Rod length in small creek fishing

Old February 21st, 2004, 02:47 PM
Tim J.

Default Rod length in small creek fishing

"Wolfgang" wrote...
"Peter Charles" wrote...
"Wolfgang" wrote:
"Tim J." wrote...
"Peter Charles" wrote...
snip
I remember going through a length thread years back on whether
short
or long rods were best for small streams -- a dapping vs. casting
argument. Nothing was resolved then either.

If anyone was looking for resolution of *anything*, this sure as
hell wouldn't
be the place to seek it.

I agree.

Um.....well, there, THAT'S settled.

Wolfgang

But didn't we just resolve that we can't resolve . . . .?

Yes, we did.

I'm confused . . . .

Yes, you are.

Wolfgang
hell, this resolution **** is EASY.

I disagree.
--
TL,
Tim

Old February 21st, 2004, 03:38 PM
Willi

rw wrote:

Peter Charles wrote:

I wa just curious why you felt compelled to turn a
****ing contest between two fishermen into a ****ing contest between
two nationalities.

History.

I knew I was doing the wrong thing when I wrote that "yankee" comment,
but I had no idea it would **** off a Canuckistani. :-)

Lazarus's post was provocative. I think he meant it to be so. I couldn't
resist puncturing his Pommie arrogance. :-)

This thread is, IMO, one of the best I've seen on ROFF in recent months,
despite Lazarus's opinion. The lesson I've learned from it is that
everyone has their own unique opinion about how to fish small streams,
and how to retrieve snagged flies. :-) For my part, I'll just use my
trusty workhorse Sage Sp 5wt 8.5' and pull on the line.

I don't much like really small, brushy streams. They can be an
entertaining pastime, and they can hold a few large fish, but they're a
lot of trouble. My ideal stream size is a "river" that is just large
enough that I can't wade across. Then, if I don't catch fish, I can
rationalize it by thinking they're all in those unreachable eddy pools
on the other side.

I find overly brushy stream a PITA. I like to cast.

Although they're hard to find, my favorite waters are smaller waters
that hold big fish. IMO, small waters are usually less traveled and in
prettier setting than large rivers.

Willi

Old February 21st, 2004, 03:51 PM
Jarmo Hurri

Thanks for your insight, Mike. I had never heard about those Vivarelli
reels before, looked quite interesting. I am a bit afraid of cane
myself, because of a) price and b) vulnerability.

Regarding your long "rant" about learning from others or learning by
experience, that piece of text reminded me about Wolfgang's
writings. Simply put: over here speculation is at least half the
fun. Whenever we're not fishing, especially during the winter, we
share ideas and dreams about different places to fish, equipment,
flies etc. This is what we call speculation. Speculation keeps us
mentally close to this superb hobby/lifestyle all the time. Isn't this
what (the minor, on-topic part of) roff is all about? What the heck is
wrong with that?

And as far as rods are concerned, there is also the minor issue of
differences in services in different parts of the world. Especially
our US friends have a much better situation than what we have here up
north, because they obviously _can_ test different rods before making
the purchase. We're not so lucky. And I am as sure as hell not going
to blame anyone if I do not agree with their opinions and
recommendations.

Sorry for the emotional counter-rant. :-)

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .
Old February 21st, 2004, 05:07 PM
JR

Jarmo Hurri wrote:

Whenever we're not fishing, especially during the winter, we
share ideas and dreams about different places to fish, equipment,
flies etc. This is what we call speculation. Speculation keeps us
mentally close to this superb hobby/lifestyle all the time. Isn't this
what (the minor, on-topic part of) roff is all about? What the heck is
wrong with that?

I enjoy reading other folks' thoughts on the subject even though there
is no chance a discussion on rod length for small streams would be of
any "practical" use to me (over the years I've consciously pared down my
once large collection of rods to just a few, each well suited for a
specific task, settling on a single much-loved 7.5-foot, four-weight
cane rod for small streams).

The thoughts expressed on ROFF are influenced greatly by the accidents
of each person's history (which rods he's happened to use, which streams
he's happened to fish), his own interpretation of the words "small" and
"overgrown", his general preferences in rod length and action, his
personal decisions on how many rods are enough, whether (and why) he
likes small stream fishing enough to justify a separate rod for it,
etc. All of that is--or can be--interesting in itself, whether or not
it changes my own decisions on what rod to use.

And for folks whose collection is still in the growth phase g, who may
not yet have a small stream rod or are not real happy with what they do
have, a large, varied, and even contradictory set of public ruminations
may be of practical value.

JR
Old February 21st, 2004, 06:02 PM
Mike Connor

Old February 22nd, 2004, 08:43 PM
lazarus

rw wrote in message ...
Peter Charles wrote:

I wa just curious why you felt compelled to turn a
****ing contest between two fishermen into a ****ing contest between
two nationalities.

