??? Attracting Minnows ???

Old June 14th, 2004, 01:20 AM
David H. Lipman

Default ??? Attracting Minnows ???

Have you tried a frozen block of Tubifex Worms ?

Dave

Old July 25th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Big John

I must agree. Saltine Crackers work. That must be why they are putting salt
on a lot of the fishing soft plastic baits these days. I know that the new
Bass Pro Shops Squirmin Squirts have salt on them and they help me catch
more crappie. So if the salt works on crappie then it should work on minnow
also.

" hillbilly3302" wrote in message
I find just old saltine crackers hard to beat in a wire minnow trap....

--
drc
Table Rock Lake

catfood, oatmeal works well in traps

Old July 25th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Big John

LOL Rickard:
I have a glass minnow trap that is very similar to that one you wrote about.
This allows me to use cracker crumbs and have them stay INSIDE my minnow
trap. The wire type minnow cages may allow the cracker crumbs or the fish
food to escape though the wire mess's holes.

I used my minnow trap along the shoreline and near a concrete boat ramp for
a few hours and caught a few small bluegills but not minnows. I think that
it all depends on where you put the minnow trap as to whether it will catch
minnows or not. You can't catch minnows where there are no minnows.

"Bob Rickard" wrote in message
m...
Anyone serious about wanting to trap minnows wants the original Orvis

glass
minnow trap. It will cost you over 50 bucks delivered (see
http://www.vmisales.com/glassminnowtrap/), but it is a lifetime investment
that is worth every penney you pay for it... it really works! Anyone who
actually buys one can email me for complete instructions on how to use &
care for it. I treasure mine.
--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

"bill allemann" wrote in message
m...
Bob,
Around here (St. Louis) wire traps catch almost nothing. A big

improvement
is to
use glass traps, or (much cheaper) you can make one out of those big

clear
acrylic
jars that pretzels come in at Sam's Club. A high degree of transparency
seems to
be the key.
Bill Allemann