Going to Jackson Hole 2nd week of May....

Old April 7th, 2008, 06:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
egildone

Default Going to Jackson Hole 2nd week of May....

I am planning a vacation in Early May heading for Jackson Hole and
Yellowstone from Oklahoma City. I don't think I can afford a guide.
Can you roffers give me some advice on where to fish for trout. I have
a 5wt fly rod and also a 2wt. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ed
Old April 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

egildone wrote:
I am planning a vacation in Early May heading for Jackson Hole and
Yellowstone from Oklahoma City. I don't think I can afford a guide. Can
you roffers give me some advice on where to fish for trout. I have a
5wt fly rod and also a 2wt. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The Yellowstone fishing season opens on the Saturday of
Memorial Day Weekend. This year that's May 24th.

You're going to be there at precisely the wrong time to
fly fish for trout.

Sorry.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old April 7th, 2008, 06:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Halfordian Golfer

On Apr 7, 12:45 pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
egildone wrote:
I am planning a vacation in Early May heading for Jackson Hole and
Yellowstone from Oklahoma City. I don't think I can afford a guide. Can
you roffers give me some advice on where to fish for trout. I have a
5wt fly rod and also a 2wt. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The Yellowstone fishing season opens on the Saturday of
Memorial Day Weekend. This year that's May 24th.

You're going to be there at precisely the wrong time to
fly fish for trout.

Sorry.

--
Ken Fortenberry

There's *useful* information in alt.flyfishing.

TBone
Old April 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Halfordian Golfer wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
egildone wrote:
I am planning a vacation in Early May heading for Jackson Hole and
Yellowstone from Oklahoma City. I don't think I can afford a guide. Can
you roffers give me some advice on where to fish for trout. I have a
5wt fly rod and also a 2wt. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The Yellowstone fishing season opens on the Saturday of
Memorial Day Weekend. This year that's May 24th.

You're going to be there at precisely the wrong time to
fly fish for trout.

Sorry.

There's *useful* information in alt.flyfishing.

What kind of information ? How to dodge Park Rangers and fish
out of season ? Or perhaps and essay titled "Runoff Is Really
Your Friend" ?

And the last time I looked at alt.flyfishing it was populated
solely by yourself and a guy from Germany who doesn't know ****
from shinola about fishing in North America.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Charlie Choc

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 12:32:59 -0500, egildone
wrote:

I am planning a vacation in Early May heading for Jackson Hole and
Yellowstone from Oklahoma City. I don't think I can afford a guide.
Can you roffers give me some advice on where to fish for trout. I have
a 5wt fly rod and also a 2wt. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sign up for the weekly newsletter at
http://www.blueribbonflies.com/journ...ngreport.shtml for reports on
fishing around Yellowstone. There's a lot of snow out there this year and some
of the roads in the park will probably still be closed, but you won't be able to
fish in there anyway. Go into the fly shop next to Bubba's in Jackson for local
conditions around there.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Halfordian Golfer

On Apr 7, 12:55 pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Halfordian Golfer wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
egildone wrote:
[...]

Referring to the thread about Twin Bridges from my Sister who lives on
the border of wyoming and idaho and who has one of the top guides out
of Jackson Hole as a son-in-law. Not sure if it's useful or not but,
to suggest May is not a good time for trout in Wyoming is just
ludicrous.

TBone
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Halfordian Golfer wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Halfordian Golfer wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
egildone wrote:
[...]

OK then, my bad. Anyone who wants to fish around Yellowstone
during the second week of May should check out alt.flyfishing.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dph

Go to the North entrance of the park, and check with the folks @ Parks Fly
shop. You will find Richard Parks, the owner, to be a wealth of information,
and I have found him to be quite willing to share his knowledge. He is in
Gardiner, about a stones throw from the entrance to the park. He cooks up a
mean flotant as well.

Old April 14th, 2008, 11:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
MajorOz

http://www.blueribbonflies.com/journ...eport.shtmlfor reports on
fishing around Yellowstone. There's a lot of snow out there this year and
some
of the roads in the park will probably still be closed, but you won't be
able to
fish in there anyway. Go into the fly shop next to Bubba's in Jackson for
local
conditions around there.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

There are many small streams and ponds along the road (trail,
actually, that may not be snow free) from just outside the south gate
to Jellystone to Ashton ID. No tourists, no ATV's and almost all NF.

cheers

oz, but watch for bears
Old April 15th, 2008, 03:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
hayseed[_2_]

wrote:
I am planning a vacation in Early May heading for Jackson Hole and
Yellowstone from Oklahoma City. I don't think I can afford a guide.
Can you roffers give me some advice on where to fish for trout.

Please be aware of the stream fishing seasons in Idaho and Montana: Most
stream fishing starts in May 17th (MT) or 24th (ID). Wyoming is open
year 'round with some special waters closed until March 31st. The
fishing in the park generally starts on the last Saturday in May.

Check with the local shops before you pack your bags and have fun!

See: http://www.parksflyshop.com/fishingreport.htm

Cheers,
-Bob