A perfect day

Old April 22nd, 2005, 08:07 PM
~^ beancounter ~^

nice....sounds like a fine day.....

Old April 22nd, 2005, 08:15 PM
Larry L

"Mark Tinsky" wrote

I got him in measured him against my net and released. I big male
with a hooked jaw and lots of teeth. A fine ending for a great day on
the river.

Cool

I'm cleaning out and starting to pack the trailer for the summer and the Mo
is on the agenda.

I'd like to be there and/or Dillon right now, but haven't been able to get
caught up on 'real world' concerns to get away. I've been watching your
weather and it looks like 'baetis weather' defined lately, I've been
drooling. I just this minute sold a dog, one of my 'real world' things that
needed attention, maybe I'll get back there for early season yet .... but
it's more likely to be about June 1st on the Firehole that I really start my
fishing season ( I've been out a few times here in Arnoldland, but I don't
count that :-)

Old April 22nd, 2005, 08:45 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Mark Tinsky wrote:

... I big male
with a hooked jaw and lots of teeth.

Me Ken, heap big male with capped teeth and reading glasses. ;-)

Nice TR, thanks. I wonder why a big brown would have a hooked
jaw in the spring ?

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old April 22nd, 2005, 08:48 PM
Mark Tinsky

Default A perfect day

This isn t a TR or about how many and how big. Yesterday I went up
to the Mo. Their were heavy overcast clouds which floated around snow
capped mountains and cliffs. Not too cold and best of all ,there was
no wind !!

I timed the hatch well and was on the water around two. At times the
water was carpeted with 16-20 BWO s an incredible sight. The trout
weren t exactly on them and I think for the most part are attending to
"other" business in the local tribs. With most of the trout gone
the whiteys were in their ascendency and haveing a great time,
podding up and slashing the water. Kind of fun to watch , not so much
fun to catch . I popped and lost lens out of my prescription glasses
trying to wrestle a hook out of one of the squirmy buggers.

So the name of the game was to find some trout. I went up river
where the white fish tend to avoid as it s colder or more current or
who know s why . By this time it was around 6 and therre was a nice
hatch of midges on the water too. I stuck with my 16 olive tho. What I
saw were single occasional rises which I rightly took to be trout. A
lot on the bank, upstream of me.

And this is what made it a perfect day... sneaking up on these bank
feeders, throwing upstream casts , hugging the bank with good
execution and results. Usually there s too much wind to do this and
you slap the water or can t throw into the feeding lane or many other
wind associated problems that are beyond my casting abilities to
control.

OK, Ok . One fish story. I was coming back down the bank to the car .
It was pretty much over. I was still scanning the water and saw in
perfectly dead water off a foam line a little dimple. I quietly waded
out thru a parachute cast so fly had lots of slack into the current
above the foam line. The fly drifted into the dead water and
stopped. I watched waited about 15 seconds and again the little
dimple under my fly. I gently lifted and all hell breaks loose as
what would turn out to be a 21 1/2 inch brown took off into the
river. No jumps for this old boy! He just headed out into my
backing.....

I got him in measured him against my net and released. I big male
with a hooked jaw and lots of teeth. A fine ending for a great day on
the river.
MT
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:11 PM
Mark Tinsky

In article , Ken
Fortenberry wrote:

Mark Tinsky wrote:

... I big male
with a hooked jaw and lots of teeth.

Me Ken, heap big male with capped teeth and reading glasses. ;-)

Nice TR, thanks. I wonder why a big brown would have a hooked
jaw in the spring ?

Dont know but t was an old fish, A little beat up. He made one good
run but after that came in pretty easily.

MT
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:13 PM
Mark Tinsky

In article ,
"Larry L" wrote:

[...]

Certainly have had some overcast days but its been so damn windy
that you haven t really missed much right around here. I ve been out
twice since Dec. Too cold until early feb but since then it s
mostly becuase of the wind. But better days are ahead for all of us.
Give me a yell when you re up this way MT
Old April 26th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Mike Makela

"Mark Tinsky" wrote in message
[...]

Love a story with a good ending..nice TR

Mike