Good quality, not-too-pricey sal****er gear?

Old March 8th, 2005, 08:01 PM
riverman

Default Good quality, not-too-pricey sal****er gear?

From some HongKong forums, I have learned that there is some freshwater
fishing there on the dams, but a LOT of sal****er fishing around the islands
and bays. So I need to add some more gear to my haul. Can anyone recommend a
brand and some models of sal****er flyfishing gear that is not too pricey? I
seem to remember that, usually, sal****er reels tend to be at the high end
of the price range, is this correct? And is there anything different or
special about a rod that will be used for swff?

I could just use my freshwater gear and rinse it regularly, but I think I'd
rather have sal****er gear, flies and equipment and keep them separate. But
I don't want to spend another fortune on gear. I guess another option would
be to go bottom-end on some more freshwater gear, and if it corrodes then
its no great shakes. But that just feels wrong.

What do folks recommend?

--riverman

Old March 8th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Charlie Choc

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:01:02 +0100, "riverman" wrote:

And is there anything different or
special about a rod that will be used for swff?

Most have larger guides including the tip top, have aluminum or other
corrosion resistant reel seats, and a fighting butt. I don't have any, but
I've heard good things about TFO rods for sal****er.

As far as a reel, most modern disc drag reels are corrosion resistant. You
want to get one that will hold 250+ yards of backing just in case. g
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com/ - photo galleries
Old March 8th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Svend Tang-Petersen

I got most of my sal****er gear on eBay. Havent had any trouble with any of it.
I bought my Orvis Vortex reels for around 350$

From some HongKong forums, I have learned that there is some freshwater

Old March 8th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Wayne Knight

riverman wrote:

From some HongKong forums, I have learned that there is some

freshwater
fishing there on the dams, but a LOT of sal****er fishing around the

islands
and bays. So I need to add some more gear to my haul. Can anyone

recommend a
brand and some models of sal****er flyfishing gear that is not too

pricey? I
seem to remember that, usually, sal****er reels tend to be at the

high end
of the price range, is this correct? And is there anything different

or
special about a rod that will be used for swff?

I would suggest a rod be purchased in Asia, if you bust it you're
probably going to have to ship it somewhere and that could take some
time. Reels in the mid price range....Ross Canyon Big Game. I would not
do anything less. Some folks like the Old Florida line of Reels but
someone I trust very much in the salt water fly fishing community told
me to stay away from them.

Old March 8th, 2005, 11:02 PM
brians

riverman wrote:
What do folks recommend?

--riverman

I have 3(7, 8 & 10wt) Temple Fork Outfitter rods, and have used two
enough to say they are very good rods.....IMHO. For reels, go with a
Abel, Tibor or Pate.....or not. ;-) Some asked about the Bass Pro Shop,
Gold Cup combo a while back. You might check to see if that got
favorable feedback.

brians

Old March 8th, 2005, 11:08 PM
riverman

"brians" wrote in message
riverman wrote:
What do folks recommend?

--riverman

I have 3(7, 8 & 10wt) Temple Fork Outfitter rods, and have used two enough
to say they are very good rods.....IMHO. For reels, go with a Abel, Tibor
or Pate.....or not. ;-) Some asked about the Bass Pro Shop, Gold Cup combo
a while back. You might check to see if that got favorable feedback.

brians

Thanks brians and all. This is good feedback.

--riverman

Old March 9th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Ken Fortenberry

riverman wrote:

... This is good feedback.

Yeah, not a smart-assed response in the whole sorry lot.

That just won't do.

Forget the sal****er fly fishing and go smoke the good
ganja on a nude beach with your girlfriend.

HTH

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 9th, 2005, 04:43 AM

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:01:02 +0100, "riverman" wrote:

From some HongKong forums, I have learned that there is some freshwater
fishing there on the dams, but a LOT of sal****er fishing around the islands
and bays. So I need to add some more gear to my haul. Can anyone recommend a
brand and some models of sal****er flyfishing gear that is not too pricey? I
seem to remember that, usually, sal****er reels tend to be at the high end
of the price range, is this correct? And is there anything different or
special about a rod that will be used for swff?

