ON TOPIC: Pembroke Coast, Wales advise?

Old October 29th, 2008, 05:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

Default ON TOPIC: Pembroke Coast, Wales advise?

Wifey nodded her head at a conservation fund raiser auction and now Im
spending 2 weeks next June in a cottage N. of Cartigan ("Tresaith"
Sp?) with our clan. Fishing suggestions salt and fresh welcomed.

Old October 29th, 2008, 05:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:14:54 -0700 (PDT), DaveS
wrote:

Wifey nodded her head at a conservation fund raiser auction and now Im
spending 2 weeks next June in a cottage N. of Cartigan ("Tresaith"
Sp?) with our clan. Fishing suggestions salt and fresh welcomed.

Dave

Try sorting. May help.

The Other Dave

Old October 29th, 2008, 05:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

wrote:

Wifey nodded her head at a conservation fund raiser auction and now Im
spending 2 weeks next June in a cottage N. of Cartigan ("Tresaith"
Sp?) with our clan. Fishing suggestions salt and fresh welcomed.

Dave

Try sorting. *May help.

The Other Dave

I think Sorting is much further up the coast, near Kissmyassing. :-)
The Pacific Dave
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

wrote:

Wifey nodded her head at a conservation fund raiser auction and now Im
spending 2 weeks next June in a cottage N. of Cartigan ("Tresaith"
Sp?) with our clan. Fishing suggestions salt and fresh welcomed.

Dave

Try sorting. *May help.

The Other Dave

I think Sorting is much further up the coast, near Kissmyassing. :-)
The Pacific Dave

LOL. Ping our one and only Welchman, Bill Grey.

The Right Dave

Old October 31st, 2008, 10:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Gordon MacPherson

"DaveS" wrote in message
Wifey nodded her head at a conservation fund raiser auction and now Im
spending 2 weeks next June in a cottage N. of Cartigan ("Tresaith"
Sp?) with our clan. Fishing suggestions salt and fresh welcomed.

Dave

R. Teifi which enters sea near Cardigan is a famous sea trout (sewin) river.
My son and I nearly caught one a couple of years ago. I think there is
association water which will sell tickets.
http://www.fishing-in-wales.com/
http://www.teifitrout.com/

On the coast there is good fishing off the rocks for pollock -mainly by
spinning, and chance of a sea bass. There are dedicated salt-water FFers in
the UK - website is very useful:
http://www.ukswff.co.uk/

Good luck - let me know if you need more info - my son is a dedicated sea
fisher.

Gordon

Old November 1st, 2008, 08:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Nogood Boyo[_2_]

On Oct 29, 5:41*pm, Dave LaCourse wrote:
[...]
LOL. *Ping our one and only Welchman, Bill Grey.

Others lurk occasionally... :-)

--
Nogood Boyo
Old November 1st, 2008, 09:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Nogood Boyo[_2_]

On Oct 29, 5:14*pm, DaveS wrote:
Wifey nodded her head at a conservation fund raiser auction and now Im
spending 2 weeks next June in a cottage N. of Cartigan ("Tresaith"
Sp?) with our clan. Fishing suggestions salt and fresh welcomed.

Dave

You're a lucky man - it's a great area - fantastic coastline with
rocky cliffs, sandy beaches and lovely countryside.

As Gordon says, the River Teifi (pronounced tie-vee), a good
(atlantic) salmon and sea trout river, isn't far away - plenty of
accessible fishing within 10 miles. Another, a bit further away (25
miles), is the River Tywi (tow-ee) - possibly the best sea trout river
in Europe. There are also other smaller rivers in the area. June is
a good month for sea trout (called sewin locally) - sea-going brown
trout, our version of the steelhead. Fly fishing by night is the
normal method, except in a spate when it's spinning or fly in the
daytime. Most of the fishing is controlled by angling associations
and if you do your research in advance you should get on a good
stretch without spending much. Gordon's given you some good links.
Another good one is www.fishing.visitwales.com.

If you want to catch sea trout at night, you need to know the river,
so it would be advisable to find a guide in advance. A serious
flyfisher really shouldn't visit this area without seeking out the sea
trout... :-)

--
Nogood Boyo

Old November 1st, 2008, 10:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Nogood Boyo[_2_]

On 1 Nov, 21:09, Nogood Boyo wrote:
On Oct 29, 5:14*pm, DaveS wrote:

Wifey nodded her head at a conservation fund raiser auction and now Im
spending 2 weeks next June in a cottage N. of Cartigan ("Tresaith"
Sp?) with our clan. Fishing suggestions salt and fresh welcomed.

Dave

You're a lucky man - it's a great area - fantastic coastline with
rocky cliffs, sandy beaches and lovely countryside.

[...]

You might find this useful:

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswe...elsh_guide.pdf

Tresaith gets a mention on page 1. If you'd like a large scale map of
the area, let me know.

--
Nogood Boyo
Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Oct 31, 2:32*am, "Gordon MacPherson"
wrote:
SNIP

Gordan
Thank you. These sites lay it all out. Looks like Ive some research to
do. Im looking forward to this trip, the coast walking, the trains and
with any luck, the fishing.

Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Nov 1, 2:23*pm, Nogood Boyo wrote:
SNIP

Thanks for the advice. Ive got a friend picking me up an ordnance map
to study. Any suggestions for flies? Dave