a normal sized hook..but this just seems
WAY too far fetched.

So what's the best/worst fish tale you've heard?

Christopher

Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:46 PM
Christopher P. Cericola

"go-bassn" wrote in message
What? A fisherman telling a fib? No...

I fish therefore I lie.

We all fib..but damn, be believable.

Christopher

Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:46 PM
Christopher P. Cericola

Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:47 PM
alwaysfishking

It's possible, I've seen 4-5 pound bass caught on 4 pound test on snoopy
poles with tiny hooks. I also caught a 8 inch crappie on 65 pound braid with
a 5 inch senko. Caught bluegills on 4/0 wide gap hooks and 7 inch worms.
anything is possible.

Best fish story was taken from a book called (i think) 1001 greatest musky
stories ever told. It was about a guide up in Canada who was out walleye
fishing and had a huge musky come up and tear the stringer from the side of
the boat. He noticed the fish had a scar under it's eye. He went back out
the next day with some musky gear and caught the fish. I think it was
between 51-55 inchs.The story was much better than I could ever re-write
here from memory

Another tale told of a guy fishing for musky and as he was realling in a
good size 40 inch + another musky 50+ came up and grabbed it. Some of the
details of both story's are a bit fuzzy as I read about it a while ago. I'd
be interested to hear more from other on this group. Of course the funniest
tale might involve Mr Huber and a seagull, but only if Dan tells it :-)

Old August 2nd, 2004, 04:37 PM
Bob La Londe

[...]

Some of the best stories were true. One day fishing for little stocker
trout at Fortuna Pond my cousin went over to admire a nice blugill caught by
a lady angler next to us. Well mostly he wanted an excuse to flirt. Just
then his fishing pole rocketed off the bank into deep water.

One of the old striper records on Lake Powell was caught on a 5lb LM. (not
the current record) I saw pictures of it.

I caught a 5 or 6 lb channel cat on a Zebco pistol grip glass rod with a
Zebco 606 spooled with cheap 10 lb mono.

I caught a 4.5lb LM on 6lb test on a 3 wt flyrod with a small Olympia
spinning reel. On the same rig fishing for sunfish to use as catfish bait I
caught a 9.5 lb channel cat. Almost a mile of walking, wading, and breifly
swimming downstream and 45 minutes later I finally landed it.

I saw my dad spend thirty minutes battling a fish off the point at Oak
Canyon on Lake Powell. He was using a short heavy catfish rod. The reel
was spooled with 30lb test mono, and the fish ran the reel almost out to the
spool three times. He had it almost within sight twice. On the fourth run
the line parted. To give a clue how much fish that had to be we were
yanking in 8-12 lb stripers with no effort at all. Crank them in and swing
them up on the rock. 5 pounders were getting jerked in like panfish.

Some of my most memorable moments though don't make particularly good
stories. The double I caught earlier this year with two nice keeper bass on
one crank bait is one.

Another summer I broke my leg in a motorcycle accident. Hobbling down the
bank walking painfully with a walking stick it was my first fishing trip
after the accident. I had an unhealed hole in my leg and another in my
foot. The area were they borrowed skin from one leg to graft onto the other
was still raw. In the very first place I tried I had to wade out into waist
deep weeds to get to the spot where the trout were holding. On my first
drift with a honey bee pattern dry fly I nailed a scrappy little rainbow.
Perched precariously on slippery slime coated rocks under the water, and
leaning on my walking stick to keep from falling I proceeded to hook twenty
or more small trout, and land 4 of them. I would have landed a lot more if
I had a net. I had them slip out of my hands and wiggle out of my grip to
swim away several times.

AND THEN.....

One day out in the back of Island Lake I came around the back of the big
island and saw a bunch of trash laying in the water and on the bank. Beer
and soda cans were floating along with wrappers, and other trash. One thing
that got my attention was a peanut resting on a rock sticking out into the
water. I was disgusted. I started to dig under the seat for the garbage
bag I keep under there. Out of the corner of my a bit of motion caught my
attentiona s a ground squirrel ran down and grabbed the peanut. Cool. Just
then the biggest bass I have ever seen in my life jumped out of the water
and swallowed the ground squirrel whole. Whoa! I was thinking state record
as I scrambled through my tackle boxes and storage lockers looking for the
right bait to throw. I found a rat and was just tying it on when the bass
swam up and put another peanut on the rock.

One of these stories is not like the others...
One of these stories just doesn't belong...

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

Old August 2nd, 2004, 04:40 PM
Bob

Funny, I have no problem believing the part about the line and hook. I
regularly use 4#-6#, and sometimes 8#, test mono when live bait fishing with
hooks in the range of #6-#10 Aberdeen style. I have had many friends wonder
why I am using a "Crappie/Bluegill" set up for "hunting" Bass and Walleyes.
This is the basic setup originally put forth in the old Lunkers Love
Nightcrawlers book.

Even the corn part does not surprise me! But that brings us to the rod, and
here I do have problems believing. Although I am sure that anything is
possible, so who knows.

Cast far
Bob