On the subject of backpacking...

Old February 7th, 2006, 01:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default On the subject of backpacking...

I found a very light weight survival type gear...PING-PONG BALLS!

If you need to make a fire quickly, in wet conditions, ignite a ping-pong
ball under some kindling. If ya have any cracked or spare ping-pong balls
handy just take a cigarette lighter to it and be prepared to drop it
quickly! Don't do this in the house over the livingroom sofa.

Op

Old February 7th, 2006, 02:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Mr. Opus McDopus wrote:
I found a very light weight survival type gear...PING-PONG BALLS!
Don't do this in the house over the livingroom sofa.

I take it this is from experience!

Willi
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Willi wrote:
Mr. Opus McDopus wrote:
I found a very light weight survival type gear...PING-PONG BALLS!
Don't do this in the house over the livingroom sofa.

I take it this is from experience!

You can make lightweight, cheap emergency fire starters from
dryer lint and candle wax.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Ken Fortenberry wrote in news:lHSFf.42178
:

You can make lightweight, cheap emergency fire starters from
dryer lint and candle wax.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Fine steel wool also-- no prep at all.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Old February 7th, 2006, 02:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
Ken Fortenberry wrote in news:lHSFf.42178
:

You can make lightweight, cheap emergency fire starters from
dryer lint and candle wax.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Fine steel wool also-- no prep at all.

Birch bark. No prep, no carry.

Various pine barks, cones and needles are also very good.

Wolfgang
who hears that mice will also do in a pinch.

Old February 7th, 2006, 02:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Willi wrote:

Mr. Opus McDopus wrote:

I found a very light weight survival type gear...PING-PONG BALLS!
Don't do this in the house over the livingroom sofa.

I take it this is from experience!

You can make lightweight, cheap emergency fire starters from
dryer lint and candle wax.

I meant the part about the livingroom couch.

Willi
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Willi wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

You can make lightweight, cheap emergency fire starters from
dryer lint and candle wax.

I meant the part about the livingroom couch.

Willi

The livingroom couch would be a combination of dog hair and spilled
slurpies.

Old February 7th, 2006, 03:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 01:49:32 GMT, rw
wrote:

Willi wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

You can make lightweight, cheap emergency fire starters from
dryer lint and candle wax.

I meant the part about the livingroom couch.

Willi

The livingroom couch would be a combination of dog hair and spilled
slurpies.

Geez, Stevie, maybe it's time you called Steamatic or something...and
lemmee guess - your bed is a combination of Lubriderm, tiny little cum
stains, and lonely teardrops...
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 01:26:41 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

You can make lightweight, cheap emergency fire starters from
dryer lint and candle wax.

I understand it's best if you use as much cotton lint as possible, if
not all cotton lint. I haven't tried it, but on rec.backcountry they
used to advise that.

So clean your lint trap and run your cotton towels and tee-shirts
through and use that lint. Otherwise, with a mixed load, you might be
smelling the burning polyester in the fire.

--

r.bc vixen. Minnow Goddess. Willow watcher.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.
Old February 7th, 2006, 05:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 19:29:06 -0500, "Mr. Opus McDopus"
wrote:

I found a very light weight survival type gear...PING-PONG BALLS!

If you need to make a fire quickly, in wet conditions, ignite a ping-pong
ball under some kindling.

Coleman fuel in a squirt bottle... OR a highway flare. ; )

S.T.W.