Rod advice needed.

Old June 17th, 2004, 11:03 AM
neil@***REMOVEME***thecoldricks.co.uk

Default Rod advice needed.

Hi all

I am about to go sea fishing soon and need some advice on what sort of
rod to go for. I will be mainly fishing from rocks and beaches in
North Wales, probably float and lure. What would be the best sort of
rod to go for given these requirements?

Cheers

Neil
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Tony Wickham

I find that a Carp rod does the trick most of the time, especially for
spinning as they're nice and whippy for longer casting. It might not be
strong enough though if you need to lift (biggish) fish out of the water
for any distance, such as from high rocky ledges.

Keep the tackle light (5lb line, max 1oz lure) and you'll enjoy the sport
more. Even catching mackerel gets quite exciting!

Old June 17th, 2004, 01:04 PM
neil@***REMOVEME***thecoldricks.co.uk

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:00:11 +0100, "Tony Wickham"
wrote:

Hi
Thanks for your replies

I find that a Carp rod does the trick most of the time, especially for
spinning as they're nice and whippy for longer casting. It might not be
strong enough though if you need to lift (biggish) fish out of the water
for any distance, such as from high rocky ledges.

What test curve rod would you suggest?

Keep the tackle light (5lb line, max 1oz lure) and you'll enjoy the sport
more. Even catching mackerel gets quite exciting!

I hope to catch anything to be honest so catching mackerel would be
very exciting to me !!!

Cheers

Neil

Old June 17th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Antony Wills

Try a bass rod, has a multitude of uses. the Shakespeare odessa bass is very
good.

Old June 27th, 2004, 11:25 PM
Derek

wrote in message
Hi all

I am about to go sea fishing soon and need some advice on what sort of
rod to go for. I will be mainly fishing from rocks and beaches in
North Wales, probably float and lure. What would be the best sort of
rod to go for given these requirements?

Cheers

Neil

I used to use my carp rod but this year I sprung for a pair of bass rods
(One for me and one for my partner) although we had no luck this weekend
( aside from an odd crab and a dab) they were a big improvement casting wise
a carp rod can only cope with a couple of oz at best where the bass rod is
good for about 4oz so we were well out into the back of the surf if as I
suspect you are local to manchester Decathlon have some deals going (rod +
reel) although I got ours from NWAC at hindley green for £30
http://www.nwac.co.uk/acatalog/Beach...eel_Deals.html
Derek

---

Old June 29th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Paul

I use a Fladen Power Stick, I bought it from the tackle shop in Treaddur Bay
on Anglesey for £40 with a reel, it does the job well, especially for longer
casting.
Hope this helps,
Paul