SNIP

Lazarus's post was provocative. I think he meant it to be so. I couldn't
resist puncturing his Pommie arrogance. :-)

I've always thought of Roffians as lonely, bitter old men, socially
inadequate, their faces blotched red as they hunch over a computer,
a tumbler of malt whisky close at hand -- cyber-world being the only
place they can nurse their copious grievances and interminable feuds,
since all real human beings avoid them. (this is certainly what I'm
like.)

But I didn't expect to find my cartoon image to be so signally
confirmed as it was by Royal Wulff (what is this thing with Royalty?
the folks round here just treat it something to be suffered, like the
weather.)

As Peter said, no I'm not a Pommie - I can trace my ancestry back
through a line of impoverished farmers to 1723, and there's not a drop
of English blood in my veins. I was American for the first fifteen or
so years of my life, and I've been Irish for about thirty now. But
call my a Pommie if you like. I'm not black, or Jewish, or arab , but
feel free to call me a ******, a yid or a dago. My children have no
English ancestry either, but they *are* partly African, so if you want
to be accurate you can call me a ******-lover. I won't mind, nor will
they, and at least it'll be true.

Most of my fishing in Ireland has been around the border counties that
my family come from - Tyrone, Derry, Fermanagh Leitrim - where there's
been a terrorist war going on for all of my adult life, but in all
that time I've never once, in any fishing bar or hotel, heard a
fisherman insult another for being Catholic or Protestant, or black or
white, or Jewish, American or German. Not even for being English.

Of course short or long rods for bushy streams are a matter for choice
-and, hopefully, for argument, which is something I'm all in favour
of.

I do have a lovely 6' cane rod made for me by the late Lance Nicholson
of Dulverton , the village on Exmoor where Jan Ridd met Lorna Doone .
The rod was made for just these sort of circumstances, but I rarely
use it.
The point about very lightweight rods is that lightweight rod means
lightweight fly means lightweight leader, and a one and a half pound
leader will snap when you're trying to get a fly off a tree a lot
faster than a three pound one. (no, even I don't yank it off with the
rod)

And while very short rods can, in theory, roll cast in a tight space,
they're harder to use when you're on a bank, poking the rod out over
the water in a tiny space, and want to flip the fly upstream. If you
have an eight-foot rod, you can make a little back-cast. If it's a
six-foot one, the fly will come too far back towards the bank.

I still love my little Barle rod, and love using it, but it mostly
stays hung up.

I can see nowhere on my post where I said anything about Yankees, or
any other grouping, apart from roffians, of whom I'm one. But I must
admit that the post looks a bit ebullient. I think I must have been on
the single malt. From my farewell greeting - "m Htp" - I think I'd
mixed up the newsgroups, and thought I was on
alt.history.ancient-egypt.

This thread is, IMO, one of the best I've seen on ROFF in recent months,
despite Lazarus's opinion. The lesson I've learned from it is that
everyone has their own unique opinion about how to fish small streams,
and how to retrieve snagged flies. :-) For my part, I'll just use my
trusty workhorse Sage Sp 5wt 8.5' and pull on the line.

It humiliates me to say so, but I totally agree. Ah well, back to the
single malt....... ;-)

m Htp
TL
Lazarus
Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:56 PM
Wolfgang

"lazarus" wrote in message
om...

...Ah well, back to the single malt....... ;-)

Which, if you had left it alone prior publishing a long and fatuous screed
about things which are apparently a complete mystery to you, would not have
necessitated a long and insipid defense of inscrutable (as well as
indefensible) small stream tactics and an immeasurably tedious genealogical
treatise coupled (miscegentically, no doubt) with a genuine yawner of an
explication of your (presumably, dearly held, if somewhat pedestrian)
notions on race relations and which will, if we are lucky, in all likelihood
result in yet another phantasmagoric venture into the dimly lit corners of
your (judging by the aroma) rather unhygienic little id. One can hardly
wait.

Wolfgang

Old February 22nd, 2004, 11:04 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Wolfgang scolded:

Which, if you had left it alone prior publishing a long and fatuous screed
about things which are apparently a complete mystery to you, would not have
necessitated a long and insipid defense of inscrutable (as well as
indefensible) small stream tactics and an immeasurably tedious genealogical
treatise coupled (miscegentically, no doubt) with a genuine yawner of an
explication of your (presumably, dearly held, if somewhat pedestrian)
notions on race relations and which will, if we are lucky, in all likelihood
result in yet another phantasmagoric venture into the dimly lit corners of
your (judging by the aroma) rather unhygienic little id. ...

Here's some periods for you . . . . . . Use the goddamn things
every now and then why don't ya. And "miscegentically" ?????
Good grief.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old February 22nd, 2004, 11:07 PM
Wayne Harrison

"just al" wrote in message
Dude, that's a lot of adverbs...

oh, for god's sake. you are enough to turn pj roberts into a net nanny.
care to define the difference between "adverb" and "adjective"?

wayno