Saw something rather interesting on Antiques Roadshow yesterday (FIshing Decoys)

Old July 27th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Jeff

Default Saw something rather interesting on Antiques Roadshow yesterday (FIshing Decoys)

Had never heard of them, of course I never fished in Wisconsin, Minnesota or
Michigan either. These things have the general shape of a fish, are painted
in bright colors not resembling any kind of fish whatsoever and are hung on
a string. The ones I saw were from 5 inches to about 12 inches. Apparently
you put them on a string, drop them through the ice and move them around, a
fish comes up to investigate and you spear it. Like I said, never heard from
them before and thought I had seen all types of fishing. Apparently not.
Also they are valued high ti collectors. A modern one made by a well known
Decoy maker can bring $150 and an antique (50s era) can bring 500 to 1000
dollars.

Old July 27th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Pepperoni

They are decoys for ice fishing (spear-fishing) Pike are drawn to the
lure and the spear is dropped from above. In a darkened shanty, light
shining through the ice lights the hole for viewing. Fins on the decoy
are designed to make the decoy swim in a circle when lifted
occasionally, or the cord is sometimes twisted to make the decoy swim
as the twists uncoil.

If you like the prices of the fish decoys, take a look at antique hand
carved duck decoys. Prices exploded a few years ago, and the old
masters aren't around any more. You may find a $10,000 box of
grandpa's "junk" at a yard sale some day.

Pepperoni

Old July 27th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Jeff

"Pepperoni" wrote in message

If you like the prices of the fish decoys, take a look at antique hand
carved duck decoys. Prices exploded a few years ago, and the old
masters aren't around any more. You may find a $10,000 box of
grandpa's "junk" at a yard sale some day.

I saw the Decoy Ducks on Antiques Roadshow as well, one went for $7,000 for
an 1880's hand carved one. So now whenever I go to garage sales and flea
markets its one of the items I am always on the lookout for. The 450 Mile
Garage Sale is coming up next week in Alabama-Tennessee-Ky, Ill be looking
for Decoys.