Catfishing in Mississippi

Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:10 PM
Jeff

Default Catfishing in Mississippi

Hello all, new to the group. Catfish lover here. Love catching them and love
eating them. Problem is I havent had a lot of luck with the CATCHING part at
the lower Dam at Ross Barnett. I went a couple of days ago and fishing on
the bottom with night crawlers caught ten not eight inches long. Last two
time I was there the fish were all 8 inches or less. What are some of the
tricks to catching bigger cats? Thanks

Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:22 AM
Hershel Eacret

Jeff wrote:
Hello all, new to the group. Catfish lover here. Love catching them and love
eating them. Problem is I havent had a lot of luck with the CATCHING part at
the lower Dam at Ross Barnett. I went a couple of days ago and fishing on
the bottom with night crawlers caught ten not eight inches long. Last two
time I was there the fish were all 8 inches or less. What are some of the
tricks to catching bigger cats? Thanks

I would get rid of the worms and try some shad or cut bait. Skipjack is
a good bait to use. Happy Catfishing.

DwayneinBonanza
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:03 AM
Catfish

I have not fished the spillway in about 10 years. We moved and have not
been back in quite some time.

Fellows there used to use the small shad or even chicken livers wrapped in
an old pair of
pantyhose.

If you get one of the bigger rods and try to throw right below the gates BE
CAREFUL
of the wire that runs across about 5' down. It will snag you everytime.
Most of the guys used a 10' pole with a weighted slip cork on it.

Wrecker driver I used to know there caught two in one day. One was 48lbs
and the
other was 52.

Good luck. Let us know how you do.

PS. Hinds county side was always the side I fished. Never caught anything
on the
Madison side. (Never could figure that out. Same water..100 yrds across)

Jeff wrote:
Hello all, new to the group. Catfish lover here. Love catching them
and love eating them. Problem is I havent had a lot of luck with the
CATCHING part at the lower Dam at Ross Barnett. I went a couple of
days ago and fishing on the bottom with night crawlers caught ten not
eight inches long. Last two time I was there the fish were all 8
inches or less. What are some of the tricks to catching bigger cats?
Thanks

In God We Trust
And may all terrorists be returned to their
maker in more than one piece.