Looking for Boat Suggestions

Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:19 PM
Bill H.

Default Looking for Boat Suggestions

I fish a lot of small ponds, anywhere from 1 to 6 acres in size, and I would
like a boat that will fit in the back of my truck and that is easy to get
into and out of the water. I plan to use a trolling motor for power. I was
thinking about a jon boat, but also like the small pontoon boats.

Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:22 PM
Bob La Londe

A jon boat is not a bad option. I have a bigger one, and I like it a lot,
but if I only fished small pinds I'ld probably go for something like this.

http://tinyurl.com/4xnd7

P.S. There is a jon boats only section on the forums on my website.
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:36 PM
bill a

hard to beat the ratio of weight/capacity of a jonboat.
also, with the flat front end, when you beach the boat, the hull is stable
when you walk out over the bow.
hth
bill

Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:51 PM
Chris Rennert

Bill H. wrote:
I fish a lot of small ponds, anywhere from 1 to 6 acres in size, and I would
like a boat that will fit in the back of my truck and that is easy to get
into and out of the water. I plan to use a trolling motor for power. I was
thinking about a jon boat, but also like the small pontoon boats.

Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

Bill,

I did just what you are wanting to do for about 4 years. I had a small
12' Jon boat that fit in the bed of my pickup. I used a 24lb thrust
transom mount trolling motor on it. It was perfect for those lakes, and
I could fish all day with the battery I had (Unless it got really windy,
and I had to fight it all day). The boat was really light, and I had to
put a lot of weight on the opposite end of the boat from where I was
fishing, I usually used my wife :-).

Good luck,

Chris
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Chris Rennert" wrote in message SNIP

I had to put a lot of weight on the opposite end of the boat from where I
was fishing, I usually used my wife :-).

Oooooh, what's it worth to you not to have me repeat that to your wife????
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old April 4th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Chris Rennert

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:
"Chris Rennert" wrote in message SNIP

I had to put a lot of weight on the opposite end of the boat from where I
was fishing, I usually used my wife :-).

Oooooh, what's it worth to you not to have me repeat that to your wife????

hahaha, I didn't even read it like that ...hahahaha!.. You know her, she
is only like 110lbs :-), but a good counter balance :-)

Chris
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:03 AM
RogerN

My neighbor used a canoe that he would put on top of his car and take to
lakes and strip cuts. Just a canoe, paddle, and fishing gear, pretty
economical and simple. Most people say a canoe tips over too easy, I guess
this is true but my neighbor never had any problem with it. Also, local
Rural Kings are selling those little 1 man pontoon boats for around $150.
They also have the little 2-man bass boats for around $400 or so.

http://ruralking.com

Old April 4th, 2005, 02:57 PM
RichG

I just tried a kayak out on Saturday. It was far more stable than I
previously thought, once you are used to it.

I didn't fish out of it, but "sit on top" kayaks are BIG for fishing the
shallow flats here in SW Texas. There is a web site
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/ on which EVERYONE uses kayaks for
fishing, They even use them to get the big baits out into the SURF for
sharks and big reds. Might be a consideration. RichG TX
--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Old April 4th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Bob La Londe

A canoe isn't too bad, but if there is any breeze you will spend all your
time repositioning and very little fishing.

One suggestion in shallow water is to create a vertical pole lock of some
kind and carry a ten foot piece of pipe in the boat. Just slide it downt he
pole lock and stick it in the bottom. Of course a small anchor will help
too.

k.net...