hatch caught on doppler

Old July 6th, 2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default hatch caught on doppler

i stumbled across this on another board. good oppurtunity for a match the
hatch trip.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crnews/displ...=2952&source=0

Old July 6th, 2006, 03:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 01:50:25 GMT, "Benjamin Turek" wrote:

i stumbled across this on another board. good oppurtunity for a match the
hatch trip.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crnews/displ...=2952&source=0

ahahahahahahahahaha! Yeah, like that one imitation at the end of a flyline
would have an odds-on chance of even being noticed in the midst of that
enormous storm of bugs ;-)

/daytripper (I think I'd go with a deer hair mouse...and pray a lot ;-)
Old July 6th, 2006, 05:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

true, but it should provide ample opportunity to find a proper match. could
anyone tell me what this hatch is. this radar image is from LaCrosse, WI on
June 30. i've seen some decent hatches, but nothing that would come close
to this.

Ben

Old July 6th, 2006, 01:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"GM" wrote in message ...
"Benjamin Turek" wrote in

true, but it should provide ample opportunity to find a proper
match. could anyone tell me what this hatch is. this radar image
is from LaCrosse, WI on June 30. i've seen some decent hatches,
but nothing that would come close to this.

It would have to be a White Fly hatch. The time of day is right and the
overwhelming number correlate. Anyone know for sure?

Hexagenia limbata sounds like a better bet to me. I've never seen them that
thick myself, but there are persistent stories of hatches so heavy that
snowplows or fire hoses are required to remove them from roads. Backwaters
on the Mississippi River provide plenty of ideal habitat (the nymphs burrow
in silt), the time of year is right, and the time of day is right.

Wolfgang

Old July 6th, 2006, 03:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Hexagenia limbata sounds like a better bet to me.

Yeah, a friend also emailed me the same info. A bit too early for the
White Fly hatch.

According to this story, it would be the Hex hatch:
http://www.winonadailynews.com/artic...ews/1news1.txt

Frank Reid

Old July 6th, 2006, 05:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Wolfgang" wrote in message news:...
Hexagenia limbata sounds like a better bet to me. I've never seen them
that thick myself, but there are persistent stories of hatches so heavy
that snowplows or fire hoses are required to remove them from roads.
Backwaters on the Mississippi River provide plenty of ideal habitat (the
nymphs burrow in silt), the time of year is right, and the time of day is
right.

Wolfgang

I was up at Maumee Bay several years back, the hatch was so thick it would
stop traffic due to the fact that if you tried to drive through a cloud of
Hex it would smear the windshield instantly.
It was truly amazing. I had never seen anything like it. EVERYTHING was
covered. You could not take a step without crushing 8-9 per step. The trees
took on a new color from being covered, buildings, EVERYTHING. At first it
was neat, then annoying as you were constantly covered in bugs, but it got
to the point that as long as they stayed out of your mouth and off your eyes
you didn't even bother to pick them off of you anymore. I loved it. From
what I heard at the campground you couldn't catch a fish to save your life,
this being understandable, those fish surely had themselves stuffed to the
gills by day 2 of the hatch. For a couple years after I was still
occasionally finding dead mayflies in the camper. I will never forget it.