A Quick Intro & Rod/Reel Question

Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:22 PM
AJH

Default A Quick Intro & Rod/Reel Question

Do you want a spinning or a baitcasting outfit?

Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:33 PM
Charles Summers

Sure Jake, this is the way it all starts out. First the little ponds, then
the tiny streams, and before you know it you're in debt up to your ears in
boat payments and truck payments! On top of those payments, you can expect
that you'll probably be buying a new rod or two every other months which of
course need to have reels attached to make them useful. Then you need baits
and boxes and other goodies to fill up the other compartments of that 20K
boat.

Whew... I think my life just flashed in front of my eyes there... sorry.

Welcome aboard the R.O.F.B. I agree that this is a very nice place to be
when not on the water, but it's also like everywhere else in that you'll
find some of us are not so nice, some of the time. That's ok though because
we're all human.

As far as your rod recommendation, for finesse fishing you'll probably want
to start with a spinning rod and reel. They're better for throwing light to
medium heavy baits with lighter lines, and also easier to learn to fish
with. It's also harder to use a baitcaster when you're trying to avoid
overhanging branches from the bank. For the price range you stated, you can
get a very nice outfit with. Or, staying in that price range, you can get
two nice outfits. There's no reason to spent $150.00 on one combo at this
point. Believe me, that'll come later.

My recommendation is a 6' spinning rod like this: http://tinyurl.com/3cbx4

You can't go wrong with Shimano...

"J.P." wrote in message
My name is Jake.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:45 PM
J.P.

I'm familiar with spinning gear and feel that it would best fit my needs at
this time. I suppose I should have been more specific with my post. My
apologies.

J.P.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:43 PM
Illinois Fisherman

The Clarus is a decent rod and will give good service. The graphite material
used in the construction is IM7 on that rod, so it has good sensitivity and
a little give. It has a fast tip for casting just about anything. If your in
slop get a medium to medium heavy 6.5ft rod. If your in tight quarters learn
how to "pitch" your lure. You should be able to get about 35ft or more on a
good pitch type cast.

A size 200/2000 or 250/2500 spinning reel will be your best al-around reel
something that will hold about 100 to 120 yards of 10lb line. If you look at
the reel it should list a 6, 8, and 10 yard line size.

Old March 24th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Craig Baugher

I.F. wrote: "The Clarus is a decent rod and will give good service. The
graphite material used in the construction is IM7 on that rod, so it has
good sensitivity and a little give."

Please folks, IM6, IM7, IM8 materials, made by the Hexcel Corporation have
not been produced in over 10 years. The labels rods manufacturers are
putting on rods, such as IM6, IM7, and IM8 are just that, LABELS. They are
MEANINGLESS! A rod identified as IM8 is not better or worse than one
identified as an IM6, because these identifiers are not identifying
anything, they are MEANINGLESS!

Modulus ratings by themselves tell you very little to nothing about the
rod's overall construction, the material, and its quality. A manufacturer
can tell you they are using 58-Million Modulus material. Ok, what does that
say about the quality of that material used or the quality of the rod, or
its sensitivity. Absolutely Nothing! Now, if the rod said 54 or even
33-million Hexcel Corporation's Hercules fibers material used, at least you
would know the raw graphite (really known as pan carbon fiber) was top
notch.

But even then, you don't really know, because G.Loomis is known to sell
their rejected materials to other rod manufacturers. Now what does that say
about labels and identifiers, because Hexcel's Hercules fibers is the
standard all other companies strive to match. So, G.Loomis rejects a batch
of Hexcel's material, and then sells this rejected material to another rod
company who can now say they are using Hexcel's Hercules fiber without
lying. Rejected material, but the legal right to say they are using the
world's best material.

High end rods cost so much, because the companies or individuals producing
them have very high quality standards, which means they pay more for all the
raw materials, and spend a great deal of money developing a rod series (R&D)
to ensure the rod will perform well for years to come.

--
Craig Baugher
Be Confident, Focused, but most of all Have FUN!

Old March 24th, 2004, 01:28 AM
\The Shadow\

Thanks Craig, you just did a huge favor to legitimate custom rod builders.

--
"The Shadow"
Millennium Rods

Old March 24th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Illinois Fisherman

Well then, by who's rating can you justify any materials used in any rod. To
me the IM rating indicates how much more Graphite being used in the blank.
The IM6 material has less graphite and is more flexible, softer and more
forgiving, than an IM8 material. The IM6 Rating to me means that it will not
break as easily as the IM8.

Personally, I don't believe that a $250.00 rod that just catches Bass is the
answer to catching fish. Then again I go for Musky, Pike, Walleye, Bass,
Cats, and Carp. Include stripers and lake trout. I find that no one rod
catches all types of fish. I need rods that I do not have to coddle. If all
you fish for in life is Bass you may have tunnel vision about fishing.

I read all the tournament wins etc. I don't see to many G. Loomis rods
mentioned, seems the Pro's use there sponsors product and still manage to
win, imagine that they win despite having inferior rods. No offense to those
who make rods for a living. I know you guys put your heart in everything you
make.

Sometimes Craig and his "I can't fish without a G. Loomis and neither can
you attitude" is just too much.

Old March 24th, 2004, 03:13 AM
\The Shadow\

It's not the name behind the blank that matters. Rather it is the technology
that goes into the blank that makes the difference. G. Loomis production
rods are really no better than any other production rod. I don't care what
any mass
manufacturer tries to sell you with their hype. If you are producing
thousands of rods you are cutting corners. It's the only way they can sell a
rod for the price they do.

They can try to tell you that they spine check blanks, but in reality they
"might" check one in a hundred. As for aligning guides to the spine, forget
it. If you want to fish a rod that was built for your specific fishing needs
then spend the money, find a rodbuilder in your area. And you
will see & "feel" the advantages of a custom built rod.

JMHO! Course opinions are like! Well you all know the rest.

--
"The Shadow"
Millennium Rods
om...

Old March 24th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Craig Baugher

I.F. Wrote "Well then, by who's rating can you justify any materials used in
any rod. To me the IM rating indicates how much more Graphite being used in
the blank. The IM6 material has less graphite and is more flexible, softer
and more forgiving, than an IM8 material. The IM6 Rating to me means that it
will not break as easily as the IM8"

You missed the point, and your statements above are not true. A lower
modulus rating does not make a blank softer, more flexible or forgiving. To
keep it simple, the higher the modulus rating the less material is needed to
achieve the same stiffness per weight, thus meaning the blank is lighter and
that is all. The action and power are determined by the design of the taper
and wrap. A rod made with graphite rated at 54-million modulus can be just
as flexible or more so than a rod made from graphite rated at 33-million
modulus.

In addition, a rod builder can enhance or dampen a blank's natural action
and power by the number, and method they use to wrap guides onto the blank.

Look I.F., I'm not picking on you, or even trying to persuade you to buy a
high end rod. I just want you and others to know the facts about modulus
ratings and manufacturers identifiers and not to put too much weigh on them
when deciding what rod you are going to buy. Nothing beats handling each
rod you want to consider for purchase and putting them through a series of
tests that includes making a cast or two with each before buying. I cannot
stress enough the importance of making a cast with the lure weigh or weighs
you intend to use with that rod, because a graphite rod will appear to be
much stiffer alone than it really is in use with a weighted lure, and no two
rods manufacturers design their rods the same. Thus, a MH, fast action to
one company may be a M, extra fast to another. Sorry, there are no set of
industrial standards, guidelines or fixed rules that govern how a rod is
rated or built.

Cool?