The Stretch Run

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Default The Stretch Run

Carpenter, Wainwright, Pineiro, Lohse and ... SMOLTZ ?!!??!!

Smoltz or no Smoltz I like the Redbirds down the stretch.
In the Central it's only the Cards and the Cubs, the rest
have thrown in the towel, and in a stretch run put your
money on St. Louis.

Today is the 40th anniversary of Ken Holtzman's no-hitter
against the Atlanta Braves at Wrigley Field. The win gave
the Cubs an 8 game lead in the NL and it looked like they
had the '69 pennant all locked up. Holtzman looked untouchable
and the Cubs fans could almost taste the World Series.

Of course, down the stretch run the Cubs folded like a cheap
lawn chair and the Mets, the hapless Mets who had never even
had a winning season to that point, won the pennant.

Yeah, I like the Cards in the Central and I like our chances
in the playoffs with Carpenter and Wainwright at the top of
the rotation.

Gawd, I love baseball.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
george9219

On Aug 19, 9:03*am, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
[...]

Smoltz! Bwaaaahaaaahaaaa! He's part of the reason the Red Sox are
struggling for a wild card spot instead of challenging the Yankees.
Good luck with that.
......although, given the Sox past experience with castoff pitchers,
he'll probably win every game for the rest of the season.
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

wrote:
[...]

Dave Duncan, the Cardinals pitching coach, works wonders with
castoffs and rejects. Smoltz wants to be a starter and the Cards
have six 5th starter spots available the rest of the season. The
Cards need both a 5th starter and a right-handed setup man for
Ryan Franklin. Smoltz can be the 5th starter for six appearances,
which will make him happy, and then become the right-handed setup
man out of the bullpen for the post-season, which will make the
Redbirds happy. If all goes well. We'll see.

.....although, given the Sox past experience with castoff pitchers,
he'll probably win every game for the rest of the season.

No disrespect to the Bostons, but I sure hope so.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 19-Aug-2009, Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Smoltz or no Smoltz I like the Redbirds down the stretch.
In the Central it's only the Cards and the Cubs, the re

Lets go Mets! (Next year)

Fred