Handle Design?

Old February 25th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Charles Summers

Default Handle Design?

Joe and I were in Oklahoma this weekend for a fishing expo, and while we
were there I walked around to see what I couldn't live without. I did find a
couple of large spools of fishing line (4700yds, and 6000yds) for $15.00 per
spool, and managed to come home from this one without a new rod or reel.
But...

There was a guy there from Texas that had semi-custom G. Loomis rods for
what seemed to be a good price for a Loomis. He had a new handle design that
I've never seen before and it actually felt pretty nice with a reel
attached. I've posted a drawing on a.b.f.p. of what it looked like and kind
of described it there.

It's actually pretty simple... the middle section of a Fuji reel seat was
cut out, and the two ends were attached to the rod using some kind of rubber
bushing to secure them in place. I was wondering how long this would last
before one piece or the other started to twist, or become weak while fishing
and the reel pop off, especially while fighting a fish.

May one of the many rod builders here can have a look and see if they can
come up with a better design or a way to make it work without having to
worry about losing a reel.

Just thought I'd share this... maybe later I'll tell you about the rod that
had a toy gun attached to shoot your bait out instead of casting. LOL

--
Charles B. Summers
Secret Weapon Lures

Old February 25th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Vincent.

I've never seen before and it actually felt pretty nice with a reel
attached. I've posted a drawing on a.b.f.p. of what it looked like and

kind
of described it there.
--
Charles B. Summers
Secret Weapon Lures
http://www.secretweaponlures.com

Hi,

What is a.b.f.p.? The rec.outdoors.fishing.bass bar... just like
plomb-palette is the fr.rec.peche bar, our usual news in france? Then in
plomb-palette we can send photos too... I am curious to see this Loomis...

Vincent.

Old February 25th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Charles Summers" wrote in message
[...]

To me, it looks like a marketing ploy. I could easily build something like
that, but I wouldn't want to risk having a reel come loose under pressure.
The weight of a good graphite reel seat is negligible and you'll have a hard
time convincing me otherwise.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old February 25th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Jerry Barton

Sorry about the mistake in the previous post, it's
alt.binaries.pictures.fishing

Old February 25th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Vincent.

Thanks... but: http://www.guba.com/g/item/26560012/g18t+copy.jpg

Arround $15 for a month acces ?!?!? :-s
Did I miss something ? Which server account do you use to have it ?
alt.binaries.pictures.fishing doesn't appear in mine...

Vincent.

Old February 25th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Vincent.

To me, it looks like a marketing ploy. I could easily build something
like
that, but I wouldn't want to risk having a reel come loose under pressure.
The weight of a good graphite reel seat is negligible and you'll have a

hard
time convincing me otherwise.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

For other reasons, I'm agree with you... I feared not that the reel come
loose under pressure but that the rubber rings move in time and that we have
offen to put it back in place... I had such a handle systeme for on a
spinning rod... I had to roll it up with adhitive band to keep the reel in
place... :-s ...and of course that was ugly! :-)
By now I only use screwed handle systemes...

Vincent.

Old February 25th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Bob La Londe

Try Teranews. Its free and supports binaries groups.

They do request a credit card, but mine has never been charged. In fact I
haven't had the credit card I used to sign up for many years.

Old February 25th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Bob La Londe

"Vincent." wrote in message
[...]

Ugly may not be an issue for many anglers. My regular partner in American
Bass fishes with nothing but G-Loomis rods. He has wrapped all of them with
some nasty looking no slip padded tape that some sales man said would help
him fish longer with out tiring or something like that.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old February 26th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Craig Baugher

Bob wrote: "He has wrapped all of them with some nasty looking non slip
padded tape that some sales man said would help him fish longer with out
tiring or something like that."

Well that would dampen the hell out of the rod and eliminated the reason one
would buy a Loomis. He could buy a BPS rod and save a lot of money if that
is what he wants to do. Although the BPS wouldn't cast the same, Loomis
rods are very stiff.

--
Craig Baugher