Gore speaks at Johnny Cash tribute, reads lyrics from song

Old November 12th, 2003, 09:37 AM
Bill Carson

Default Gore speaks at Johnny Cash tribute, reads lyrics from song

From Billboard.com

It was an evening of standing ovations last night (Nov. 10) at the
Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, as performers from the worlds of
country and rock gathered to pay tribute to the late Johnny Cash. The
concert will be broadcast Saturday (Nov. 15) on Country Music
Television.

The evening featured heartfelt renditions of Cash songs performed by
friends and family of the entertainer, who passed away in September.
Gracing the stage were family including daughters Rosanne and Laura
Cash and son John Carter Cash, plus such luminaries as Kris
Kristofferson, Hank Williams, Jr., Brooks & Dunn, Willie Nelson,
Travis Tritt, John Mellencamp, Sheryl Crow, Larry Gatlin, George
Jones, Marty Stuart and Rodney Crowell. Actor Tim Robbins was master
of ceremonies.

There were obvious pairings, such as Kid Rock and Hank Williams, Jr.
on "There Ain't No Good Chain Gang," Tritt and Stuart on "I Walk the
Line" and Nelson and Crow singing "If I Were a Carpenter."

Among the more unusual pairings were Nelson and Kristofferson (the
remaining half of the superstar quartet the Highwaymen -- which also
featured Cash and the late Waylon Jennings), with George Jones and
Hank Williams, Jr. for "The Highwayman." Brooks & Dunn joined Carlene
Carter to perform "Jackson," the best-known of the duets Cash sang
with his late wife June Carter, who died in May.

The show opened with the Fisk Jubilee Singers singing "Ain't No Grave
Can Hold My Body Down," followed by Rosanne Cash performing a poignant
version of "I Still Miss Someone." Crow offered a poignant take on
Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt," which Cash covered to great acclaim on his
final studio album, "American IV: The Man Comes Around."

Marshall Grant, one of the original members of Cash's backing band,
the Tennessee Two, got choked up when he talked about first meeting
Cash and guitarist Luther Perkins at an auto body shop in Memphis.

"When we went in to record for Sun Records, we were going call
ourselves the Tennessee Three, but [label head] Sam [Phillips] said 'I
think it should be Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two.' That was when
Johnny Cash was born, because before that, everyone called him J.R.,"
Grant remembered.

Former Vice President Al Gore was eloquent in praising Cash, whom he
said "spoke for the people who had no one to speak for them" before he
read the lyrics to Cash's song, "Man in Black."

Offering messages on tape were CBS anchor Dan Rather, who acknowledged
Cash's affinity for the downtrodden, and evangelist Billy Graham, who
spoke to Cash's spiritual side. U2's Bono and Whoopi Goldberg also
offered taped messages.

Larry Gatlin was the only performer who played an original song not
recorded by or with Cash. "The morning Johnny passed I tried to go
back to sleep after I got the call," he said of "Man Can't Live With a
Broken Heart Too Long," "but I couldn't, so I did what John did and I
wrote a song about my feelings."

Man in Black lyrics:

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on my back,
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
But is there because he's a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,
Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
About the road to happiness through love and charity,
Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,
In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,
But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,
Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.

I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
Believen' that the Lord was on their side,
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
Believen' that we all were on their side.

Well, there's things that never will be right I know,
And things need changin' everywhere you go,
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

__________________
Old November 12th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Outdoors Magazine

Now only if that were not gratuitous on Gore's part ... guess he forgot
those lyrics when he and Clinton teamed up on NAFTA.

--
James Ehlers

Outdoors Magazine
www.outdoorsmagazine.net

"Bill Carson" wrote in message
m...
From Billboard.com

Old November 12th, 2003, 03:37 PM

Go away Muskie
Old November 17th, 2003, 05:55 AM
it's no joke,Tuco.It's a rope

"++ Now only if that were not gratuitous on Gore's part ... guess he forgot
those lyrics when he and Clinton teamed up on NAFTA.++

I dont remember 3 million jobs being lost under Clinton/Gore, do you?
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:17 AM
John Decker

In article , Gary S. says...

On 16 Nov 2003 20:55:47 -0800, (it's no
joke,Tuco.It's a rope) wrote:

"++ Now only if that were not gratuitous on Gore's part ... guess he forgot
those lyrics when he and Clinton teamed up on NAFTA.++

I dont remember 3 million jobs being lost under Clinton/Gore, do you?

The offical statistics do not show:

Peoiple out of work so long that their unemployment benefits ran out
graduating students not finding jobs
people working for far less money
people hating their survival job, but having no choice

Things are far worse than the published statistics.

None of these people wants a handout, just a decent job at a decent
wage. But in the "new" economy, they don't even exist.

Hopefully, some other country will take pity on us and give us $87
billion to rebuild our economy.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary, ordinarly I try to stay away from political rhetoric and comments, but you
are absolutely correct in your political assessment. Furthermore, there are more
people in Texas that do not have health insurance than any other state.
increased cost of health insurance is another problem that had not been
satisfactorily addressed. It is a sad commentary that the American people have
been fooled by the Bush administration in Washington for so long.

The Bush administration will attempt to balance the Federal budget & state
budgets on the backs of the working middle class and retired persons as Federal
assistance programs are slowly eliminated. Sadly, it looks like the Bush
administration will have four more years in power after November 2004. I hope
that I am wrong!!!

John Decker

Old November 18th, 2003, 03:29 AM
Gene Cottrell

The slippery slide started with Clinton/Gore after Reagan and Bush brought
us to the most prosperous time in history, now it's take most of GW's term
to try to recover from Clinton's lack of financial understanding. It took
Clinton a while but he finally destroyed our economy. Things were really
dying in his last year in office. Thank God Gore didn't get the reigns to
bring us totally to our knees. We could have had the kind of depression FDR
kept us in for 15 years.

Gene

"it's no joke,Tuco.It's a rope" wrote in
message om...

Old November 18th, 2003, 04:49 AM
Frank Looper

"Gene Cottrell" wrote in message
The slippery slide started with Clinton/Gore after Reagan and Bush brought
us to the most prosperous time in history, now it's take most of GW's term
to try to recover from Clinton's lack of financial understanding. It

took
Clinton a while but he finally destroyed our economy. Things were really
dying in his last year in office. Thank God Gore didn't get the reigns to
bring us totally to our knees. We could have had the kind of depression

FDR
kept us in for 15 years.

Gene

You know you're going to have your character assassinated for telling the
truth like that, don't you?

Old November 18th, 2003, 10:24 AM
it's no joke,Tuco.It's a rope

++ The slippery slide started with Clinton/Gore after Reagan and Bush
brought
us to the most prosperous time in history, now it's take most of GW's term
to try to recover from Clinton's lack of financial understanding. It took
Clinton a while but he finally destroyed our economy. Things were really
dying in his last year in office. Thank God Gore didn't get the reigns to
bring us totally to our knees. We could have had the kind of depression FDR
kept us in for 15 years.++

Youhave to be kidding. This post has to qualiy for "dumbest Usenet
post of the year".

Did Clinton lose 3 million jobs?

lol, this post is just hilarious.

Ladies and gentlmen, here is an example of why America is hurting
right now - emotional reactionarism , and little effort to seek out
the facts.