Okuma multi reel

Old September 6th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Mike

Default Okuma multi reel

The family gave me a Okuma CN 45L multiplier reel for my birthday 2 month
ago - The clutch seems to work fine, checking by setting for slipping
against a weight but I can only wind in a weight in the region of about 2lb
else it just locks the winding mechanism. - Its had about 7 hours use in two
boat trips and despite following the advice of gentle washing in fresh water
and a light spray of oil the star drag has started to peel badly. It looks
like the star drag is made of plastic with a coating of silver paper though
the rest of the reel looks ok. - The manufacturers website in Taiwan is in
their language and the UK destributor (Svendsen-Sports) doesn't list a
telephone number though I did email them at lunchtime. - Anybody have any
advice? - Glad I didn't get any of the ling the chap next to me got
yesterday, up to about 14lb and a bag of roughly 120lb in 4 hours. I was
struggling with small cod and cuithes. - Mick

Old September 6th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Gordon Entwistle

Next time you go fishing lower the reel slowly into the sea and let go.
Then get a proper reel from Abu or Daiwa.
Cheers
Gordon.

Old September 6th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Derek

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Its a good piece of advice when you are retrieving line against a fish do it
by pumping ,if you wind consistantly against a resistance of even a couple
of pounds you will stretch the line and cause it to bed in, resulting in
reduced casting distance if it doesn't actually cause the line to snag and
worse it can cause the spool to distort with the pressure generated. I had a
look at the specs for the reel it looks like a surf/bait casting reel
judging by the high gear ratio, the americans recommend it for surface bait
fishing for wahoo- trolling so its not ideal for the UK type boat fishing
..My old dad used a Scarborough centrepin for many years for conger and skate
as he said nothing to go wrong and he could move the big rays off the
bottom.
Derek
rediscovering the art of feeding crabs after 30 years

---

Old September 7th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Mike

"Derek" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
The family gave me a Okuma CN 45L multiplier reel for my birthday 2

month
ago - The clutch seems to work fine, checking by setting for slipping
against a weight but I can only wind in a weight in the region of about

2lb
else it just locks the winding mechanism. - Its had about 7 hours use in

two

SNIP
[...]

Phoned the importer (svendsen-sports) who do not offer any assistance with
equipment under 12 month old and it must be taken up with the shop - I know
that the shop has legal responsibilty but just wanted advice with the
problem - Decided to heed Gordon's advice and buy a better make - shop says
he would have to send it back to svendson-sports for their views before any
possibility of giving a refund as he doesn't want to be out of pocket -
definitley not going to buy the new reel from him - Daughter from south who
fishes regular says Abu or Shakespeare, she says Shakespeare don't argue if
there is a problem but just sort it out - Also says that a tackle shop in
Morecambe are good that do mail order -
Mick