Newbe Intro

Old April 29th, 2007, 04:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BGhouse

Default Newbe Intro

Evening,

Apparently, seeds that were planted years ago, are starting to germinate.
I started thinking about fly fishing, started doing a fair amount of
reading. Been a long time denizen of usenet, and have been doing a bit of
lurking, mining the archives. Figured it was time to introduce myself.

Name's Bill. I'm a semi-retired federal beaurocrat living in western
Michigan. I sail, ski, and tour by motorcycle. Been an on again/off again
fisher since childhood - Bass, walleye, perch - mostly on inland lakes.

Found some reasonable sounding advice as to suitable equipment for
beginners. I'm looking at a Sage Launch 9', 5wt pole, and a Ross Cimarron
Large Arbor reel loaded with 5-wt, weight-forward, floating line, 75' of
braided backing and a 9', knotless, tapered leader w/ 4X tippet. I have a
short laundry list of flies with which to start.

The little bit of knowledge I've got stored in my DNA, gleaned from the web
and from reading Jerry Dennis' books suggests that hatches in this area are
imminent. My aunt and cousin are avid fly fishers, and I'm hoping to get
out on the river with one of them in the near term.

Looking forward to participating in the discussions in here.

--
BG
Old April 29th, 2007, 04:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

BGhouse typed:
Evening,

Apparently, seeds that were planted years ago, are starting to
germinate. I started thinking about fly fishing, started doing a fair
amount of reading. Been a long time denizen of usenet, and have been
doing a bit of lurking, mining the archives. Figured it was time to
introduce myself.

It's about damn time! We've all been wondering where you were.

Welcome to the kinder, gentler side of life, Bill.
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 29th, 2007, 06:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
bones

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 03:25:08 GMT, BGhouse
wrote:

[...]

Sweet Jesus, a pilgrim... a pilgrim lost in the Dark Woods of ROFF.
Seek the Light friend and run from this place...now!
Harry
troutflies com
Old April 29th, 2007, 09:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

"BGhouse" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You going to just tie on a new tippet when that one gets short or what?

john...'05 HD road King

Old April 29th, 2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BGhouse

"Tim J." sed:

BGhouse typed:
Evening,

Apparently, seeds that were planted years ago, are starting to
germinate. I started thinking about fly fishing, started doing a fair
amount of reading. Been a long time denizen of usenet, and have been
doing a bit of lurking, mining the archives. Figured it was time to
introduce myself.

It's about damn time! We've all been wondering where you were.

So, are you the Abe Lincoln charector? Or the beaver?

Welcome to the kinder, gentler side of life, Bill.

Thanks. Looking forward to telling stories

--
BG
Old April 29th, 2007, 04:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BGhouse

"asadi" sed:

"BGhouse" wrote in message

Found some reasonable sounding advice as to suitable equipment for
beginners. I'm looking at a Sage Launch 9', 5wt pole, and a Ross
Cimarron Large Arbor reel loaded with 5-wt, weight-forward, floating
line, 75' of braided backing and a 9', knotless, tapered leader w/ 4X
tippet. I have a short laundry list of flies with which to start.

You going to just tie on a new tippet when that one gets short or
what?

I understand that's the solution for those of us who don't have money to
burn ... Or who choose to burn it elswhere.G

john...'05 HD road King

--
BG
04 Electra Glide Classic
Old April 29th, 2007, 04:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BGhouse

bones sed:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, BGhouse wrote:

Apparently, seeds that were planted years ago, are starting to
germinate. I started thinking about fly fishing, started doing a fair
amount of reading. Been a long time denizen of usenet, and have been
doing a bit of lurking, mining the archives. Figured it was time to
introduce myself.

Sweet Jesus, a pilgrim... a pilgrim lost in the Dark Woods of ROFF.
Seek the Light friend and run from this place...now!

I like the dark woods ...

--
BG
Old April 29th, 2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeffc[_2_]

"BGhouse" wrote in message
.. .
Found some reasonable sounding advice as to suitable equipment for
beginners. I'm looking at a Sage Launch 9', 5wt pole, and a Ross Cimarron
Large Arbor reel loaded with 5-wt, weight-forward, floating line, 75' of
braided backing and a 9', knotless, tapered leader w/ 4X tippet. I have a
short laundry list of flies with which to start.

If you continue with fly fishing you'll inevitably get a small collection of
rods. But you've got one rod that you'll never have to trade in - it ought
to be a permanent part of your collection even if you add others.

The leader stuff will work itself out as you learn more. Don't hesitate to
ask. Or better yet meet up with the gang if you see a group trip posted.

Old April 30th, 2007, 03:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BGhouse

"asadi" sed:

That's what I do...with care a leader can last a season...now, we
gonna ride or what?

john

May be a few weeks ... I got hit nearly head-on a couple of weeks ago in a
spring snow storm. Both my feet are beat up. Today was a local Blessing
of the Bikes and the wx was perfect. Lots of bikes on the road. It's
killing me.

Where do you live?

--
BG
Old April 30th, 2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BGhouse

"jeffc" sed:

"BGhouse" wrote in message

Found some reasonable sounding advice as to suitable equipment for
beginners. I'm looking at a Sage Launch 9', 5wt pole, and a Ross
Cimarron Large Arbor reel loaded with 5-wt, weight-forward, floating
line, 75' of braided backing and a 9', knotless, tapered leader w/ 4X
tippet. I have a short laundry list of flies with which to start.

If you continue with fly fishing you'll inevitably get a small
collection of rods. But you've got one rod that you'll never have to
trade in - it ought to be a permanent part of your collection even if
you add others.

That's the impressions I got from all the reviews I could find. Seems like
a real value point

The leader stuff will work itself out as you learn more. Don't
hesitate to ask. Or better yet meet up with the gang if you see a
group trip posted.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it

--
BG - The full-bodied acolyte.