Strangest Bait ?

Old December 29th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Joshuall

Default Strangest Bait ?

What's the strangest bait yall have intentionally caught bass on? Last year
I had my son and grand son in the boat, we were fishing for bass and ran out
of night crawlers (only use them when the lil one's with us) and we ran out.
Took out a bag of Cheetos ... put one on a hook with a slip bobber and ....
BAM... we caught a nice two pounder for em lol lol.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old December 29th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Joshuall" wrote in message
What's the strangest bait yall have intentionally caught bass on? Last
year I had my son and grand son in the boat, we were fishing for bass and
ran out of night crawlers (only use them when the lil one's with us) and
we ran out. Took out a bag of Cheetos ... put one on a hook with a slip
bobber and .... BAM... we caught a nice two pounder for em lol lol.

Personally, I haven't used anything strange for catching bass, but Gil had a
couple of clients last season that did while he guided them.

They were out for smallmouth bass and he had been catching them on
pumpkinseed tube jigs. That particular day however, the bass were not
cooperating very well until the client, without Gil's knowledge changed
lures. He tied on a standard worm hook and was catching smallies right and
left using raspberry flavored Gummi-Worms!

Gil tried using some small soft plastics in a similar color, but evidently
the smallies wanted something sweet that day.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old December 30th, 2004, 12:24 AM
John Kerr

I once wrapped some tin foil around a hook, left some trailers sticking
out behind. Jigged it up and down in a brush pile.....Nice 1 pounder
liked it....only thing, it was a crappie! grin

Old December 30th, 2004, 02:51 AM
alwaysfishking

Cheetoes worked for me too a few times at a small lake here with the kids

French Fries also worked same lake

Cookie dough

Dave V caught a fish there on a Cigarette butt

Old December 30th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Bob Rickard

I once fished a bait almost as strange as the mood I was in that day: I was
getting totally skunked on a wild Ozark stream (absolutely loaded with
fish). The fish were gorged with locusts, and I was desperate to catch at
least one. I noticed & caught a small water snake on a gravel bar
(non-poisonous, I believe), impaled it on a huge limb-line hook that was
laying in bottom of the jon boat we were renting, and made believe it was a
weird buzz bait in hopes of a reaction strike. Nothing!

Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)
www.secretweaponlures.com
--------------------------=x O')))

Old December 30th, 2004, 03:21 AM
RichZ

Joshuall wrote:
What's the strangest bait yall have intentionally caught bass on? Last year
I had my son and grand son in the boat, we were fishing for bass and ran out
of night crawlers (only use them when the lil one's with us) and we ran out.
Took out a bag of Cheetos ... put one on a hook with a slip bobber and ....
BAM... we caught a nice two pounder for em lol lol.

I once caught a limit of fish on -- I know no-one will believe me, but I
swear it's true -- on a CRANKBAIT. Honestly. A crankbait of all things!
I mean REALLY, now, who would have ever suspected fish could ever be
stupid enough to hit one of those things?
Old December 31st, 2004, 04:59 AM
Rob Storm

Back when pop tops first appeared on beer cans, they weren't attached as they
are now, but pulled free when you opened your beer. I was a poor college
student who couldn't afford to buy lures, so I used to bore a hole in one end
of the pop top and attach a split ring and treble hook. I tied my line to the
ring on the other end. It was too light to cast with a spinning rod, but with
a fly rod you could get it out 30 feet, then twitch it back. The action of
that light aluminum was hard for fish to resist. i caught lots of bream, a few
bass and a channel cat or two, before the can makers wised up and came up with
the pull tab system we have now.

Family, Friends, Fishing,
Rob Storm
http://stormsrestaurants.com
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Calif Bill

"Rob Storm" wrote in message
[...]

Government made them change. Drinkers would pull the tab and drop it in the
can, and then swallow the tab while drinking.
Bill