Fly line help

Old March 26th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Dwight Greiner

Default Fly line help

How do I tell what end of a wf goes on the reel first???
I have Redington and a Scientific Anglers.
Thanks for any help.

Old March 26th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Mike Connor

"Dwight Greiner" wrote in message
How do I tell what end of a wf goes on the reel first???
I have Redington and a Scientific Anglers.
Thanks for any help.

A WF consists of a head tapered at both ends, and running line. The head is
thicker than the running line. The running line is attached to the reel
end. Normally you can tell which is the thick end, merely by looking at it.
Run a few yards of line off the spool, and look at it.

More info here;
http://www.cortlandline.com/technical/tech-general.html

http://www.associatedinternet.com/fl...g101/equip.htm

TL
MC

Old March 26th, 2005, 04:07 PM
rw

Dwight Greiner wrote:
How do I tell what end of a wf goes on the reel first???
I have Redington and a Scientific Anglers.
Thanks for any help.

It's the long, thin end, and it should come off the spool that way if
the line is new.

Old March 29th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Bill Kiene

Dwight,

If you have a micrometer just measure the line diameter at about 15 feet in
from both ends.

Put the smaller diameter to the backing.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

Old March 30th, 2005, 08:21 AM
chas

"Bill Kiene" wrote:
Dwight,

If you have a micrometer just measure the line diameter at about 15 feet in
from both ends.

Put the smaller diameter to the backing.

--
Bill Kiene

Those of us without a micrometer can do it with a regular ruler and a pencil.
Just wrap the line around thge pencil in 20 neat close wraps and measure the
width if that section. Then wrap the other part of the line 20 times and
measure it. The difference will be multiplied 20 times, and easy to measure
with a ruler.

Chas
remove fly fish to e mail directly

Old March 30th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Peter A. Collin

chas wrote:
"Bill Kiene" wrote:

Dwight,

If you have a micrometer just measure the line diameter at about 15 feet in

from both ends.

Put the smaller diameter to the backing.

--
Bill Kiene

Those of us without a micrometer can do it with a regular ruler and a pencil.
Just wrap the line around thge pencil in 20 neat close wraps and measure the
width if that section. Then wrap the other part of the line 20 times and
measure it. The difference will be multiplied 20 times, and easy to measure
with a ruler.

Chas
remove fly fish to e mail directly

I don't know about the rest of you, but the difference is pretty obvious
to the naked eyeball.
Old March 30th, 2005, 03:19 PM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:33:57 GMT, "Peter A. Collin"
wrote:

chas wrote:
"Bill Kiene" wrote:

Dwight,

If you have a micrometer just measure the line diameter at about 15 feet in

from both ends.

Put the smaller diameter to the backing.

--
Bill Kiene

Those of us without a micrometer can do it with a regular ruler and a pencil.
Just wrap the line around thge pencil in 20 neat close wraps and measure the
width if that section. Then wrap the other part of the line 20 times and
measure it. The difference will be multiplied 20 times, and easy to measure
with a ruler.

Chas
remove fly fish to e mail directly

I don't know about the rest of you, but the difference is pretty obvious
to the naked eyeball.

And if you can't tell just by looking, hold a needle, shirt/dress pin,
paper clip, or some other handy (small-diameter) thing next to both ends
for reference.

HTH,
Old March 30th, 2005, 04:18 PM
rw

chas wrote:
"Bill Kiene" wrote:

Dwight,

If you have a micrometer just measure the line diameter at about 15 feet in

from both ends.

Put the smaller diameter to the backing.

--
Bill Kiene

Those of us without a micrometer can do it with a regular ruler and a pencil.
Just wrap the line around thge pencil in 20 neat close wraps and measure the
width if that section. Then wrap the other part of the line 20 times and
measure it. The difference will be multiplied 20 times, and easy to measure
with a ruler.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't it completely obvious which
end is running line and which end is tapered, just by looking at them
and without and measuring device at all?

BTW, that a clever trick, Chas.

Old March 30th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Tim J.

rw wrote:
chas wrote:
"Bill Kiene" wrote:

Dwight,

If you have a micrometer just measure the line diameter at about 15
feet in

from both ends.

Put the smaller diameter to the backing.

--
Bill Kiene

Those of us without a micrometer can do it with a regular ruler and
a pencil. Just wrap the line around thge pencil in 20 neat close
wraps and measure the width if that section. Then wrap the other
part of the line 20 times and measure it. The difference will be
multiplied 20 times, and easy to measure with a ruler.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't it completely obvious
which end is running line and which end is tapered, just by looking
at them and without and measuring device at all?

Damnit! During this entire discussion I was left with the impression I
was the only one who had super-human powers. Now that you and Peter have
outted, that theory is gone. How about this riddle: Which end of the DT
line goes on the reel?
--
TL,
Tim