I could just use my freshwater gear and rinse it regularly, but I think I'd
rather have sal****er gear, flies and equipment and keep them separate. But
I don't want to spend another fortune on gear. I guess another option would
be to go bottom-end on some more freshwater gear, and if it corrodes then
its no great shakes. But that just feels wrong.

What do folks recommend?

--riverman

You don't indicate what you'll be going after, and salt varies in "strength"
requirements for reels even more than fresh. Generally, the advice given thus
far seems to miss or at least gloss over the two distinct requirements of
sal****er gear: corrosion resistance and "strength" of the gear. You seemingly
correctly realize corrosion resistance is always a factor. But as to
"strength," bones can make reel-smoking runs that could (and likely would) be an
instant problem with, say, a "whatever-Mart" reel and make it an obviously
inappropriate choice. But if even if the reel had been fished for weeks in
salt, but maintained appropriately, the corrosion factor would have been all but
eliminated. OTOH, the construction of an old Pflueger Medalist 1496 1/2 _can_
be used for bones and easily handle things like smaller tarpon (yes, it can, but
obviously, not a "go-to" choice"), but if not maintained, the corrosion factor
could ruin it. What does this mean to you? Well, you're going to have to make
some decisions. Salt FFing _can_ get expensive if you want "designed and made
for salt" gear and you're going to have to decide just how much you wish to
spend for what will become a diminishing rate of return, "strength"-wise, versus
how much you are willing to spend, time-wise, to maintain your tackle and how
much you're willing to risk that gear.

As to rods, it is just like fresh - whatdaya after and whatdaya like? Unlike
much of freshwater fishing, the reel can be more important than the rod, but
either way, it's pretty much a YMMV thing.

If it were me, and I were after truly reel-stressing quarry, I'd try to find
used the smallest Billy Pate reasonable to the quarry (a pair of them and two
rods if it's "once-in-a-lifetime" fishing, or, if going for bones or similar,
two that size-overlapped - a Salmon and a Tarpon) and whatever rod that you
like, appropriately-sized, and maintain my tackle daily.

HTH (Ha-gow Tzatziki...HUZZAH!, or, in the alternative, Hope This Helps),
Old March 9th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Mike Connor

"riverman" wrote in message
SNIP
What do folks recommend?

--riverman

For a reel, the Okuma Airframe is hard to beat for light /medium SW fishing.
Cheap, corrosion proof, light ( Carbon fibre), and extremely reliable. You
wont be fishing for tuna I suppose? You may need to use Gelspun backing, in
order to get reasonable capacity. Thirty to thirty five feet of AFTM #12
line ( the front of a cheap DT) as a head, will set you up for most
situations. A floater, and an intermediate are most useful.
Bonefish, or heavy tarpon and the like will probably blow this reel
up pretty quickly, but it is cheap enough.

If you are after big game fish, then you need a completely different
class of gear, and it is very expensive. Reels like Pate, and Tibor
are then essential. Better to rent it and see what you like before
investing that much money.

If you are just after normal sal****er fish, mostly from the shore, etc
practically any medium to stiff action rod in the 9´6" to 10´ ( You are
a fairly big guy, so the ten footer should not be a problem) AFTM 7...9
will cover most bases. You can buy these cheap enough, almost anywhere.
Avoid reel seats with wooden spacers and the like, also those with aluminium
and other metal ( they tend to "Bind" when coated in salt). Go for plastic.
Fuji´s are about the best. Get an uplocking reel-seat, and if you can, get a
rod with an extension butt, ( detachable "fighting" butt), this can be
useful. Single foot rings are my preference.

You still have to wash the gear off in freshwater after every trip.

Avoid the brand names, they are all rather too expensive. Go for a "no-name"
Chinese, or Taiwanese rod. These are generally good quality, ( often direct
rip-offs of major brand names). and cheap enough. There are plenty of such
available in Hong Kong.

Don´t spend much money on the stuff. Use the cheap gear first, and see how
you get on with it. You may never have to change!

TL
MC

Old March 9th, 2005, 06:34 AM
B J Conner

Good call. In Hong Kong on nearby he can probably buy a half dozen for what
one of the above cost. Hong Kong is still supposed to be the place to buy
things. A lot of the reels I have looked at unless there price $300 + are
made in China anyway.