Flys on a Lanyard.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:47 AM
B J Conner

Default Flys on a Lanyard.

I tried putting some flys on a lanyard today and it worked pretty fare. I
have a hard time trying to change flys especially anything 16 or smaller
while wading.
I strung C&F threaders through a pill bottle and on to the lanyard. There a
couple of pictures on ABPF.
It workd pretty well I was able to put a new fly on much faster than I would
have digging out box, putting on the fly etc.
I put all pattern in one bottle so the patterns you can quick change are
limited to how many pill bottles your willing to wear around you neck ( I
used 6). I have to be careful putting the threader back in the bottle, if a
fly catches on the edge of the bottle they can all strip off.
After the first trial there are a couple of chages to make, one is to get a
pill bottle with an attached cap. and to replace the mono with a single
strand of steel leader.
The threaders work great with the small nymphs bout for the bigger drys to
work I may have to make my own threaders and use a longer bottle.
I'm also going to start on a big variation for steelhead flys, I can still
see well enough to change them and it may take a pill bottle the size of a
beer can but hopefully it will work when it's colder than whores heart and
my fingers only kinda work.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:40 AM
fish.iddx.net

I strung C&F threaders through a pill bottle and on to the lanyard. There
couple of pictures on ABPF.

What is ABPF ? Got a link?

--

Venligst, Grüsse, Regards,
Thomas Schreiber

Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:45 AM
Steve

This might help its a collection of acronymns used on ROFF

http://css.sbcma.com/timj/acronyms.htm

Many thanks to timj who has helped me manuver thru ROFF and help me to
understand what this is all about. In fact this is really awesome when
you understand what everyone is saying. I really encourage new people
to check out timj's site it is loaded with info about ROFF

http://css.sbcma.com/timj

Steve
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:14 AM
fish.iddx.net

Nice info. Allthough ROTFLMAO doesnt mean Rolling on the floor laughing my
ass off , but Rolling OVER the floor laughing my ass off

)

--

Venligst, Grüsse, Regards,
Thomas Schreiber

link.net...

Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:03 PM
Tim J.

"fish.iddx.net" wrote...
Nice info. Allthough ROTFLMAO doesnt mean Rolling on the floor laughing my
ass off , but Rolling OVER the floor laughing my ass off

GYOFAP
--
HTH ,
Tim

Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:37 PM
fish.iddx.net

GYOFAP
--
HTH ,
Tim

/Thomas

Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:40 PM
Ken Fortenberry

B J Conner wrote:
I tried putting some flys on a lanyard today and it worked pretty fare.

I believe it was Sandy Pittendrigh who posted the best idea I've heard
for carrying flies on a lanyard, and that's to use a champagne cork.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:43 PM
Salmo Bytes

"B J Conner" wrote in message ...
I tried putting some flys on a lanyard today and it worked pretty fare. I
have a hard time trying to change flys especially anything 16 or smaller
while wading.

Champaign corks as part of the lanyard help,
for making a good place to put flies.

http://montana-riverboats.com/lanyard.html
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:11 PM
B J Conner

Very good website , I tried the corks but the # 16 and 18s didn't stick
very well. I redid mine to put corks on it, the whole thing will now
float.
"Salmo Bytes" wrote in message
om...

Old May 24th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Conan The Librarian

"B J Conner" wrote in message ...

After the first trial there are a couple of chages to make, one is to get a
pill bottle with an attached cap. and to replace the mono with a single
strand of steel leader.

For my lanyard I put some of the little magnetic cards from the TMC
hook packages in an Altoid tin (adhesive backed pieces of
"bristle-tack" work nicely for this as well). I then drilled two
parallel holes in one edge of the tin and took some of the hollow
"craft lace" stuff and ran a piece of 50 lb. mono through it.
Threaded the lace/mono through the holes and tied them off, creating a
nice little loop to hang from a swivel/snap on the lanyard.

FWIW, I had bought the craft lace to make a braided lanyard like
the one on the FAOL website. Works great for that and it appears to
be the same stuff as the larger size "larva lace". So if you like
tying with that stuff and can find enough colors, you can buy it at a
craft store for $1.30 for 3 yards instead of whatever the hell
outlandish price they charge for the stuff through their company.

Chuck Vance