First Fly Rod Combo for youth

Old November 7th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Eddie_C

Default First Fly Rod Combo for youth

Hi:

I am looking for a first fly-rod for my 10 year old. I'd appreciate
any advice on hardware as well as advice on how to teach.

I suspect that a 7 and 1/2 foot 5-weight is the way to go. I will
probably get the cheapest reel. Woulod a slow action rod or medium
action be best?

Cabela's is sold out of their youth combo which is only $99 or I'd
probablt get that.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Ed
Old November 8th, 2004, 02:16 AM
vincent p. norris

I suspect that a 7 and 1/2 foot 5-weight is the way to go.

Cortland makes a kid's set like that, with rod, reel, and line.

Sorry, don't kow the exact price, but it's not expensive.

vince

Old November 8th, 2004, 11:10 PM
al

I teach kids during a summer fly fishing camp. They all cast my 6wt 9ft
Scientific Angler rod like champs after a few minutes of demonstration and
practice. I think it goes for + or - $80 at Wal Mart.

The longer the rod, the easier it is to feel the "load" of energy and then
time the forward cast.

Here's some pics of the class from this summer:

http://www.fishwithafly.net/summercamp2004.htm

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
(Eddie_C) wrote in
om:

Hi:

I am looking for a first fly-rod for my 10 year old. I'd appreciate
any advice on hardware as well as advice on how to teach.

I suspect that a 7 and 1/2 foot 5-weight is the way to go. I will
probably get the cheapest reel. Woulod a slow action rod or medium
action be best?

Cabela's is sold out of their youth combo which is only $99 or I'd
probablt get that.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Ed

I wouldn't skimp on length. Eight feet would be my minimum.

Scott

Old November 9th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Big Dale

"al" wrote:I teach kids during a summer fly fishing camp.
They all cast my 6wt 9ft
Scientific Angler rod like champs after a few minutes of demonstration and
practice. I think it goes for + or - $80 at Wal Mart.

The longer the rod, the easier it is to feel the "load" of energy and then
time the forward cast.

Here's some pics of the class from this summer:

http://www.fishwithafly.net/summercamp2004.htm
I sure did enjoy the pictures of the kids learning to tie flies. Teaching kids
to tie flies is a hell of a lot of fun. I spent several hours this past weekend
at Rendezvous teaching two of friend Kyle's kids to tie flies That little 7
year old girl has a great natural ability and was a very good coach for her 5
year old little brother.

I would look at a rod that has a lifetime warrenty for a first rod for kids. I
think we all break at least one rod. ( How is that for understatement?) The
Temple Fork Outfitters rods start at 90 bucks for a 2 piece rod.

Big Dale
Old November 9th, 2004, 09:13 PM
al

I broke that SA 6wt and they replaced it. It broke at the ferule furing a
cast. I think it didn't like the cone head zonker and double haul
combo...The warranty is the way to go.

Thanks for the compliment. Hopefully next summer the "advanced class" will
have some fish to show...

Kids that follow directions do really well tying flies...and they like the
"arts and crafts" feel to it.

Good luck!